Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 02:41 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times

Advertisements

I lived in Miami from the age of 17-22 and spent about half of my time there plotting my escape to Boston. I have been in Boston for the past three years and I'm now 26. I live with my boyfriend of 4 years.

I want to move back to Miami and can't imagine my life without living in Miami again but he doesn't want to live there until he is in his 50s! He is 28.

He is willing to move to any city in the southeast that is not in Florida. He says he hates florida.

I go back and forth between being okay with that compromise to not being okay with it. I have even begged him to try Miami.... I told him I would even pay all of our rent and bills if he would try it. He still refuses.

I just can't imagine myself living in a city long term that isn't as multicultural as Miami. I don't feel at home in Boston and the other major southern cities seem nice but lacking in other cultures besides white southern folk and black southern folk. If it means anything I am hispanic and culturally jewish I also love Caribbean culture.

My boyfriend is my bestfriend and the love of my life and is the only thing keeping me from plotting my return to Miami. I can't decide if I should make a compromise or not.

Also if anyone knows of any cities similar to Miami please let me know!

I miss the beaches, the Caribbean culture, the food, the friendliness, the beauty, and warm south beach nights under Palm trees ☺️
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 02:52 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,282 times
I wish it were possible to do a "life swap" with somebody: they get to move to your city, and in exchange you get to move to theirs. Personally, I hate Miami. I have lived here way too long, and it honestly does not feel like the real USA. People are not exaggerating when they say that Miami is like an extension of Latin America. If your boyfriend is not Hispanic then maybe Miami is truly not the right city for him. I wouldn't say that Miami is "multicultural". It is diverse in terms of Hispanic nationalities, but that's about it.

I would think that job opportunities are better in Boston?

Old 04-02-2015, 03:16 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,897,831 times
Are the reasons you spent half your time plotting to escape Miami gone now? Have you visited with your boyfriend? Does he hate FL because he's lived here before or what are his reasons based on? My memory isn't great but I kind of remember you being miserable here.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:27 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Trust me Pear I'm in the same boat. I'd love to go back to Miami but my bf doesn't want to move just yet. I'm taking him down there for a week in October so he can see it.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Are the reasons you spent half your time plotting to escape Miami gone now? Have you visited with your boyfriend? Does he hate FL because he's lived here before or what are his reasons based on? My memory isn't great but I kind of remember you being miserable here.
Yes those reasons are gone now. I was forced to move to Miami when i was 17 because I was living in a convent and on the verge of homelessness. I think because I felt like I had no choice but to move to be with family I always felt forced into living in Miami. We have not visited together yet. He spent a couple months down there 4 years ago when we first got together.

I don't know if visitig together will Change his mind.... He seems so certain already ��

His reasons are he just doesn't see florida as a place to live just to visit.

Last edited by Pear Martini; 04-02-2015 at 03:52 PM..

Old 04-02-2015, 03:40 PM

823 posts, read 1,125,109 times
I understand a relationship is give and take, but forcing someone to live in Boston is cruel and unusual punishment! Maybe if he's so opposed to Miami, he might compromise and consider Tampa? Otherwise, you'll have to chose between your relationship, and your desire to be somewhere else. Which do you want more? What makes you happier?

Old 04-02-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
I wish it were possible to do a "life swap" with somebody: they get to move to your city, and in exchange you get to move to theirs. Personally, I hate Miami. I have lived here way too long, and it honestly does not feel like the real USA. People are not exaggerating when they say that Miami is like an extension of Latin America. If your boyfriend is not Hispanic then maybe Miami is truly not the right city for him. I wouldn't say that Miami is "multicultural". It is diverse in terms of Hispanic nationalities, but that's about it.

I would think that job opportunities are better in Boston?

Yes the job market here is better but that's about it. I love the latin culture down there but my boyfriend isn't hispanic so maybe he feels like he will be an outsider?

Old 04-02-2015, 03:53 PM

707 posts, read 1,407,075 times
if your family is in Miami and all you have in Boston is your boyfriend and your miserable, if I was in your shoes I would tell him, I love you but I'm not happy living in Boston and I am moving back home. Nothing
would make me happier if you come back with me but if you don't I understand, I'm still leaving. If he really
loves you he will come back sooner or later. Life is too short, its up to you to make yourself happy, you
can't depend on others for your happiness it very rarely happens.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Trust me Pear I'm in the same boat. I'd love to go back to Miami but my bf doesn't want to move just yet. I'm taking him down there for a week in October so he can see it.

Oh my gosh! We have like the exact same story! I remember when I ised to post about wanting to leave florida you were doing the same! Where are you now? Maybe a vacation with him will change his mind... I mean it's miami not the middle of nowhere!

Old 04-02-2015, 05:21 PM

366 posts, read 516,977 times
It's tough for non Hispanic ppl here in Miami unless money isn't an option. U can live anywhere if u got Money. With the high unemployment, high living costs and low wages it's not the ideal city to come build a empire in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami