Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 09:46 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post

Coming from the friendly South, you will have some sticker shock and wonder why there are so many mean and agressive people, not rude necessarly, but they will leave the impression of MEAN...it is a big difference from other big cities where you would see rudeness. Here there is so much indifference and detachment, people don't even care enough to be rude LOL. But you will see this when you ask for help in stores, if you expect a "your welcome" back, need eye contact, if you are lost, if you have a question, etc.
Raleigh isn't the friendly "south" (visit up there, it's more like transplanted geek central, not saying that in a negative way) and the last statement is just about as far from untrue as possible. I mean it happens, like anywhere else...even in *gasp* the promised land of Cary, NC I experienced the same thing a couple of times...Miami has generally detached customer service though...

Point being, there are more legitimate things to complain about than "poor customer service", which is more of a human race problem than a Florida problem. And I wouldn't recommend anything south of the Broward line to the OP, because if you were speaking for Miami, than that whole post was pretty much spot on, and your list was spot on for the region as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 09:54 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times
LOL that was funny...I have never been to Cary NC but I am sure it isn't utopia, or else I would be there!

But I have had the personal experience of better customer service, less hostility and more friendliness in other places outside of South Florida...no where is perfect...but this isn't the run of the mill "there are all kinds of people" problem I am talking about....
We are a very...mmmm I am searching for a euphemism....unique and passionate??? LOL. Let's let the OP come visit and he can make the call....because we know that we all have different views on life and people in this forum...

Old 01-20-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I am sure it isn't utopia, or else I would be there!
Yeah, me too!

Quote:
We are a very...mmmm I am searching for a euphemism....unique and passionate??? LOL. Let's let the OP come visit and he can make the call....because we know that we all have different views on life and people in this forum...
LOL that's definitely it! Good advice there. It's WAY different from Raleigh, which I have likened to a Honda Accord (good manners, does everything well for an alright price, but...perhaps a little too well?). Miami/South Florida could be likened to anything from a Maybach 62 to a makeshift 57 Chevy pickup gone raft! I would say Fort Lauderdale is a...hmm...it's some type of a fairly expensive sports car that can be adaptable, but still isn't for everyone and has some quirky road manners. I'm just trying to think of the right car to describe it...maybe a Corvette? Nah, because the Corvette is too good of a deal in the sports car world. Fort Lauderdale isn't too good of a deal in the towns and cities world. Actually, yeah, a Corvette would be about right. Somewhat adaptable, but still a fairly expensive sports car at the end of the day.

Then again, you go to Weston and that is the BMW 5 series of cities. Go to Cooper City and you are talking about some kind of minivan. It's all variable.

Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Chelito23 again.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 01-20-2008 at 10:19 AM..

Old 01-20-2008, 11:35 AM

518 posts, read 2,226,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I would say Fort Lauderdale is a...hmm...it's some type of a fairly expensive sports car that can be adaptable, but still isn't for everyone and has some quirky road manners. I'm just trying to think of the right car to describe it...maybe a Corvette? Nah, because the Corvette is too good of a deal in the sports car world. Fort Lauderdale isn't too good of a deal in the towns and cities world. Actually, yeah, a Corvette would be about right. Somewhat adaptable, but still a fairly expensive sports car at the end of the day.
At the risk of hijacking this thread, I'd have to say Fort Lauderdale's a Jaguar -- flashy, good-looking, but VERY high-maintenance, with costly repairs often necessary.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
At the risk of hijacking this thread, I'd have to say Fort Lauderdale's a Jaguar -- flashy, good-looking, but VERY high-maintenance, with costly repairs often necessary.
Yeah, that's about right! I should of factored in the hurricanes before picking a domestic, LOL!

Old 01-20-2008, 11:56 AM

975 posts, read 3,730,920 times
I agree with this, the few times I've been to NC I didn't find the people incredibly friendly either (they weren't exactly rude though, just indifferent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Raleigh isn't the friendly "south" (visit up there, it's more like transplanted geek central, not saying that in a negative way) and the last statement is just about as far from untrue as possible. I mean it happens, like anywhere else...even in *gasp* the promised land of Cary, NC I experienced the same thing a couple of times...Miami has generally detached customer service though...

Point being, there are more legitimate things to complain about than "poor customer service", which is more of a human race problem than a Florida problem. And I wouldn't recommend anything south of the Broward line to the OP, because if you were speaking for Miami, than that whole post was pretty much spot on, and your list was spot on for the region as a whole.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:12 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
I agree with this, the few times I've been to NC I didn't find the people incredibly friendly either (they weren't exactly rude though, just indifferent)

I thought they were too friendly was strange for me people waving as you pass them on the road?

I stayed in lumberton NC

Old 01-22-2008, 05:47 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,611 times
I'm just curious... do you still have to pay money for a moving van from Raleigh to Miami or are they giving them away just to get them down here for the more profitable Miami->Raleigh trip? Last Novemeber the rates were $65 Raleigh->Miami, $1600 Miami->Raleigh. This was for U-haul vans.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:33 PM

100 posts, read 364,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I'm just curious... do you still have to pay money for a moving van from Raleigh to Miami or are they giving them away just to get them down here for the more profitable Miami->Raleigh trip? Last Novemeber the rates were $65 Raleigh->Miami, $1600 Miami->Raleigh. This was for U-haul vans.
Holy crap!!

I thought you were exaggerating. So, I checked it myself.

From Budget, rates for a 24 ft. truck:

Miami to Raleigh: $1,799.10

Raleigh to Miami: $89.25

If it isn't already, the differential in the price of a rental truck leaving vs. coming into a city should be used as an economic marker. The "U-Haul Index", if you will.

By the way, as an intra-state comparison, the rate from Orlando to Raleigh is $989.10.

Last edited by d40372; 01-22-2008 at 09:52 PM..

Old 01-22-2008, 09:45 PM

100 posts, read 364,621 times
Come to think of it, that 24-footer would make a hell of a sweet party van for spring breakers.

Unfortunately, you'd have to pay for a plane ticket to get back to the Tar Heel State.

Then again, if you loaded the truck up with enough cheap NC cigarettes and sold them in Miami, you could buy your return flight ticket with the proceeds.

That'd be legal, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami