Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 10:52 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times

Advertisements

Best thing about Miami is Flo Rida. Flo Rida is amazing.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:00 AM

278 posts, read 316,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn78 View Post
I bet if you were of the working class and commuting every day trying to make ends meet you might have a completely different view point? Have you lived here 20 or more years? What do you do? Single or supporting a family? You must be single, gay or high income that facilitates one to look in from the outside in. Miami is a horrible matrix and unless you're a very wealthy person, life is very, very difficult, immigrant or non immigrant.
Moved here for college from new york in mid 2005 from middle to low income family. Recent college grad, black, married. I live in brickell and have an asian wife. Both have a bit of college debt and both work. I commute on the 112, 95, 836 west bound and macarthur everday, 6-7 times a day to meet clients. Save to say I am in miami traffic 80% of my workday including 530pm southbound on 95. Neither of us make ton of money but we are both smart and save/invest. Just bought a condo here on brickell and are about to buy a car. Started our own business last year and are in the process of expanding. Hopefully baby in the oven by the end of next year. I have plenty of my college friends who also are doing the same here in Miami after graduation. Most are successful. Some leave but end up coming back because of the job opportunities down here for small businesses. Miami is what you make of it.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:51 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,925 times
Quote:
I bet if you were of the working class and commuting every day trying to make ends meet you might have a completely different view point? Have you lived here 20 or more years? What do you do? Single or supporting a family? You must be single, gay or high income that facilitates one to look in from the outside in. Miami is a horrible matrix and unless you're a very wealthy person, life is very, very difficult, immigrant or non immigrant.
If you're poor you're going to be miserable many places, not just Miami.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:47 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrekid View Post
Wow why is there so much hate on here for Miami? I love this city! If you just glance around brickell, midtown, wynwood, Edgewater or the design district how can you hate this place. Its basically a combo or Monaco, New York and Los Angeles
So we should judge a city based on its aesthetics? And really, Miami is hardly comparable to any of those places.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
If I may another tid bit to this ever so popular and unfortunate "Cons of Miami" thread.

Being a WHITE ANGLO over 50 years old, growing up in a part of rural Florida that is very close to Dade County for over 53 years, I can tell you I am fed up with our hispanic neighbors. Miami WAS a wonderful place to grow up and live but President Carter was the one who allowed Miami to become the SEWER it is today by allowing the Mariel Boatlift Cubans Card Blanche which continued until the Clinton administration
I can remember when Miami still had a good amount of southern white residents. Nowadays it's such a rarity to see white folk in Miami - you have to go specific areas in the county. And yes, Carter totally messed things up by taking in Castro's toilet bowl flushing.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
One of the things I often hear people complain about is Miami's high cost of living.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:48 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrekid View Post
Moved here for college from new york in mid 2005 from middle to low income family. Recent college grad, black, married. I live in brickell and have an asian wife. Both have a bit of college debt and both work. I commute on the 112, 95, 836 west bound and macarthur everday, 6-7 times a day to meet clients. Save to say I am in miami traffic 80% of my workday including 530pm southbound on 95. Neither of us make ton of money but we are both smart and save/invest. Just bought a condo here on brickell and are about to buy a car. Started our own business last year and are in the process of expanding. Hopefully baby in the oven by the end of next year. I have plenty of my college friends who also are doing the same here in Miami after graduation. Most are successful. Some leave but end up coming back because of the job opportunities down here for small businesses. Miami is what you make of it.
Wow, you have my prayers, with that much exposure to Miami expressways!

Seriously it sounds like with your energy, determination and mindset, you'll do well in Miami, and in fact, would do well anywhere you decided to live. And be a credit to anywhere you went.

I wish you and your wife much happiness, and success, and it certainly sounds as though you have what it takes to get there.

And be careful on those highways!

Old 04-17-2015, 04:08 PM

366 posts, read 517,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
I can remember when Miami still had a good amount of southern white residents. Nowadays it's such a rarity to see white folk in Miami - you have to go specific areas in the county. And yes, Carter totally messed things up by taking in Castro's toilet bowl flushing.
you got to go to cooper city to find white folk lol

Old 04-17-2015, 04:57 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
I love Miami, I do not want to live any where else in the US.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:44 AM

683 posts, read 853,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I always get a kick out of posters who, when trying to belittle others, make their own comical mistakes, that in effect, turn the point that they're trying to make back onto themselves.

It's usually someone calling another poster stupid, but in doing so, usually does something stupid themself. Here we have deboinair claiming that I can't read, when in fact, it is deboinair who misread my post, lol.

I wrote I-195, not I-95.
Both of you are in denial about Miami, so it is what it is. I primarily was focusing on the culture about Miami. Highways blah,blah,blah. It's still an overcrowded non English speaking city with ****ed up traffic. *shrugs shoulders*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami