Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 08:01 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I agree, if you don't like common courtesy or the civility of the Midawest, Miami is the exact opposite. If you want genuine rudeness and aggression, this is the place. If people are nice here, they want something. No, there is no robotic niceness, I know what you are talking about. The customer service here doesn't even follow the "chain" procedures...so you are safe from that lol. And when I have driven in other cities...I would say the drivers here are much more aggressive...but I suppose this is subjective, since other people on here say that this isn't the case.
+ 1000 To the OP, please come down here, you will totally fit it, sounds like a perfect match. Btw, you can have my spot. After 30 plus yrs here, I am so ready for some "fake" niceness and "fake" civility. I'll also take the "illusion of safety" when I watch the news and don't see a nightly murder, rape, or robbery. Ya gotta hate those awful Midwesterners who are known for there "contrived", "self-centered" behavoir. I know I would hate it so much if someone patronized me by holding open a door, it's so much fun to have one slammed in your face. Good luck with your move.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:58 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Thanks for clarifying.

You did, but that's okay.

I think you are referring to the one at Country Isles, which is the only Publix in Weston that I would call "small". There is a small "Latin" section in the frozen foods aisle, and a quarter of an aisle of dry Goya food products in the ethnic aisle, which also has Jewish, Asian, and various other ethnic products. The much bigger Publix at Saddle Club is pretty much the same way. However, your right, this is the USA, and thankfully we have a free market where goods can be produced and sold wherever there is a demand for them. You can't do that in Cuba, that's what makes the United States different. The majority of the products are still low-quality processed foods anyway, produced in American factories by U.S based companies with English labels. Also, if you were that xenophobic, you could have wen down 84 to the Shenandoah Publix in Davie, where the "ethnic" section consisted of frozen garlic bread and ravioli. As an American, you should know how capitalism works and why it works .

Here is a question I have for you...what do you eat that is 100% "American" anyway?

Not sure if this was supposed to be part of the "Goya food" rant or a generalized comment, because it's not relevant to the paragraph, but I'll give you benefit of the doubt, and good for you on leaving, glad you left.

I could see how you would perceive that. You just bumped an old thread to reply to a post that I wrote in February of 2008. Ever heard of selective attention?

Have a nice night, Archie.
I love that kitty pic, too cute, thanks for the laugh!

Old 10-11-2009, 09:34 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I understand some Spanish and I have friends (both Anglo and Hispanic, who understand what is being said in Spanish), so I know they are gossiping about me or other Anglos right in front of us. Not everyone who speaks Spanish lets on that they understand it!
Oh wow do you really think the earth revolves around Anglos? If for any reason I'm in a store or wherever speaking Spanish, neither my friends or I talk about strangers just because they are anglos, and I don't recall other Spanish strangers doing the same thing. If an anglo is rude, I will be more than glad to say what I have to say IN ENGLISH so they can understand my nasty comments, and I would do the same thing in Spanish if the rude person is a Spanish speaking person.

Most people don't go around talking about strangers, they have better and more interesting things to do like talk on their cell phones, buy crap they don't need or flirt with strangers. Regular Anglos are not queen Elizabeth, Princess Diana or Paris Hilton. They are just as uninteresting as everybody else.

And I'm not gonna address the Goya comment, it's simple supply and demand. I've seen many anglos that shop at the Latin restaurants and Bakeries here in Miami. They know the products and even ask for them in their Spanish name. It's Miami and you made the right decision to move to Atlanta if these kind of things bother you because they are not going away any time soon.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:23 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,515 times
They tried making Spanish the legal language of Miami in the early 90s, but it didn't make it, thank goodness.

-------

Wrong. It was the other way around with the "English Only" mouvement.
The "English Only" mouvement failed and the ordinance prohibiting Spanish was reppealed.
Spanish, along with Creole and English are OFFICIAL LANGUAGES in Dade County.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 10-12-2009 at 04:34 AM..

Old 10-12-2009, 03:47 AM

I understand some Spanish and I have friends who understand what is being said in Spanish, so I know they are gossiping about me or other Anglos right in front of us.

---------------

Really? I dobt it very, very much. Understanding colloquial Spanish slang while eavesdropping is quite a feat. You would need to be totally fluent in that language and know local slang. Them foraignn languages are hard to master.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 10-12-2009 at 04:36 AM..

Old 10-12-2009, 05:23 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
I have to jump on this one. I'm an anglo and there's nobody who expects me to know spanish.. but I do speak spanish and no... i have never encountered people speaking badly about me. I've seen it happen, but it was to the point where I almost said something to the white guy because he started everything. What kind of person goes to a colombian restaurant and complains because their english isn't very good and they dont have FRENCHFRIES AND SCRAMBLED EGGS. And yes this guy was yelling.. and yes i was mocking him in spanish too!

The worst people of miami are the dang tourists.. very very rarely have I come across rude hispanics or even whites that are from miami(i am referring to service). Although, the older cuban(i think) woman who works on the Subway on US1 next to SW32 is extremely rude!

Makes me quite sad to see everybody say such horrible things about this city when my experiences were the exact opposite. Ive had waiters give me money when i had money troubles (yes for free), people have gone out of their way to help me out in many different situations. its all about how you are perceived and treat other people. I think the people who complain so much about the rude people are the ones who aren't so friendly theirselves. If you want to hear rude, listen to how a democrat responds when you say that government spending isn't going to save an economy!!!

Last edited by intelfan11315; 10-12-2009 at 05:40 AM..

Old 10-12-2009, 12:03 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Default Uhhh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
I understand some Spanish and I have friends who understand what is being said in Spanish, so I know they are gossiping about me or other Anglos right in front of us.

---------------

Really? I dobt it very, very much. Understanding colloquial Spanish slang while eavesdropping is quite a feat. You would need to be totally fluent in that language and know local slang. Them foraignn languages are hard to master.
Yes, really--they were hispanic friends who told me what was happening and they understand "Spangish" very well.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:12 PM

They probably were pulling your leg.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:14 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Default Not Strangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Oh wow do you really think the earth revolves around Anglos? If for any reason I'm in a store or wherever speaking Spanish, neither my friends or I talk about strangers just because they are anglos, and I don't recall other Spanish strangers doing the same thing. If an anglo is rude, I will be more than glad to say what I have to say IN ENGLISH so they can understand my nasty comments, and I would do the same thing in Spanish if the rude person is a Spanish speaking person.

Most people don't go around talking about strangers, they have better and more interesting things to do like talk on their cell phones, buy crap they don't need or flirt with strangers. Regular Anglos are not queen Elizabeth, Princess Diana or Paris Hilton. They are just as uninteresting as everybody else.

And I'm not gonna address the Goya comment, it's simple supply and demand. I've seen many anglos that shop at the Latin restaurants and Bakeries here in Miami. They know the products and even ask for them in their Spanish name. It's Miami and you made the right decision to move to Atlanta if these kind of things bother you because they are not going away any time soon.
I'm not talking about strangers in stores. I'm talking about people who worked at the same company as us, each and every day!

I had an Anglo friend who TAUGHT Spanish. She said you wouldn't believe what you'd hear on elevators, etc. Some of these Latinas can be quite nasty, I know from personal experience.

Yes, but Miami at one time before the influx of Cubans in the 1960's WAS an Anglo town. For some reason Cubans think they "saved" Miami. Forget it!

And yes, I am so, so glad to be out of there. When dh goes there on business and tries to buy bagels, not a soul in the store understands what he is talking about in Hialeah. They moved to the US and NEVER bothered to learn OUR language. I tried to buy needles in a hobby store once in Miami and not one employee in the entire store knew what "needle" was.

Why did 2/3 of the Anglos leave Miami--they got sick of hearing Spanish. Don't you people understand that? Even if Castro dies, you'll all still stay because you like all the freebies you get here!

Old 10-12-2009, 03:48 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I'm not talking about strangers in stores. I'm talking about people who worked at the same company as us, each and every day!

I had an Anglo friend who TAUGHT Spanish. She said you wouldn't believe what you'd hear on elevators, etc. Some of these Latinas can be quite nasty, I know from personal experience.

Yes, but Miami at one time before the influx of Cubans in the 1960's WAS an Anglo town. For some reason Cubans think they "saved" Miami. Forget it!

And yes, I am so, so glad to be out of there. When dh goes there on business and tries to buy bagels, not a soul in the store understands what he is talking about in Hialeah. They moved to the US and NEVER bothered to learn OUR language. I tried to buy needles in a hobby store once in Miami and not one employee in the entire store knew what "needle" was.

Why did 2/3 of the Anglos leave Miami--they got sick of hearing Spanish. Don't you people understand that? Even if Castro dies, you'll all still stay because you like all the freebies you get here!
If you were to do some traveling and talk to some people on the world, you'd definitely notice that most americans living overseas do not bother to learn that country's language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami