Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 08:32 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Oh yes, they came in from the west, but they also circled all over the coast. My flight didn't do that. Idk if my flight was an anomaly, but it didn't go anywhere near the ocean. It also sounds like a waste of fuel to go all the way around unless there is a reason, like weather.
In case you didn't know , Miami is a very busy airport, so it probably had to wait for its turn for landing I use to live in Atlanta near the airport and sometimes planes would have to wait to land as the Air-traffic controller has the say so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Umm, that doesn't make a place beautiful lol lots of places have clean air and palm trees. There can be natural beauty but it can be ruined with ugly architecture. Nothing about Hialeah is beautiful, (besides Amelia Earthart park) and its got the same air and palm trees.
So you are going to down these neighborhoods, what did you use to live in Coral Gables, what a snob, it's better than being homeless

Old 09-14-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Umm, that doesn't make a place beautiful lol lots of places have clean air and palm trees. There can be natural beauty but it can be ruined with ugly architecture. Nothing about Hialeah is beautiful, (besides Amelia Earthart park) and its got the same air and palm trees.
In case you didn't know Hialeah has made many improvements with new sidewalks, new roads and new trees. Miami -Dade has a plant a million trees to raise the canopy coverage.

I think the architecture is fine, what is bad is people whether it be the homeowners or visitors will park their cars on the lawn or grass in front of the sidewalk and have the appearance of metal cluttering up a front yard with splotchy grass. They should pass an ordinance to stop this if one violates it , heavy fine laid on them.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:11 PM

I use to live in Louisville, Kentucky where they had probably the most beautiful neighborhoods imaginable as lawns were beautiful with Bluegrass as the soil was very rich. If you went downtown however and got a look at the Ohio River, it was a yucky looking brown and air quality was poor as it set down in the Ohio Valley plus quite a bit of smoke blowing industry. So yea I think in a way the city is tainted by the looks of the river but it wouldn't keep me from moving back there along with its poor air quality, so I think this is sour grapes on your part whereby you didn't do well or whatever(could care less). People don't come to Miami (top tourist destination) because its ugly but because it is mainly beautiful, not all areas obviously though.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:30 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
In case you didn't know Hialeah has made many improvements with new sidewalks, new roads and new trees. Miami -Dade has a plant a million trees to raise the canopy coverage.

I think the architecture is fine, what is bad is people whether it be the homeowners or visitors will park their cars on the lawn or grass in front of the sidewalk and have the appearance of metal cluttering up a front yard with splotchy grass. They should pass an ordinance to stop this if one violates it , heavy fine laid on them.
Sorry, not sorry, but nothing about Hialeah is beautiful.
It's straight up bland, over-developed, and ugly. It looks cheap. It feels congested, it's gross.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:22 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
Check out curbed Miami they showcase lots of different styles of homes I didn't even know existed...and to be honest the Spanish style is not as common as you think. Its mostly in the western suburbs with a few homes in that style sprinkled in the urban core.

Here is one...Moorish Revival New Build is Surprisingly Better Than Expected - On the market - Curbed Miami

Old 09-15-2015, 06:47 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
its very homogeneous.

stucco over and over again, places further north do not use stucco, mainly due to climate.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:53 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I know the OP is talking about the overall look and feel.

But there is some nice variety in these areas:

The Historic Buena Vista District has a variety of home styles including: Mediterranean Revival, Mission, Craftsman, and Art Deco style residences.

Historic Buena Vista | MiamiUrbanist.com

Coconut Grove has some nice variety as well.
The Tropical Cottage: At Home in Coconut Grove: Beth Dunlop, Claudia Uribe: 9780847839643: Amazon.com: Books

South Miami/Biltmore Heights has some nice mid-century modern single-family homes.

That historic Buena Vista area is beautiful! I love the craftsman home that was featured.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:13 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
So you are going to down these neighborhoods, what did you use to live in Coral Gables, what a snob, it's better than being homeless
I lived in many places. I lived in Opalocka, Hialeah, a neighbourhood near Coral Gables, and Coral Gables. How am I a snob? Of course its better than being homeless. What, if I criticise an architectural style all of a sudden I am of the belief that no one should live there and they should be under a bridge? Sounds like you can't take criticism well. I dunno how good your English is, but your sentence strocture needs work. It's not terrible, but its a little hard to make out exactly what you are saying. Are you calling me a snob because I lived in Coral Gables? Not my fault my parents moved there when I was six (And not my fault Coral Gables is actually prettier than most neighbourhoods, cough cough.)

Old 09-15-2015, 07:18 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:

I spent a lot of time in Hialeah this past July. Didn't see any improvements. Its so industrial and looks like a lot of ghetto areas near New Orleans. I agree 100% on the parking on lawns thing. So many people park on the grass instead of the driveway or the side of the street. That is all over Dade-County. It is definitely unattractive. Parking on the lawn is considered blasphemy in suburban Texas, and you usually think the person that does it is trailer trash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami