Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2015, 10:33 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times

Advertisements

Greetings:

As I continue to visit Florida (and delay my eventual move to Miami Beach), curious what locals use as far as a mosquito repellent.....I have no issue with humidity--in fact, I often tell the Dudley-do-right, politically correct Californians where I live that humidity is actually good for you (take a look at how much better a 40 year old woman has aged in FL vs. CA)--rather, it is the mosquitoes that humidity attracts that is the downside.....aside from spraying a can of Off on my arms and legs, are there any tablets that some of you use (or something else) and have the results been successful or not....thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 11:34 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,925 times
No I don't, they're worse than San Diego but not too bad. At least here on Miami Beach that is. If you go inland, closer to the swamps, they get worse.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:29 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Never

Old 03-07-2015, 08:21 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
I live inland and find that I taste too bad for mosquitoes anyway.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:23 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
At the beach you'll have much less than inland, but still some, especially in darker/more foliage filled areas.

Some areas of the beach they're non-existent, though.

I would just invest in some breathable long sleeve/pant fabric suits. I have one pair of pants in particular that is very lightweight, but keeps me covered from the blood suckers.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:21 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,745,517 times
We plant lemon grass around the patio and other skeeter repellant plants and that helps a lot, we also use Burt's Bees natural repellent if we are going into wooded areas at dusk.

At the beach I doubt you would need them except for no seeums that live in the sand.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:52 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
I've stayed in SoBe several times within the past 14 months and have come back with a number of mosquito bites each time....guess my fair skin must be marbled like a piece of good meat at Bourbon Steak that attracts the little creatures.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:57 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,896,715 times
Except for days when it's really bad or you'll be exposed for multiple hours like on a hike, crushing and rubbing the leaves of one of several different types of plants, such as citronella or lime (something strong and planty-smelling that is non-toxic to human skin), on the exposed parts of the skin is enough. Careful with lime though or others that are highly acidic, because if you then go out into the sun you can get a sunburn. Keep in mind that mosquitoes are drawn to black/dark clothing, the smell of carbon dioxide (your breath), and perfumes. You can also make homemade mosquito traps for very little (look for instructions online) to put around your yard in areas you would like to sit outside - but during the summer that may not be something you want to do anyway. Sometimes all you need is some breeze, so if you're going to sit out on a patio for instance you can set up a fan (protected from rain of course) and an outdoor-rated extension cord, and that will keep you comfortable and also significantly lower mosquito intrusions. It also helps of course to make sure there is no place where you have pooling water (which can be difficult given how much rain hits Miami, especially during the rainy season), and if there are places where water constantly builds up and sits you can either fill it in or put organic mosquito dunks (you can buy them on Amazon) into the areas, which prevent mosquito eggs.

I used to live in the Kendall area of Miami, and these steps were generally sufficient. Now I live in the Upper Keys, which get swarms blown off the Everglades, and there are some days when there are clouds of them and you literally have to run to your car (and still get bit at least 10 times) in the rainy season. Ever since I was a tiny kid, I have always been one of those to whom they are extremely attracted. So here, some of those worst days I need to spray myself with 30% DEET - which I really don't want to do - or treat my yardwork clothes and fabric lawn chairs with Permethrin (which lasts around 6 washings). But that's because I will literally get hundreds of bites in a day if I don't and I have a slight allergy to them so that the bites burn terribly like acid and swell more than for most people, and keep me awake for a full week afterwards. Fortunately, on most days of the year the natural methods are enough.

I am not really a fan of killing things, and especially not for sport, but I must say that I found the mosquito rackets (looks like a tennis racket with the center electrified by a battery) to be pretty effective. It's way easier to hit them than trying to use your hand, so if you're just sitting around watching the sun go down, or want to go on a hunt to clear them out of your space one evening/morning, keeping one on hand is pretty helpful.

Most more urban areas of Miami though don't seem to have too much of a problem, and especially not where there are both a lot of buildings and a good breeze from the waterfront. The further out toward West Kendall, or South toward Homestead, the worse it gets. Obviously, if you live in a high-rise the time you spend there will be relatively mosquito-free.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:44 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,380 times
We get lots of mosquitos on Virginia Key, with all the ponding after heavy rain. Especially the Marine Stadium parking lot. I suppose they could blow across the Bay in to Brickell if there's a strong enough east wind. I keep repellent at the lab and should probably spray some if I'm going to be running, biking, or catching the bus around sunset, but I rarely do. But I do use sun screen a lot. Apply at least to face and neck in the morning, and again if I'm going out running during lunch break. I figure skin cancer is more of a risk than malaria in Miami, and I still get plenty of vitamin D from the times I forget to use it

Old 03-08-2015, 08:15 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I've stayed in SoBe several times within the past 14 months and have come back with a number of mosquito bites each time....guess my fair skin must be marbled like a piece of good meat at Bourbon Steak that attracts the little creatures.
Do you know where you're getting all the bites in South Beach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami