Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,543 times

Advertisements

Is Little Havana dangerous? It's actually much more safe than many other Miami neighborhoods, and has less crime than Miami Beach. Yup. I live in (East) Little Havana and work in Little Havana, and walk its streets literally every day. I will give you my answer based on my experience. And if it matters to you, I am not Latina (although I do speak fluent Spanish).

When I first moved into my neighborhood, other folks said right away -- "Are you crazy?" They said I lived in a dangerous area, with a big drug problem. (I live in SW below 9th Ave.). Yes, like any urban area, including CORAL GABLES, there are robberies here, cars occasionally get broken into, and purses are occasionally snatched. But I have never felt afraid in my neighborhood. I walk to the store. I do go to the local bodegas. I don't walk at night on dark streets -- but that's just common sense in any city.

Yes, there are parts of Little Havana that are safer than others. But a lot of places may seem more dangerous than they really area. I love my large apartment and pay low rent. I'm close to downtown and I95, close to the famous Calle Ocho (which is going through a renaissance) and hey, I guess I benefit from the fear of crime, because it keeps rents low. But Little Havana is becoming more and more a haven for Latino artists/creative folks, and it's a cool, exciting place to be.

If anything, I would recommend brushing up on Spanish speaking skills, because you certainly hear Spanish here much more than you hear English. If you ever want improve your Spanish, move here and you'll have the equivalent of a Spanish-language immersion course! :-)

Old 10-11-2010, 06:28 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,149,344 times
True. Lil Havana is also very pedestrian friendly which is also good for people taking public transport. I like to go to LH cuz it reminds me so much of Miami Beach in some way

Be careful of these kinds of questions now:
A haven for Latino artists? What kind of artists are you talking about? Scam artists?

Old 06-10-2011, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,279 times
Little havana is in fact a dangerous part of miami . It is mostly full of nicaraguans and cubans. Litlle Havana has small gangs but many of them, which causes gang violence . I lived there for 2 years by 4th st and 10th avenue . and my car has been broken into several times . Also I would here gun shots almost every night . And at night if you go by the park I would see a lot of people drug dealing . So in fact , Little Havana is not a safe area .

Old 06-12-2011, 06:07 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,088,411 times
Little Havanna is safe and you only have to worry about your car being vandalized, so you'll need private parking if you have a nice car. You can walk at any hour, and it's one of the few pedestrians areas in Miami. A place very well communicated. Not a ghetto. Rent and property prices are high.

For me, Little Havanna includes part of Coral Gables and extends beyond Bird Road, etc. In fact, most of Dade except black Dade.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:14 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,088,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzoom48 View Post
Little havana is in fact a dangerous part of miami . It is mostly full of nicaraguans and cubans. Litlle Havana has small gangs but many of them, which causes gang violence . I lived there for 2 years by 4th st and 10th avenue . and my car has been broken into several times . Also I would here gun shots almost every night . And at night if you go by the park I would see a lot of people drug dealing . So in fact , Little Havana is not a safe area .
----

I lived on 4th st and 14th avenue. Yes, you have to take care of your car and you friendly pusher is always there, but the place is safe. A lot of locals and old people that call the cops if anything happens. As to shots, some Latins have the tradition of firing during festivities, toques de santo, etc. The Globo area is safe.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:40 AM

609 posts, read 1,135,136 times
Default Thread resurrection? Wow.

I live on 5th ave and 5th St, I haven't had a problem since I moved here in Feb. I actually talk to my neighbors on occasion. I haven't really seen any other Black people around here than myself, but I guess it's for good reason. I still get women that a leary of me that run back into their homes when I pass by or the cross to the other side of the street when they see me coming. I guess that can't be helped. Plus there are some pretty cheap places around here. I wish I would have saw them before I moved where I am now. Could have save myself a few hundred.

I'm loving the fact that I'm so close to the park, but the crossing the river sometimes on the way to school smells horrible. And there is this guy that comes to feed a pack of stray cats under the 1st St bridge, it's kinda cute.

Last edited by Kinetic_A; 06-12-2011 at 09:07 AM..

Old 06-12-2011, 08:58 AM

810 posts, read 1,571,777 times
Thumbs up miami

Miami people love to feed stray cats and ducks, you see them getting offf their cars with huge bags of pet food.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:08 AM

609 posts, read 1,135,136 times
Ducks? I have yet to see a duck around here.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,132 times
Hey Kinetic, do you speak spanish.
I am looking to move there in the next couple weeks. I am black, and I wanted to ask your experience. Also, so pointers!

Thanks

Old 08-13-2011, 09:40 AM

810 posts, read 1,571,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic_A View Post
Ducks? I have yet to see a duck around here.
Really? They are all over the county, around lakes and canals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami