Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2015, 11:39 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I'm retired now, but when I was working I would drive to work way before dawn. I drove through part of the Redland and would use my high beams. Not many street lights in that area.
Really? Was that awhile ago? Been through the Redlands many times at night and don't think I've ever noticed it dark enough for high beams. Compared to forested, winding mountain roads that truly are in the middle of nowhere (don't think there's any such place in Dade County), the roads here never seem too dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 01:23 PM

400 posts, read 515,805 times
I say a good portion of the congestion in traffic is due to people so entranced on their cellular phones, be it at a stop light or a brief halt on the Expressway, they must lay down their phone and finger it, check for something very important, meteor strike, and they simply block everyone behind them as they don;t see that the light has gone green or the car ahead has moved. Honking does not matter, everyone honks for the joy of honking so no one pays attention to a honk.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:55 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Really? Was that awhile ago? Been through the Redlands many times at night and don't think I've ever noticed it dark enough for high beams. Compared to forested, winding mountain roads that truly are in the middle of nowhere (don't think there's any such place in Dade County), the roads here never seem too dark.
I've had rabbits run in front of my car. I've had dogs run across the street in front of my car. There was a barn owl feeding on something in the middle of my driving lane. Yes, I need my brights on to see these things so I can stop in time. Perhaps my 'older' eyes don't see as well in the dark as yours do. Please, no need to argue with me. If I feel a need for high beams in an undeveloped, unlit area, I will use them. I last drove the area pre-dawn in late 2014.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:30 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
It seems a lot of drivers are simply oblivious and have no idea why they are in the car and on the road and where they actually are going.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:57 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I've had rabbits run in front of my car. I've had dogs run across the street in front of my car. There was a barn owl feeding on something in the middle of my driving lane. Yes, I need my brights on to see these things so I can stop in time. Perhaps my 'older' eyes don't see as well in the dark as yours do. Please, no need to argue with me. If I feel a need for high beams in an undeveloped, unlit area, I will use them. I last drove the area pre-dawn in late 2014.
I wasn't arguing with you. I was just wondering when this was because I've never found it to be that dark in the Redlands. And yes, I agree that older eyes tend to not see as well at night, although my eyes are 53 yo! Headlights also can differ.

It's a rare thing these days to not see someone playing with a phone while in the car. I don't understand the constant need for it. It's like life support.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:16 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,396 times
Angry Car lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Recently, it seems, there have been more people driving with high beams on.
The lights on some of the new vehicles are ridiculous - bright white lights, rows of LED lights and now bright little spotlights in the front bumpers. I am constantly blinded at night lately. I live in an area with no sidewalks so pedestrians, joggers and bicycles are in the road. I see them, then some oncoming vehicle with blinding lights comes along and I can no longer see anything. Don't know if all the lights have to be on, or some are turned on by the driver, but I believe they are hazardous to other drivers.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:24 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,865,706 times
Miami is just a free for all. It gets worse daily. Today is the day no one believes in lanes. Almost got hit by oncoming traffic twice. It's like Mr. Magoo everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8GTHXTEvIc

Old 11-22-2015, 01:20 PM

400 posts, read 515,805 times
Small anecdote. Trying the simple maneuver to go thru Residents gate at my condominium, some dude, who seemed to have superglued his cell phone to his ear and in a frantic discussion, hmmm, parks at the Resident entrance....abruptly backs up causing sudden breaking of traffic on the street side; manual transmission, one hand still on the phone, moves forward, now blocking Resident and Visitor entrances, still enjoying his cel conversation. Starts honking like crazy so the entrance guard comes to him, instead of properly moving to the visitors window.

OK. Time to propose, approve and pass a traffic law of no cell phones on your hands as you are moving in traffic (California did, and I suppose other States have it).

Old 11-23-2015, 06:52 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,534 times
I have been on vacation in Miami for a few days over the last 2 weeks and I haven't had any problems with the drivers, in fact to me the drivers in this city drive rather slow. Try driving in New Jersey /NYC area where I live then talk about reckless driving. At least 98 percent of the time I have been driving down here I was moving the fastest on the road. These roads are perfect for fast driving.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:48 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuito View Post
I say a good portion of the congestion in traffic is due to people so entranced on their cellular phones, be it at a stop light or a brief halt on the Expressway, they must lay down their phone and finger it, check for something very important, meteor strike, and they simply block everyone behind them as they don;t see that the light has gone green or the car ahead has moved. Honking does not matter, everyone honks for the joy of honking so no one pays attention to a honk.
I doubt this is a significant factor compared to the fact that there are just too many cars on the road. It's more of a scapegoat. Now is it rude and inconsiderate? Yes, definitely! But Illegal if they are moving while texting. Better if they're stopped where at least they won't cause an accident, which would indeed cause congestion!

Having to wait for 2 seconds does not constitute congestion. Unless you're driving in Montana. Sometimes in populated areas you just have to slow down and wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami