Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 10:28 PM

42 posts, read 45,958 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping for some helpful input... My husband and I are looking to move back to Miami but its changed so much... can anyone offer some perspective? If you read thoroughly, you will see I have a lot of questions!!

Backstory - My husband and I moved from Miami to a little town in eastern NC in 2003. In 12 years, we got married (he was my bf at the time of the move), I went back to college and finished, he found a career in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing which he enjoys, and we are new grandparents (too young to be LOL)..

This small town hasn't been terrible, that would be an unfair statement. In the big scheme of things, we grew up and got our "stuff" together. We are now both 39 and need a change. As far as children, we have "his, mine and ours." His two are 17 and 20, mine is now 20 and has a little family of her own. And ours... she's our "do-over"... our world... our ray of sunshine (yep, just a little spoiled), our 8 year old.

Our now dilemma: In the last 3 years, I've been a little unhappy with where we're living. Besides the typical small town, nothing to do, its also a bit more... Its years behind and I still feel culture shock every now and then... I'm Chilean and my husband is Haitian. I still don't feel connected, I don't feel like I'm home. And I'm not entirely happy with our school system. Both, for myself as a teacher, and for my daughter as a 2nd grader!

Miami has changed so much, and managed to be the Forbes worst place to raise a family... which is where our doubts started creeping in... then as I continued to look into Miami, I found that drugs and crime seem to run rampant in schools and finding a place to live is an absolute nightmare... Not to mention that my husband is in pharmaceutical manufacturing, so we have no idea where to even start with his job search... I'm a teacher, so between these two salaries, is it even a smart financial move?? We both grew up in the suburbs of Kendall in the late 80's and 90's and moved to West Kendall.. but it's all changed so much...

And...no to mention that fact that I feel like I've become very cynical in the last couple of years, and its not like me at all!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 02:35 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCityLife View Post
I'm hoping for some helpful input... My husband and I are looking to move back to Miami but its changed so much... can anyone offer some perspective? If you read thoroughly, you will see I have a lot of questions!!

Backstory - My husband and I moved from Miami to a little town in eastern NC in 2003. In 12 years, we got married (he was my bf at the time of the move), I went back to college and finished, he found a career in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing which he enjoys, and we are new grandparents (too young to be LOL)..

This small town hasn't been terrible, that would be an unfair statement. In the big scheme of things, we grew up and got our "stuff" together. We are now both 39 and need a change. As far as children, we have "his, mine and ours." His two are 17 and 20, mine is now 20 and has a little family of her own. And ours... she's our "do-over"... our world... our ray of sunshine (yep, just a little spoiled), our 8 year old.

Our now dilemma: In the last 3 years, I've been a little unhappy with where we're living. Besides the typical small town, nothing to do, its also a bit more... Its years behind and I still feel culture shock every now and then... I'm Chilean and my husband is Haitian. I still don't feel connected, I don't feel like I'm home. And I'm not entirely happy with our school system. Both, for myself as a teacher, and for my daughter as a 2nd grader!

Miami has changed so much, and managed to be the Forbes worst place to raise a family... which is where our doubts started creeping in... then as I continued to look into Miami, I found that drugs and crime seem to run rampant in schools and finding a place to live is an absolute nightmare... Not to mention that my husband is in pharmaceutical manufacturing, so we have no idea where to even start with his job search... I'm a teacher, so between these two salaries, is it even a smart financial move?? We both grew up in the suburbs of Kendall in the late 80's and 90's and moved to West Kendall.. but it's all changed so much...

And...no to mention that fact that I feel like I've become very cynical in the last couple of years, and its not like me at all!!!
It would be a big and risky challenge since it appears that you do not have the independent financial muscle to move into one of Miami's better neighborhoods immediately.

You mention that your husband would have to depend on finding a job with an employer and that he has no connections at all in the industry in Miami.

Those are two big red flags.

Miami is not the kind of city to come to seek one's fortune; Miami is the kind of city to come to spend one's fortune. Ask Henry.

I suggest coming up with a different strategy - and a different mind-set - regarding the "cultural place" issue; financial problems are relatively easy to calculate, cultural ones nigh impossible.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 04-10-2015 at 02:59 AM..

Old 04-10-2015, 04:05 AM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,802 times
I think you could make it work in Broward if you find the right location and places change for the better I mean their are a lot of bio companies in Palm Beach and Broward so I don't think your husband will have as big an issue as would think. Why continue to stay in a place that makes you unhappy or unmotivated ? If you could give a budget I can help suggest some neighborhood to live in. Miami offers a lot more than did just 8 years ago and I think is changing to help develop a well rounded city. Plenty of successful people out of Miami and I think people get confused having a corporate job is success which in some ways that is very traditional but what your husband is doing is the future. Tech, Pharmaceuticals and Health are some of the fastest growing highest paid professions.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:36 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Miami has changed so much since you were here. I had a friend that also grew up in Kendall and moved his family back to Miami for many reasons (weather, family, friends, etc) a few years ago. We all told him don't do it, and well he is now living in Charlotte North Carolina.

His wife couldn't stand the weather (she's a runner), the drivers (she got hit by a car while running), he couldn't find work in his field (luckily she had a job), the culture shock was a huge issue too I believe (that won't be as much of an issue for you guys). He was amazed at how much it had changed for the good in some ways, but it still had so many bad things for him and his family.

What I would suggest is come down for a week in August, stay at hotel in an area you might potentially like to live.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:53 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
^^^ i was actually going to suggest the charlotte area lol.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:00 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
I currently live in the Kendall area of Miami and think it's decent at best.
Traffic has gotten to be a nightmare, but that's the least of it really.

Overall, it's still a decent area, but housing prices are going up quickly now, so finding affordable housing will be a challenge. Rents are high too. Housing stock seems to be aging and is not what it once was back in the 90s, when Kendall was new and glamorous. It's still OK, but one can tell it's aging and looking "dated" now...
Like aging tract homes with the faux-Mediterranean look.... Many neighborhoods are looking tired and worn out.. .

Old 04-10-2015, 07:21 AM

42 posts, read 45,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
I think you could make it work in Broward if you find the right location and places change for the better I mean their are a lot of bio companies in Palm Beach and Broward so I don't think your husband will have as big an issue as would think. Why continue to stay in a place that makes you unhappy or unmotivated ? If you could give a budget I can help suggest some neighborhood to live in. Miami offers a lot more than did just 8 years ago and I think is changing to help develop a well rounded city. Plenty of successful people out of Miami and I think people get confused having a corporate job is success which in some ways that is very traditional but what your husband is doing is the future. Tech, Pharmaceuticals and Health are some of the fastest growing highest paid professions.
Thank you so much all of you for your input so far! Actually, Chrarlotte to far from the beach and its pretty dirty... very metropolitan like Miami, but so busy, no community, family feel. I actually have family in Miami, which is why we were even considering moving back.

Broward was something else we were thinking about, but again, I have no idea where to start... relocating is scary, but I know for my 8 year olds sake its something we're going to have to do in order for her to have more opportunity and resources available to her! I have 8 years teaching experience and the salary schedules are so difficult to understand, so I'll guess around 43-45K. My husband was making $18 an hour here... is that even comparable?

We haven't looked at any pharmaceutical companies in the froward county area, so I guess we'll start there... PHEW, scary stuff when you have to be "mature" about moving... it was easy 13 years ago when I was fearless, and left with my 8 year old and what fit in my car... LOL

Old 04-10-2015, 07:50 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,152,879 times
No offense is intended by this post but you're both making little money, it clearly shows you're not in demand in Charlotte.

You might make this move to Miami work, but there is great chance you will burn through whatever savings you have and become frustrated and helpless. In my industry (I'm an iOS developer) I get people (single) who are earning 120k an year wanting to move down here, and I encourage them caution, with you I encourage you don't even attempt it.

Your 8 year old needs more stability and good schools than Miami weather and city amenities.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:06 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCityLife View Post

Weston

Old 04-10-2015, 09:12 AM

95 posts, read 280,329 times
I live in Miami and looking to move to NC. Salaries are not cutting it for both my husband and I to own a home. Taxes and insurance are through the roof. Traffic is horrible. Commutes for both of us is an hour and a half. We are at our wits end. I do love Miami, I really do. I was born here. It's changed to the point where I am questioning whether we should stay here or go somewhere else to raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami