Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 12:00 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,570,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I never understood people's obsession with chefs and restaurants. It's just food that you can easily cook at home. It's not like those chefs have magical hands and food is gonna transform into manna. Who cares if your food was cooked by Perequito Perez or some 5 starred Michelin chef? If you like the food, eat it, it will eventually end up in the toilet anyway.
Sounds like McDonalds is your everyday fare, and Red Lobster is gourmet for you.

I never eat in a low end chain restaurant because most of the food is just reheated.

There is a lot of skill involved in preparing food and requires years of training and practice along with creativity in coming up with something new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 05:31 PM

155 posts, read 125,109 times
Now this is a topic that I wanted to add my $0.02.... I absolutely love the food in LA (I live in ATL) and think it is the best place by far. However, I love all of the fast casual types of restaurants that LA has to offer; Urban Plates, Sweet Green, Tender Greens, etc. I also love Tex Mex, so for me, there is nowhere else like LA in the country. Downtown LA has great restaurants as well - just pull out TripAdvisor or Yelp and you will find many incredible restaurants. However, I'm hoping that I can find great restaurants (great doesn't necessarily mean expensive) in Miami since it is much closer for me.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:33 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,948,734 times
Miami food scene has really been up and coming the past 5 years or so. 10 years ago it was nothings special IMO, sure there were the expensive places, but nothing original, nothing small and authentic in the moderate price level. That has changed drastically. It is a very good food town. The best? Of course not. World Class? Not yet. But its really good with lots of options if you know where to look.

That being said, I travel to LA 1-2 times a year the past 8 years, I love LA food scene, it is better than Miami because it has so much more variety and of course it blows Miami out of the water with its Asian options.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:05 AM

249 posts, read 416,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Why do ppl compare Miami and LA so much?
The fact that each city has a mild climate and palm trees means nothing.

LA has a much larger and diverse food scene for the simple fact LA is like 5 times the size of Miami.
LA has much more Mexican food options. It has much more Asian food options and Asian/Mexican/American fusion options. It has more vegetarian and vegan options as well/

Miami is small compared to LA. Miami has a great food scene tho. But it's not comparable to LA. Simple as that.
Yep. Miami is often compared to big cities but were a small city. We cant be compared to LA and NYC.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:06 AM

249 posts, read 416,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Miami food scene has really been up and coming the past 5 years or so. 10 years ago it was nothings special IMO, sure there were the expensive places, but nothing original, nothing small and authentic in the moderate price level. That has changed drastically. It is a very good food town. The best? Of course not. World Class? Not yet. But its really good with lots of options if you know where to look.

That being said, I travel to LA 1-2 times a year the past 8 years, I love LA food scene, it is better than Miami because it has so much more variety and of course it blows Miami out of the water with its Asian options.
you make a strong case for Asian immigration to Miami

Old 07-21-2015, 09:24 AM

8,070 posts, read 6,915,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Sounds like McDonalds is your everyday fare, and Red Lobster is gourmet for you.

I never eat in a low end chain restaurant because most of the food is just reheated.

There is a lot of skill involved in preparing food and requires years of training and practice along with creativity in coming up with something new
It sounds like you don't know how to boil water if you think that restaurant food is that special. Restaurant food is convenient, a time saver, that's it. Yes some save costs and use cheaper ingredients and crappy cooking methods but there is nothing really extraordinary about a restaurant that uses fresh ingredients and traditional cooking method when we all can do the same thing at home. It's convenient, that's it.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:11 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,570,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
It sounds like you don't know how to boil water if you think that restaurant food is that special. Restaurant food is convenient, a time saver, that's it. Yes some save costs and use cheaper ingredients and crappy cooking methods but there is nothing really extraordinary about a restaurant that uses fresh ingredients and traditional cooking method when we all can do the same thing at home. It's convenient, that's it.
I passed organic chem. so I think I can boil water.

We'll just disagree here. Your fine dining choice is Micky D's drive thru, mine is a sit down meal at a Bistro with a fantastic chef.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:12 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,135,455 times
Much worse, I love Miami, and there are plenty of good food options here, but let's face it Los Angeles is just better in almost every category.

I miss a lot of the foodie options I had in Los Angeles, especially the Asian and Mexican options.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:28 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,913,710 times
Miami has recently been rated the fourth most expensive restaurant scene in the US. We definitely don't have the fourth best food among major US cities--not even close. In general, you do NOT get what you pay for in Miami, it's more like you get the *location* that you pay for. Authentic Asian food is in particular hard to find, mostly you'll see "fusion" places and buffet places. Nevertheless, the dining scene has been getting noticeably better in the past decade. Especially in Coconut Grove and Coral Gables, there are some good options out there.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:35 PM

169 posts, read 308,441 times
That depends if you talking about food based on taste or on diverse nations/culture.
Than LA because of how much bigger it is. Even though we got many different peoples so close to each other throughout the county.

But on taste? We blow them out the water. On taste? It's us going at New Orleans neck. I got a homeboy from New Orleans we used to always go at it bout cooking. We had a big homie from uptown New Orleans just like him. He mediated between us, because my homeboy kept claiming it's the creole cooking that makes them better than us. The big homie told him he used to **** around in Miami with this chick and that the original creole is in Miami. He said our foods is neck in neck but Miami will always be slept on because of its going extinct black population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami