Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 03:57 PM

32 posts, read 59,683 times

Advertisements

I recently went for a consultation to get 4 wisdom teeth removed with sedation…i was quoted $3200. I don't have any dental insurance so it's all out of pocket expense. I know people in other parts of the US paying $1500 or less for the same procedure.

Outrageous pricing in my opinion, has anybody else been quoted these prices?

Last edited by Fla305; 09-02-2015 at 05:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 04:30 PM

3,141 posts, read 3,092,081 times
I had one wisdom tooth removed about a year ago, in Broward County. As I recall, it was about $650. I have insurance, and I think it paid about $200, so I was stuck with the difference. My dentist recommended having only the one removed due to decay. It had also grown in at an odd angle and she felt she couldn't work on it to get a filling put in properly.

I don't know if this helps or not, or if prices have gone up in a year, or if Dade is more expensive than Broward. I still have my other 3 wisdom teeth. I am sure as the years go by I will have to get them removed eventually.

And no drugs! Just extra strength ibuprofen. But I digress. . . .

Old 09-02-2015, 04:58 PM

sounds like you didn't get sedated which adds to the cost, typically they don't do that for just 1 tooth.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:36 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,874,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla305 View Post
I recently went for a consultation to get 4 wisdom teeth removed with sedation…i was quoted $3200. I don't have any dental insurance so it's all out of pocket expense. I know people in other parts of the US paying $1500 or less for the same procedure.

If you are a US citizen, you can get dental insurance through the govt. marketplace. They don't need to know anything about your dental health history. Even though this is outside of the signup window, they might allow it if you can claim a change in your situation (even a slight change in income, divorce, health crisis...call them and find out if you can - this stuff might not even apply because it's only dental, not normal health insurance). Monroe County has by far the most expensive marketplace insurance in FL, and one of their best dental programs only costs me $26/mo! It's definitely worth it. You don't necessarily need to have the regular insurance with them to sign up for dental, and possibly dental can sign up any time of year - I know you can drop it any time of year, which is not the case with the main health insurance.

Did you look into dental insurance in general? If the marketplace won't allow it, you might be able to get signed up for insurance with a mainstream company within just a week or two, get your surgery, and then drop it if you want to keep it anymore after. It would probably cost you a fraction of what it would without insurance.

Considering how cheap it is, and how costly emergency dental work is, I would recommend that this coming January you sign up for dental with the govt. marketplace, and just spend the $15/mo or so it takes to have peace of mind.

Last edited by StarfishKey; 09-02-2015 at 05:45 PM..

Old 09-02-2015, 05:43 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,874,531 times
I did a quick check on a dental plan in a Miami zip code, according to Delta Dental, you could get a plan that starts Oct 1 for only $15 enrollment fee, annual cost $120:
https://www.deltadentalins.com/indEn...suerCode=DELTA

You could also compare quotes here: https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/den...ental-coverage

Decide what dentist is good (definitely check Yelp reviews and other sources), and ask them what insurance they take. Then see if you can get signed up with that company, and if they ask, avoid telling them it's for anything other than "preventative" care. Don't know if it's legal to shut you out or spike your rates if you have an actual medical need anymore, given the legal changes that the govt marketplace brought, but if they do ask and you can avoid telling them your situation, do.

Obviously, check the coverage before you sign up for a plan, make sure it has good coverage of the specific procedure you're trying to get done.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:08 PM

253 posts, read 431,588 times
Keep in mind that dental insurance is generally capped at $1000 per year. It basically hasn't changed in decades. That $1000 used to cover multiple major procedures of every type. Now it might not fully cover one. I have a next door neighbor who needed gum surgery on all four quadrants. He had one and now is waiting until 2016 for the second one, solely because his insurance won't cover the cost until it hits the next calendar year.

This is why dental discount plans have surged in popularity. Dentists themselves now often recommend those plans, instead of insurance, to patients who are facing massively expensive procedures in a short period of time. The insurance won't cover much of anything, and then you are stuck with full price for the remainder. The discount plans, on the other hand, establish a rate generally 10% to 40% lower than full price. Sometimes less than 50% for the most common procedures. You can find out the procedure(s) you need, get the code for that procedure, find out which plans your dentist accepts, and then call the discount plan company and sample the prices for the procedures you require, to identity the best plan based on your specific needs. Those plans are generally $100 to $150 per year.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:50 PM

7,370 posts, read 6,417,842 times
Do you need all 4 removed?...in other words, do you have impacted wisdom teeth on both sides of your mouth?....I only had 1 impacted wisdom tooth in the upper left hand corner of my mouth but my dentist suggested that the oral surgeon remove the lower left hand corner wisdom tooth at the same time as well. I still have the two wisdom teeth on the right hand side of my mouth, neither of which are a threat to the immediate teeth next to them nor are they in decay--at least not yet.....do you have existing crowns in your mouth that have been there for a prolonged period of time, increasing the possibility of your needing an implant in the near future, and could you wait to have your wisdom teeth pulled at the same time you go through that procedure so as to coordinate anesthesia expenses?...how quickly do you need your wisdom teeth removed--i.e are you currently in pain??....a lot of variables, besides cost, you need to cover with your dentist and then oral surgeon before making a final decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla305 View Post

Old 09-02-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
If you are a US citizen, you can get dental insurance through the govt. marketplace. They don't need to know anything about your dental health history. Even though this is outside of the signup window, they might allow it if you can claim a change in your situation (even a slight change in income, divorce, health crisis...call them and find out if you can - this stuff might not even apply because it's only dental, not normal health insurance). Monroe County has by far the most expensive marketplace insurance in FL, and one of their best dental programs only costs me $26/mo! It's definitely worth it. You don't necessarily need to have the regular insurance with them to sign up for dental, and possibly dental can sign up any time of year - I know you can drop it any time of year, which is not the case with the main health insurance.

Did you look into dental insurance in general? If the marketplace won't allow it, you might be able to get signed up for insurance with a mainstream company within just a week or two, get your surgery, and then drop it if you want to keep it anymore after. It would probably cost you a fraction of what it would without insurance.

Considering how cheap it is, and how costly emergency dental work is, I would recommend that this coming January you sign up for dental with the govt. marketplace, and just spend the $15/mo or so it takes to have peace of mind.
i haven't looked into the gov't market place because of my income i didn't qualify for health insurance plans through them even though i never looked into their dental plans. Def worth taking a look and i appreciate the suggestion.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:08 PM

only 1 is impacted, not terribly painful. I need to def have two removed and they all suggest to take them all out at the same time to a) save $ on the sedation cost b) go through the pain/hassle only once c) likelihood in my case that they might become problematic down the line is apparently high if you can believe the surgeon.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:37 PM

7,370 posts, read 6,417,842 times
I had only 2 taken out from 1 side 5 years ago, leaving the other two in without any issues thus far. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami