U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2008, 11:25 AM

100 posts, read 447,436 times

Advertisements

I'm curious, for those who were teens/young adults already in the 70s and early 80s, what was the street gang/juvenile delinquent scene like back then (pre- Latin Kings, etc.)? Strange question I'm sure, but it comes to my mind when reading many of the criticisms of Miami today as far as street crime goes, etc.

As an adjunct to the main inquiry, I'm curious as to what the "soundtrack" was for those young folks who ran afoul of the law back specifically during those years I mentioned. I read a lot of criticisms now that the young criminal element usually boast hip-hop and reggaeton songs as their anthems, and a fair number of hip-hop songs in particular do in fact focus on a criminal lifestyle. What about back then? Were street toughs engaging in questionable activites while jamming out to the Bee Gees, Evelyn "Champagne" King, or the Human League?

I'm serious about the overall question I'm raising and extend my thanks in advance for any insight anyone here can lend.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 04:05 PM

350 posts, read 1,391,886 times
I've never been a street thug, but I'm thinking they may have been listening to "house" music??? I think it's called "freestyle" now??? Or something like that. I'm just trying to remember what I would hear coming out of those cars back then. It had a really heavy bass sound. I think this was one of the precursors to hip hop and reggaeton. I'm sure someone out there will have a better response. I was listening to wshe and zeta4 back then, and some y100.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:03 PM

15 posts, read 112,510 times
I don't know about the 70's, but the early 80's they were listening to a lot of early hip hop and electro funk. Music such as Afrika Bambaataa Planet Rock and other hip hop and electro funk of that era which led to the eventual making of Miami Bass music. I was really young at the time, but I remember this stuff from my brother who is older than me.

Speaking of gangs, does anyone remember a gang called Dixie Playboys? I remember when I was little I use to hear about them. That was in the early 80's that I remember them from.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 9,657 times
Default Pandillas

pre LK.THEY WERE ALWAYS THERS BUT WERNT THE DOMINENT. WE GREW FROM BACK YARD AND STREET AND THIS IS THE MATRIX TO IT.

AREA; ORANGE BOWL AREA LETS SAY NW.5 TO ADA MERRETT JR HIGH,CITRUS GROVE JR HIGH(JR HIGH NOT MIDDLE SCHOOL LIKE ITS KNOWN MOW),MIAMI HIGH, TO CORAL WAY 57 AVE.IN OTHER WORDS ANY THING SOUTH FROM RED RD,AND EAST FROM BIRD RD AND WEST FROM 27 ST NW.TO DOWN TOWN. THIS AREA BELONG TO THE VULCAN.MUST HAVE BEEN AT IT MAX,3500 TO 5000.STRONG.THIS WAS SUB DIVIDED TO A SMALLER GRUOP THAT DID CHOES AND THESE GRUOP WAS CALL THE DIRTY DOZEN.WHISH IM PROUD TO SAY I WAS A MEMBER OF THE 12.ANY THING FROM TH SOUTH DADE AREA LIKE WESTCHESTER TO THE AMERICAN HALL IN8ST AND 100 AVE WHISH DOES NOT EXSISIT ANY MORE BELONG TO THE AZRET.SOUTH DADE PERRINE SOUTH MIAMI HIGHTS BELOMG TO THE LINKS.YOU ALSO HAD "THE YOUTH"COVERD HIALEAH FOR THE VULCONS.YOU ALSO HAD A SUB STATION DOWN ON NW,5AVE AND 5 ST.CALLE LA CINGO.MISIX WAS KEPT IN THE 70S THAT WAS PHYCODELIC HARD ROCK,AND SOME DISCO.I CAN GO ON BUT I WOULD THEN HAVE TO WRITE A BOOK.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:43 AM

261 posts, read 638,282 times
Wow a different era...The most serious Latino organized crime this city has ever seen was the Cartels of the Cocaine Cowboy days...there hasn't ever really been a Latino gang scene here similar to the ones in Texas and California, i.e. Gang-owned neighborhoods where the cops won't go alone...

That's saved for Opa-Locka, Little Haiti, Overtown, etc. where the Latino gangs don't have much of a presence

Old 11-02-2009, 11:02 AM

4,625 posts, read 9,274,302 times
Hey I lived in MIA during the eighties. I was a little white sheep walking through Overtwon or Lib Cit with no issues. My best friend grew up in Lib C, and his opin about gangs was this. There are no gangs in Miami. A lot of wannabees, but really no organization. The reason he stated was because OT & LC was full of "good religious people who will F you up." So go figure.

He also went to school with Luke Skywalker and he told me Luke wasn't just selling records out of his trunk.

"Ooh, me sooo hoaney ..."

Old 11-02-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs08 View Post
Wow a different era...The most serious Latino organized crime this city has ever seen was the Cartels of the Cocaine Cowboy days...there hasn't ever really been a Latino gang scene here similar to the ones in Texas and California, i.e. Gang-owned neighborhoods where the cops won't go alone...
Where are these gang owned neighborhoods in TX? There's a thread on the Dallas board about gangs and no one seems to know about any such activity here. If it ain't here, I wonder where it is.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:08 PM

261 posts, read 638,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Where are these gang owned neighborhoods in TX? There's a thread on the Dallas board about gangs and no one seems to know about any such activity here. If it ain't here, I wonder where it is.
I suppose my post could be misconstrued from how I phrased it. In LA, Oakland, etc. you have more of the gang-controlled hoods.

In Texas, there are worse Latino gang problems than in Miami, but not necessarily an environment as bad as California. From what I understand, gang activity flourishes mostly in places like El Paso and Laredo, the cities right on the border.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs08 View Post
From what I understand, gang activity flourishes mostly in places like El Paso and Laredo, the cities right on the border.
That may be. I don't know much about EP but I do know there is some spillover from problems in Juarez. I've never seen or known of organized groups here or in MIA - y=no colors, etc. But I can't rule out the possibility.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:05 PM

208 posts, read 468,895 times
I have lived in Miami since 1969. I don't remember any serious gang activity back in the 70's or 80's. Sure, there were fist fights in school between blacks, whites and Cubans. That was about it. I grew up and attended school at Carol City Elementary, Junior and Senior High. I graduated from Miami High in 1980 and don't ever recall the violence we have now in our streets. Back then MTV played music videos, now they have reality shows full of filthy-mouthed contestants and hardly play any videos. Just goes to show how our culture has evolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or