Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 09:34 PM

102 posts, read 271,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I don't understand, you didn't like the area, but you still want to move here? What makes you think black people are so unusual in Miami? Most hispanics come from countries with high black populations. We have plenty of black people down here too, Miami Dade county is almost 20% black. We also have thousands of well behaved black children. Hispanics do tend to pay a lot attention to other people's kids independent of race. What you experience was a culture shock and it didn't happen because your family is black.

<<<CULTURE SHOCK INDEED....>>>

You haven't moved here and already want the city to have a "facelift?" Sounds like you will be very miserable if you move down here, this place is very different from Atlanta. No place is like Atlanta just like no place is like Miami. If you want tropical climate, I suggest you open your own post in the Florida forum. My opinion? Sadly for black people the best places are still South Florida or Jacksonville. You think Miami is bad? Try the Florida West Coast, that's like moving to a small town in Alabama.

<<<JACKSONVILLE SEEMS GREAT - BUT I NEED TO BE IN MIAMI AREA FOR MANY REASONS - BUSINESS AND FAMILY REALTED MOSTLY....I HOPE I WON'T BE MISERABLE BUT I SENSE I WILL BE - SO THATS WHY I AM HOPING TO EASE MY ANXIETY B4 I MAKE THE MOVE - WHICH I GUESS I WILL....>>>

And out of all places you go to Walmart and you expect to meet decent people? That place is the seventh circle of hell.

<<<YEAH - Some Walmarts are hell holes - but not all...but I was cool with it - just shocked I guess.>>>

Last edited by doggiebus; 10-16-2009 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Please do not use red.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
South of County Line Rd? Sounds like you were actually in Miami Gardens. If you were really in Miramar (and if you were, you were in east Miramar), ditto the crappy Publix, since Publix has existed for much longer in Florida and stores in that area date back to the 70s. I think Jamacian Patois is much more common than Spanish in that area, though, and English is definitely number one in NE Dade/East Miramar, so it doesn't sound like you were anywhere near that area. Again, if you were really around there, there is a nicer Publix a little bit west by River Run and another one by Pembroke Rd and Hiatus. There is also a very nice one on University in Pembroke Pines, and out by Monarch Lakes. Also a Whole Foods in Aventura.

Thanks for the feedback - I love it - will check out those areas...this will make husband happy...

Last edited by doggiebus; 10-16-2009 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Please do not use red.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:55 PM

261 posts, read 702,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slmaol View Post
Thanks for the feedback - I love it - will check out those areas...this will make husband happy...
It sounds like you were hanging out mostly in South Broward and the most northern sliver of Miami-Dade. There is a lot more to offer in both counties than just those areas!

I ditto what the earlier posters put:

For Miami-Dade, look at Aventura in the NE, Coral Gables in Central, Miami Lakes in NW, South Miami in SW, and Pinecrest/Palmetto Bay in the SW--this last area is probably where you'll find the best public schools in Miami-Dade

For Broward, look at West Miramar, Pembroke Pines, Cooper City and Weston. Even some parts of Hollywood are nice, but neighborhoods change there very quickly (good to bad within a few blocks).

Last edited by doggiebus; 10-16-2009 at 03:00 PM..

Old 10-14-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs08 View Post
It sounds like you were hanging out mostly in South Broward and the most northern sliver of Miami-Dade. There is a lot more to offer in both counties than just those areas!

I ditto what the earlier posters put:

For Miami-Dade, look at Aventura in the NE, Coral Gables in Central, Miami Lakes in NW, South Miami in SW, and Pinecrest/Palmetto Bay in the SW--this last area is probably where you'll find the best public schools in Miami-Dade

For Broward, look at West Miramar, Pembroke Pines, Cooper City and Weston. Even some parts of Hollywood are nice, but neighborhoods change there very quickly (good to bad within a few blocks).

SURE THING - SO APPRECIATIVE OF YOU TAKING TIME TO MAKE THIS LIST. I AM FAIRLY NEW TO THIS SITE BUT I WILL DEFINITELY PAY IT FORWARD AND GIVE MY 2 CENTS TO OTHER THREADS....THIS IS GOLDEN BEING ABLE TO GET REAL TIME INFO LIKE THIS....REALLY AWESOME...THANKS GUYS...

I hope I did not offend anyone with my 'thoughts' about Miami - but damn I was just shocked...hope I can help do something about some of the 'poverty' I saw and experienced...

Old 10-14-2009, 10:16 PM

261 posts, read 702,674 times
Quote:
SURE THING - SO APPRECIATIVE OF YOU TAKING TIME TO MAKE THIS LIST. I AM FAIRLY NEW TO THIS SITE BUT I WILL DEFINITELY PAY IT FORWARD AND GIVE MY 2 CENTS TO OTHER THREADS....THIS IS GOLDEN BEING ABLE TO GET REAL TIME INFO LIKE THIS....REALLY AWESOME...THANKS GUYS...

I hope I did not offend anyone with my 'thoughts' about Miami - but damn I was just shocked...hope I can help do something about some of the 'poverty' I saw and experienced...
Hey, what can we say? It's definitely a different world down here! The good news is that while you may not be surrounded by what you're used to all the time, there's something for everybody.

I was actually born in Snellville and moved here as a small child, so my parents went through the same thing you're about to go through, albeit 25 years ago. We settled in Kendall and I loved growing up there. The only reason I may not recommend it is because the public schools are OK, not excellent, and the traffic is sooooo heavy. Makes for a miserable rush hour...

Miami IS one of the poorest cities in the US, so I hope we can do something about the poverty as well...we do have a great Habitat for Humanity community down here!

Old 10-16-2009, 12:44 PM

9,471 posts, read 9,343,856 times
Default Gwinnett County, GA

Quote:
These areas are more comparable to Gwinett than anything, but you would probably like Weston, Cooper City, Pembroke Pines and west Miramar. Pembroke Pines and especially Miramar have a fairly large black middle class. The latter two are somewhat far from a Whole Foods, but when I went a Whole Foods store in Plantation, they were doing a customer mapping survey. According to them, they are considering another store somewhere in Pembroke Pines or Miramar. They were originally supposed to build one in Pines but pulled out of the lease.
Gwinnett County is majorly Asian at this point and in great transition, not at all like Weston, Cooper City, Pembroke Pines or West. Miramar.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:03 PM

776 posts, read 1,668,757 times
Quote:

I would look at Broward County west of University Dr. Go to Plantation and you might want to even look as far north as Coral Springs. You can get on the Sawgrass Expressway for a stress free commute.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:41 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,845,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Gwinnett County is majorly Asian at this point and in great transition, not at all like Weston, Cooper City, Pembroke Pines or West. Miramar.
Majority Asian? Is that like how Cooper City is majority black nowadays? There are still far more blacks and (your favorite) Hispanics in Gwinnett than Asians. And yet more whites than all of the above. Also, don't know if you realize this Arichie, but the western halves of Pines and Miramar are up to 15% Asian in some areas. So now you have Cubans bringing their Spanish-speaking Goya foods that won't assimilate and those Asians that are still fighting the war! Speak AMERICAN!

Old 10-16-2009, 01:51 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,845,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
I would look at Broward County west of University Dr. Go to Plantation and you might want to even look as far north as Coral Springs. You can get on the Sawgrass Expressway for a stress free commute.
These are nice areas, but IMO the south side of the county (west of University and especially west of 75) is in better shape. Plantation is aging nicely, but still aging, Sunrise isn't aging well at all, Tamarac west of University is good if your 65, and Coral Springs has better schools than all of these other areas, but seems to be declining. Cooper City, Weston and Davie in particular are in better shape than most of the NW side except for Parkland. Pembroke Pines and (for the most part) west Miramar are also pretty equivalent to Coral Springs, except they seem more stable, without all of the emptying shopping centers like you see on University in Coral Springs. I think the stability comes with being closer to employment centers in Miami.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:06 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,045,966 times
Quote:
So now you have Cubans bringing their Spanish-speaking Goya foods that won't assimilate
"if it's Goya it HAS to be good.

About Goya Foods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami