Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 06:48 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,468,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslhomie View Post
Did you grow up in a tent in the middle of Iraq? That would be the only way I would think Miami is a great place to live.
HAHAHA TRUTH! Miami seems so miserable to me, it's also truly a city of the haves and have not. It's so humid, bugs everywhere, expensive as hell in the nice parts, the majority is ghetto and dangerous, rude people, superficial and or lazy people, horrendous traffic, the list goes on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 08:09 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,381,579 times
Quote:
Did you grow up in a tent in the middle of Iraq? That would be the only way I would think Miami is a great place to live.
Yeah, and you forgot to mention how we can only participate on this thread by pedaling to keep the internet going.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:27 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,614,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
HAHAHA TRUTH! Miami seems so miserable to me, it's also truly a city of the haves and have not. It's so humid, bugs everywhere, expensive as hell in the nice parts, the majority is ghetto and dangerous, rude people, superficial and or lazy people, horrendous traffic, the list goes on and on.
So says somebody from Los Angeles which is probably less affordable than Miami and is known for it's horrible traffic and sprawl.
As for superficial and or lazy people LA takes the cake with Hollywood and the Kardashians. Los Angeles is Miami except it's 10 times more in every category you listed.

Have a nice day.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:13 PM

4 posts, read 5,033 times
Thanks to everyone for the responses! I am glad that I was able to be informed from a diverse group of mindsets. It helps me examine the situation much better. I still think that Miami is a wonderful place but I am still deciding which city is the best fit for me based on my educational goals and earning potential. I am looking at DFW and Houston as possible options (leaning more towards DFW) but I still have plenty of time to make my decision. I know there are some downsides to living in Miami (Humidity, traffic, Etc.). However, I must comment that although it did take me 30 minutes to commute from Sunny Isles to downtown Miami I thought the traffic was going to be MUCH worse. 30 minutes is not that bad of a drive. It really falls down to being pro-active and leaving a bit early to deal with the unexpected traffic delays. I must say that Miami was VERY hot and humid (worse than Cancun Btw) but that is not a problem because I plan on having a good AC. I guess you can find solutions to most of the cons that were listed here it just depends at how you look at the situation

Thanks for the replies!

Old 08-21-2015, 06:34 AM

653 posts, read 815,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
So says somebody from Los Angeles which is probably less affordable than Miami and is known for it's horrible traffic and sprawl.
As for superficial and or lazy people LA takes the cake with Hollywood and the Kardashians. Los Angeles is Miami except it's 10 times more in every category you listed.

Have a nice day.
Mia I is the same as Los Angeles, minus Hollywood

Old 08-21-2015, 08:27 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,863,878 times
Because of ignorant people. The place is overloaded with them.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:37 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,468,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post

Have a nice day.
LOL I'm only in LA for school, I don't like LA either so I'm not sure who you are trying to offend.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:44 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,419,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick5575 View Post
It's not. It's a nice place to visit but not to live. Stay away. You'll regret coming here
To the OP:

Very good advice, but you seem to have an itch to move here after visiting.

Good thing you asked some. You'll get all sorts of advice. You're getting different perspectives, which is fine. Now, we all know Texas has been stable over the past 10 years, while the rest of the country was in shambles. Miami is a tough place to digest. It's a love it or hate it affair.

My wife and I lived in South Florida for a few years. We came with an open mind, gave it a try. My wife and I absolutely hated the place after a few years. We decided to pack up while the economy was still rough (Big risk). Now mind you, that's two salaries, so the transition was smoother.

You're 25, single (I'll assume, since you're relatively young), and fell in love after a nice vacation. Somewhat like us. We fared well enough financially, did not live in a ghettos, bought a nice 4/3 in SW Broward County, put our kids in good schools (in SW Broward, not Miami.. ), lived within our means, and gave it a shot.

Did we end up liking it? Heck no! We hated the place after reality started sinking in . Mind you, we're from the northeast. When we first moved there, it was the palm trees, the nice winter (when we first visited it was in January ...That's why it appealed to us coming from the north during a harsh winter), and all the foolishness that Miami had/has that reels others in.

Funny thing, my wife and I still don't like it after leaving, but we hate it less . There are other places in Florida that are beautiful, so we skip Miami. It's just not all that.

I'm not saying the place is the worse..butl it's far from the best. It may be good for you, it may not. That's something you'll have to think about. You're in euphoric mode right now. Vacation was nice, the beach was awesome, South beach appeal, the "uniqueness" etc. All that fades once you get settled. Let this place be a vacation spot for you. You seem to be intelligent. Take your time, and think long and hard. Yes, life is short. That's a better reason for Miami to be a place for you to visit, and not live.
COL will eat you alive. Texas COL is cheaper. Look into DFW, Houston or Austin. Plenty of industries there.

Quote:
Because of ignorant people. The place is overloaded with them.
I wish I could disagree. I just can't. He's right. Not to sound cliche....That place is full of fools.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:07 AM

299 posts, read 377,373 times
Don't do it... It is expensive.... traffic is horrible... and the people are rude.. Check out Tampa, Orlando, Jax....

Old 08-24-2015, 07:47 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,614,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboytampabay View Post
Don't do it... It is expensive.... traffic is horrible... and the people are rude.. Check out Tampa, Orlando, Jax....
Tampa has bad traffic too and it doesn't even have a beach. At least you aren't south Georgia (cough) Jacksonville!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami