Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 07:20 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
its very homogeneous.

stucco over and over again, places further north do not use stucco, mainly due to climate.
Does stucco not keep the cold out? I dunno about up north, haven't been to the north yet, but in Texas most houses only have stucco inside. (Plus other materials like brick or wood.) I don't mind it on the walls or ceilings but inside, not outside. Is stucco used for interiors in the north?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 07:22 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
That historic Buena Vista area is beautiful! I love the craftsman home that was featured.
That yellow two storey house is what stucco can look like when done right!

Old 09-15-2015, 07:51 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,237 times
Stucco is used down south or out west primarily because it does very good in heat versus Vinyl which is like the Northern version of stucco. I've seen tons of communities with that ugly sliding like this...

Old 09-15-2015, 08:48 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,915,723 times
stucco does not do well in cold weather. too much expansion and contraction. FL uses it due to the temps. stucco cracks are very common, if you dont seal them, it can allow moisture in. look at homes that are 3-5 yrs old and not sealed after cracks, it will discolor it and it looks bad.

it may or may not fare as well as vinyl siding. a lot of places in the Carolina's use hardi board instead. with stone accents. love that look.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:20 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
stucco does not do well in cold weather. too much expansion and contraction. FL uses it due to the temps. stucco cracks are very common, if you dont seal them, it can allow moisture in. look at homes that are 3-5 yrs old and not sealed after cracks, it will discolor it and it looks bad.

it may or may not fare as well as vinyl siding. a lot of places in the Carolina's use hardi board instead. with stone accents. love that look.
That's what they put on the houses in my neighbohood the hardi board. I love it too. Houses don't have to only be stucco.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:14 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,939,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Sorry, not sorry, but nothing about Hialeah is beautiful.
It's straight up bland, over-developed, and ugly. It looks cheap. It feels congested, it's gross.
Where did I say it was beautiful, I said it had made many improvements, I will say Amelia Earhardt and Hialeah Park are beautiful. Their downtown is fairly nice looking but small in comparison to its population. I would expect a Dadeland-Kendall size downtown. This is one city definitely in need of trees as that is happening presently as I stated before to Badger about the Miami-Dade plant a million trees is to increase the canopy. You can have all the pretty and luxurious homes you want but not having trees is bland. Yes, Hialeah has put in new streets, sidewalks and trees planted as you can go on to Google Map for evidence. I won't say every street though.

This is a hard-working blue-collar neighborhood, nothing fancy, definitely will never attain Coral Gable standards but to me it is just average lower middle- class independent municipality.

This is part of the gorgeous Miami I was alluding to in a prior post

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.8321...36!8i526?hl=en

Eat your heart out Denton Texas Yee Haw y'all

Last edited by perry335654; 09-16-2015 at 10:36 AM..

Old 09-16-2015, 11:08 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,744,304 times
Miami homes were practical and basic as was all of south Florida when actual workers lived in the homes.

http://themacklecompany.com/femjrsto...eningad780.jpg

Old 09-16-2015, 11:20 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,744,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
Stucco is used down south or out west primarily because it does very good in heat versus Vinyl which is like the Northern version of stucco. I've seen tons of communities with that ugly sliding like this...
That is even uglier than a Miami home!!!

Old 09-16-2015, 11:24 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,709 times
You can't compare Denton to waterfront Miami. Apples to apples.... Denton to Kendall is more equal.

One thing that makes Miami so bland and ugly is this city does not value parks and green spaces. You mention Amelia Earhardt and Hialeah Park, but it's a teeny tiny drop in the bucket. Thank God Miami is on the Atlantic Ocean and developers can't do a damn thing about building on it otherwise Miami would have almost zero nature. Check out Miami's park score:

ParkScore

If it weren't for beach parks we'd be even lower. We should be towards the top considering we already have so much waterfront giving us advantages over many landlocked cities or cities with less waterfront that scored higher. I also wonder how much lower we'd fall if they included more of "Miami" instead of just the city. It's glaringly obvious that the majority of Dade County doesn't value green spaces and nature.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:26 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,939,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Miami homes were practical and basic as was all of south Florida when actual workers lived in the homes.

http://themacklecompany.com/femjrsto...eningad780.jpg
Good find, nothing fancy but affordable. Wow, $6000 for a house or 38 dollars monthly payments, that is nostalgic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami