Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 01:27 PM

419 posts, read 2,019,009 times

Advertisements

Every time I fly to Miami I am shocked how bad the Airport is. Is is not so bad to fly into but trying to leave Miami with baggage is terrible. I have to fly American Airlines and are always greeted by incredible lines to check in for my flight. I tried to use the men outside and pay the $2.00 per bag but that was even worse. They no longer care to move fast and understand that few people will tip anymore now that people are forced to pay the $2 fee per bag. Nearly everyone tried to cut in line and if 10 travelers are in front of you, it will take an hour. Security is just terrible with most machines closed and hundreds of people waiting for one machine.

Do you find the experience at Miami Airport to be as bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 02:23 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
Every time I fly to Miami I am shocked how bad the Airport is. Is is not so bad to fly into but trying to leave Miami with baggage is terrible. I have to fly American Airlines and are always greeted by incredible lines to check in for my flight. I tried to use the men outside and pay the $2.00 per bag but that was even worse. They no longer care to move fast and understand that few people will tip anymore now that people are forced to pay the $2 fee per bag. Nearly everyone tried to cut in line and if 10 travelers are in front of you, it will take an hour. Security is just terrible with most machines closed and hundreds of people waiting for one machine.

Do you find the experience at Miami Airport to be as bad?
That's good to know. I usually fly into Ft Lauderdale with no problems, but was planning on using Miami Int. this May. I guess I'll stick to what I know.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:39 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,160 times
The last time I flew I had really bad lines. It took over an hour to get checked in. It wasn't just at MIA though. LAX was just as bad. It used to be the bad service only started when you got on the plane but now it starts at the check-in.
Once I save up $35k I'll have my own airplane and then I won't have to deal with the commercial airlines anymore except when flying international.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:39 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,134,209 times
MIA is one of the worst airports in the country. It always ranks at the bottom. The service is bad, it is expensive, poor selection, bad layout, overcrowded....and way over budget for the makeover they have been trying to give it for a decade now.

Yes people know it is bad and that is why FLL has grown leaps and bounds.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:45 PM

79 posts, read 409,227 times
I'm not sure if I would call it the worst in the nation, but I definitely don't like it. I usually fly Delta or Northwest in and out of Miami and that concourse is outdated. It looks really 1980's. I would assume the American Airlines concourses are better. The baggage claim area looks hideous. And of course customer service is slow and rude, but that's Miami in general.

Kansas City, MO has a really bad airport too.

I think the best big airports in the U.S. are Atlanta, Denver, Pittsburgh, and Detroit.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:10 PM

711 posts, read 1,856,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm1984 View Post
I think the best big airports in the U.S. are Atlanta, Denver, Pittsburgh, and Detroit.
Tampa has a pretty good airport. Getting in and out of McCarran (Las Vegas) was always quick for me.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:33 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
I gave up flying after a bad experience where I passed out after a 5 hour flight in coach. When I did fly I always found Miami to be the worst. Las Vegas does seem to have a more efficient airport. LAX is terrible, but I think that Miami is the worst. I even had to chase someone who wanted to take my bag! After that I used only luggage from the 1960's or earlier.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:38 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
Its been a few years since I flew into Miami. It was NOT a good experience.

I grew up part of my life near Dallas and part near Boston. I flew to Miami from Dallas. People in Dallas are alot more laid back and friendly and I was kind of in that mode when I landed in Miami.

My brother was there to pick me up and we went to the baggage claim area. An older man almost trampled me to get out of the enclosure. The rude Yankee attitude came right out of hiding and I yelled out "Don't let me get in your way, a@@ hole". Its like I channeled my old self when I lived in New England. My brother just chuckled.

The man was a little shocked that I had said anything but he just about ran me over, I couldn't believe it.

I told my brother that in the future please fly me into Fort Lauderdale rather then Miami.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:44 PM

854 posts, read 2,863,081 times
MIA doesn't really greet the visitors with a "Welcome to Miami!"-atmosphere...

I'm disgusted every time I have to drop somebody off, pick somebody up or fly in/out myself. urgs.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:41 AM

224 posts, read 1,001,418 times
I also dislike MIA... It has the worse design ever... If you need to go around and come back in, there is no easy way to do this at all...

It's also extremely unfriendly... Even the cops are rude... The taxi drivers, the porters, everyone is so rude... Every so often when I fly in, I'll see people walking around aimlessly and I'll stop and ask if they need help since I try to make their experience a little better... They must be stunned that I do this but I think it's all our responsibilities as local residents at the end of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami