Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 07:52 PM

205 posts, read 285,007 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's just my own experience, but does anyone else think that there are far more New Yorkers IN Miami than Miamians (born and raised or living there most of their lives) living in New York? New Yorkers go for the weather in most cases, but considering the fact that Miami has a much worse off economy than NY when it comes to jobs, salaries and all that, one would think that more Miamians would head North at least for economic reasons.

Any thoughts?

Also, if any Miamians here DO live in NY or any other Northern city, how has it been for you in your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 07:57 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,942,754 times
Most of the not retired NYers who I know who moved down to Miami ended up moving back to NY.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Most of the not retired NYers who I know who moved down to Miami ended up moving back to NY.
Yes, I've met those or people who are immigrants from another country, lived up North, tried living in Miami and couldn't get used to it. But I've never met someone born and/or raised in Miami who ever moves North at least not permanently.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:02 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,652 times
It's cold and more expensive than Miami. Not to mention NYC has some of the highest net migration in the country. If Miamians are there they're probably not staying too long. Not much reason to go to northern economic hubs (NYC, Boston, Chicago) for long periods of time when there's been a relative abundance of opportunities in cheaper places (Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston, Denver).

Old 08-04-2015, 09:27 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,628,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunniholm View Post
Maybe it's just my own experience, but does anyone else think that there are far more New Yorkers IN Miami than Miamians (born and raised or living there most of their lives) living in New York? New Yorkers go for the weather in most cases, but considering the fact that Miami has a much worse off economy than NY when it comes to jobs, salaries and all that, one would think that more Miamians would head North at least for economic reasons.

Any thoughts?

Also, if any Miamians here DO live in NY or any other Northern city, how has it been for you in your experience?
I'm not sure why you think Miami has a worse off Economy than NYC. That all depends on the occupation & wages of a person.
Another factor to realize is that Miami has no "personal city Income tax" or a "State personal Income tax" either. So it's cheaper to live in Miami than NYC on a Cost of Living basis.
Perhaps the better Question for you is why have New Yorkers been moving to Miami for over 100 years now and not vice versa?

Old 08-05-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I'm not sure why you think Miami has a worse off Economy than NYC. That all depends on the occupation & wages of a person.
Another factor to realize is that Miami has no "personal city Income tax" or a "State personal Income tax" either. So it's cheaper to live in Miami than NYC on a Cost of Living basis.
Perhaps the better Question for you is why have New Yorkers been moving to Miami for over 100 years now and not vice versa?

Well because the unemployment rate is slightly higher in Miami and salary ratio to cost of living is or seems worse than NYC. But it's true that since there is no income tax down there probably things are a little bit easier in terms of cost of living.

I would love to move to Miami, but feel with my degree there would not be anything for me down there. New Yorkers go down there, if they can, due to the awful weather here, congestion, brutal taxes, etc.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:12 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,942,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunniholm View Post
Well because the unemployment rate is slightly higher in Miami and salary ratio to cost of living is or seems worse than NYC. But it's true that since there is no income tax down there probably things are a little bit easier in terms of cost of living.
Miami is still mostly a tourism and personal services based economy. Translation: high turnover, low pay. Keeping an extra ten percent of low pay is still low pay. Many people working part time jobs which is not reflected in the unemployment rates. In fact, Miami is rated most expensive for millennials right now, not NYC (accounting for pay and housing cost). Of course, in Miami you also have to account for a car payment + expensive insurance on top of the expensive rent and low pay. Well, unless you make enough to afford downtown Dadeland or Brickell and your job happens to be along the single Metro line (unlikely), either that or you live and work on the Beach (slightly more likely). And if you work multiple jobs, forgeddaboudit, public transport would not work for you here--get behind everyone else who's stuck in traffic. Of course, IF you can make good money, you will of course get more for your money than you would in NYC.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:13 PM

105 posts, read 106,449 times
I'm from Broward County, and moved up to NY/NJ area. I'll be leaving there soon, and I'll leave it at that.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:15 PM

105 posts, read 106,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
It's cold and more expensive than Miami. Not to mention NYC has some of the highest net migration in the country. If Miamians are there they're probably not staying too long. Not much reason to go to northern economic hubs (NYC, Boston, Chicago) for long periods of time when there's been a relative abundance of opportunities in cheaper places (Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston, Denver).
Booyah.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:18 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,473,343 times
Usually its the NYers that move to Miami in droves at least the older Jewish and Italian populations not as much as they used to be still a great deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami