Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 03:27 AM

7 posts, read 4,304 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

We are currently in discussions with a company who have offered my husband a job in the Miami area. We would be moving from the UK ( 2 adults and 2 dogs). We wondered if any of you could give us advice on what we need to consider? We have looked into renting a house in Homestead( we know it's a bit out, but think it looks nice). However we are open to suggestions about everything from where would be good to live, to how easy it is to find a job for me.

We also need some advice on how high the tax rate is etc (every website says something different!)

If anyone has a little time to help us out that would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 03:47 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,631,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRhy View Post
Hi guys,

We are currently in discussions with a company who have offered my husband a job in the Miami area. We would be moving from the UK ( 2 adults and 2 dogs). We wondered if any of you could give us advice on what we need to consider? We have looked into renting a house in Homestead( we know it's a bit out, but think it looks nice). However we are open to suggestions about everything from where would be good to live, to how easy it is to find a job for me.

We also need some advice on how high the tax rate is etc (every website says something different!)

If anyone has a little time to help us out that would be great!
Hello and we need some more information!
#1: Where is your husband's job located?
#2: Why are you considering Homestead?
#3: What kind of Job are you looking for?
#4: Florida has no personal State Income tax so the only taxes you would be paying are to the Federal Government and on things you buy (Sales tax) and that excludes food & medicine.

Welcome to crazy Florida! (PS: We have about a half Million ex-Brits already living in the Miami metro area) You will find them easily!

Old 06-03-2015, 04:19 AM

Hi bobdreamz,

Thanks for the reply -its all a bit scary and any help is so gratefully received!

My husbands job would be based in Kendall. We were looking at homestead as we thought it would be a bit quieter than the city!

I am a scientist and have a doctorate. Looking for a chemistry based job. I see there are a lot available but wondered how easy getting a job as an ex pat was.

What is the federal tax rate? Also what do you think the cost of living would be?

Old 06-03-2015, 07:35 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,471,332 times
OP - I'm going to assume you'll be renting at first, do you know what your rental budget will be?

Old 06-03-2015, 07:38 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,748,572 times
I would not consider homestead if your Husband's job is in Kendall, if you want quiet Redlands is much nicer and super calm. Chemistry jobs are with WASA, DERM and FIU which are all Government jobs. My Hubby is a Chemist that works for DERM and has worked in the private sector in Miami when we had more of them. Currently there is a chem three position for ( department of environmental resource aka DERM) but there are also some pharma companies that are still located in south Florida so there may be opportunity there as well.

Consider areas like Redlands, the falls, very west Kendall for rentals, homestead would be a long commute for Kendall.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:21 AM

Thanks for that! We would be renting as we don't want to sell our UK home yet. Ideally we don't want to spend more than $1500 a month on rent -but that depends on the tax too!

Old 06-03-2015, 08:45 AM

$1500 may be a little low to get you in a nice Single Family home in Kendall. You'd probably have to come up to $2000-2500 to get a single family home near Kendall. You can probably get a townhouse in Kendall for that price range. Stay as far east in Kendall as you can preferably east of the Turnpike.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:52 AM

$1500 seems a fortune from this side of the pond! I'm beginning to get the idea we need to considerably up our budget! How long would it take to drive from Homestead to Kendall?

Old 06-03-2015, 09:15 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,631,156 times
Quote:
$1500 seems a fortune from this side of the pond! I'm beginning to get the idea we need to considerably up our budget! How long would it take to drive from Homestead to Kendall?
SRhy? where is your husband's job located in Kendall? We can give you more answers. Realize Miami is a very compact Metropolitan area with nearly 6 Million residents so traffic is always going to be a mess!

Old 06-03-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Miami isn't cheap that is for sure (its not the most expensive either), salaries in Miami don't always match up with the cost of living. You should look into car insurance rates, when factoring in your budget. As we have one of the highest car/rental home insurance rates in the US.

As far as travel time, thats a hard answer, because it depends on traffic and where in Kendall or Homestead you are going to. It can take 20 minutes to an hour if traffic is bad. A friend of mine just complained it took her an hour to get from Kendall to Homestead, because traffic was bad one evening last week.

Before you rent anything in Homestead, I would HIGHLY suggest a trip to see the area. As Homestead isn't for everyone.

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-03-2015 at 09:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami