Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 05:38 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,109,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
A friend of mine brings his family from small town Alabama to visit family in the Miami area. He asks me why the homes in this area look so run down, with no trees and cars parked all over a dead lawn. His kids laugh at the iron fences, iron bars, and concrete yards painted red. Of course they did notice Coral Gables and said it looked like a town near there own but really laughed when I told them how expensive it is. In my mom's neighborhood only her home has large trees, a green lawn and that neat tidy appearance, along with a handful of others, all elderly residents and non-Hispanic. My friend asks me plainly, does Miami have the ugliest yards in Florida? He says that some of the poorest areas in Al are not as ugly, despite having homes in various states of decay. Oh and he really thought seeing Mackle homes with fake columns, arches and the like is a hoot. Realistically I pointed out that throughout the US, you can tell the wealth of an area by its lot size and tree canopy. Miami is an exception because here bad taste knows no economic boundaries. I seem to get the same questions from every middle class friend I have from other, non bubble areas of the US.
I just returned from a road trip to the Midwest. I drove solely on Highway 231 through Alabama, TN, KY and Indiana. I saw lots of small towns, parts of Montgomery, AL, Huntsville, AL, etc. Beautiful!!!!! Large trees, neat lawns, cars parked on driveways, not all over the front lawn, etc. So different from the urban and suburban parts of south Florida!

Gad, when will people start planting trees (not spindly palms) in their yards? When will cars be parked on pavement, not lawn. It really is ugly down here..... and so hot. More trees = more shade, = cooler temps and higher property values. I believe that some nationalities just don't like plants, too much bother, they attract snakes, etc. We supposedly live in a subtropical paradise , create one in your own yard.

Imo this part of Florida is Hell! In sooo many ways!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 11:51 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,403,794 times
I can see where OP is coming from. In Miami those neighborhoods he's posted looks very similar to hood areas within Bham. That's one thing I also notice while living in Miami and Bham. Nice neighborhoods can go for around the same price as a two story house in Alabama.

Bham.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5365...fA!2e0!6m1!1e1

Miami.

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7820...u8JQ!2e0?hl=en

Old 05-31-2015, 06:11 AM

471 posts, read 619,103 times
OT,

Miami holds a sizable African American population, a lot greater than the AA population found in most metropolitan cities.

That is the key factor for the fences.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:29 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,698,246 times
A nice surprise was a home I saw in the Northside area with what looks like a food forest instead of a lawn. Another one is close to 27 ave and NW 79 street. So the "African" communities can be nice too. It seems like the desertification comes from rental properties where lazy landlords and indifferent tenants make no effort to beautify. When I rented out homes I let my tenants plant whatever they wanted and was pleasantly surprised how some seemed to care. It seems to be more of a Cuban thing to be treeless. Even Hatians seem to like their tropical fruits, and Ackee is common in their yards.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:56 AM

142 posts, read 271,352 times
Default Ugliest Yards in Florida

In Reference to the people of Alabama there are more PHD's, Scientist and Engineers in Huntsville Alabama than Miami combined and probably the whole state of Florida. Alabama has a very large presence with the Department of Defense and Missile Defense Agency which guards Americans from Missile Attacks, so generalizations about people from Alabama should be taken with a grain of salt.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:18 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,781,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidac View Post
In Reference to the people of Alabama there are more PHD's, Scientist and Engineers in Huntsville Alabama than Miami combined and probably the whole state of Florida. Alabama has a very large presence with the Department of Defense and Missile Defense Agency which guards Americans from Missile Attacks, so generalizations about people from Alabama should be taken with a grain of salt.
What ????

Old 06-03-2015, 03:31 PM

142 posts, read 271,352 times
Google is your friend Miami has around 24% with a bachelors or higher where as Huntsville has around 36% facts are facts it's no secret that Miami is not the bastion of Higher Education.

Last edited by spidac; 06-03-2015 at 03:41 PM..

Old 06-04-2015, 05:04 AM

1,905 posts, read 2,781,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidac View Post
Google is your friend Miami has around 24% with a bachelors or higher where as Huntsville has around 36% facts are facts it's no secret that Miami is not the bastion of Higher Education.
Haha very funny and to be fair Birmingham, AL is 22 percent so nice try at using a small city in Alabama known for higher education and high wage jobs. Jupiter the rate is 44 percent so how is that for a
comparison.

P.S. The latest statistics are from 2012 American Community Survey which is out of date and many reports have shown Miami educated populace growing specifically in Brickell which has high amounts of affluence. Lastly poor neighborhoods like Little Haiti or Little Havana skew the numbers so to me its not fair assessment as some cities have annexed very wealthy suburbs into their city making it seem a certain way its not.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:32 PM

7,728 posts, read 6,409,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
There are plenty of trees being planted in Hialeah along with new sidewalks and streets, so there are many improvements being made in a blue-collar middle- class neighborhood
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.8194...HAZA!2e0?hl=en
Hardly barren:
Compared to Atlanta, yes, very barren

Old 06-21-2015, 09:47 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,698,246 times
Strangely the weather has not been normal, and the lack of rain has kept the lawns around here brown and ugly. I remember weather like this in 1986 which was the reason I put a sprinkler system in my parents yard then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami