Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 06:01 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times

Advertisements

It's closed until 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 07:31 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,130 times
Weather-wise, November is a great time to bike. Just be aware that Miami is extremely dangerous for people to drive in their cars. It is a city that is notoriously unfriendly to bikers. So although there are relatively new bike-friendly lanes and amenities, that does not mean that the rest of the city has caught up. Many people on the road are specifically hostile to bikers. People in Miami also have a reputation for hit and runs - of cars, pedestrians, and of bikers included.

It's not to say that biking is a bad thing, and you may be fine. But I would consider it one of the more dangerous cities in the US in which to bike long distances. You should at least be warned of that before you get on the road.

If you want to get involved in bike events, there is a Critical Mass Miami movement, and other ways you can meet up with other bicyclists and travel in a group for at least part of your trip. Try to remember that just because we have bike lanes, does not mean drivers in Miami honor them, and to me riding over one of the busiest bridges in the city where there is no room for error, and a lot of tourists not paying attention and locals speeding up to 90 and 100mph and weaving around (when there is not terrible traffic, anyway)... well, that is to me an especially dangerous segment of your intended ride.

Be aware though that Miami buses are capable of carrying 2 bikes at a time on the front. So although I don't find the buses that reliable in terms of schedule, if you're in no hurry you can strap your bike on to the front when traveling to places that are less bike friendly, and then hop back on your bike when you are in quieter, safer areas.

I intended to ride my bike daily from Kendall to Coral Gables for work when I first moved to Miami, which was about 8 miles. I learned very quickly why this was perceived as a death wish, and sadly could never do it - I had to rely on my car for everything, even going short distances, simply for safety. The city is more bike-friendly now, but I would not say it has improved so greatly that it is safe. Again, even for people in cars it is not considered safe, which is why car insurance in Miami is one of the most expensive in the country. And people in Miami are in large part from Caribbean and South American nations where pedestrians and bicyclists get killed all the time, and people don't really think that much of it. That influences the culture here, which is very different from other major US cities.

People are not just being negative, I think they're showing genuine concern, based on a reality they know from living in Miami and seeing bad things happen to people. Drivers here are terrible, as you will see many threads attesting to. Please make sure you have a helmet and some protective clothing, don't just ride in sandals and shorts with a bare head like the idiots here. If you have an accident, you want it not to be forever.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:55 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,969,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslhomie View Post
Riding a bike in Miami is considered a form of suicide.
A death wish.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:02 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,865,706 times
Dozens of people are injured or killed by hit and run drivers here each year. Most are caused by bike riders in gangs who think they own the road and do not have to obey traffic rules. They show up with no permit by the dozens and take over main roads and prevent traffic from moving. They run red lights and stop signs and expect people to yield to them.

Also drivers here get their licenses from the back of a match book. Sometimes they even pay the instructor to take the road test for them. People are facetiming, texting, putting on make up, reading books and papers while others are just plain assh***s and will push you off the road into a ditch just for the hell of it.

If you want to ride these roads make sure you have a great insurance policy and your will made out.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:31 AM

604 posts, read 618,323 times
I consider myself an oblivious to danger cyclist, however I'm not brave enough to cross the bay on the MacArthur.

To the OP: Yes you can bike most of those places. And November is one of the best months to do so. (less rain, less humidity).
I would add to your list riding trough key Biscayne up to the beacon.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:58 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,865,706 times
Really? The ride out to Key Biscayne is considered one of the most dangerous in Miami.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:23 PM

604 posts, read 618,323 times
I told you that i am oblivious to danger. Still, it seems to me less dangerous than the McArthur causeway

Old 10-01-2015, 08:20 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Anyone who rides a bike anywhere except for a protected bike lane is tempting fate. Bicyclists and drivers in Miami are both insane. Even pedestrians are insane, walking out in the road asking to be run over. I was almost run over once trying to blow the street off in front of my parents home. Now when I do that job I use the bobcat and sweeper. Better to have 6000 pounds between me and the crazies.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:25 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
OP - Don't do it, Miami isn't a bike friendly town honestly.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:41 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslhomie View Post
Dozens of people are injured or killed by hit and run drivers here each year. Most are caused by bike riders in gangs who think they own the road and do not have to obey traffic rules.
Blaming the victim here, are we?

"Well, she shouldn't have been wearing such a provocative dress...."

Truth is most crashes involving bikes happen when the bicyclist is "riding clean." This has been the case for ALL of the recent fatalities of the past few years on the Rickenbacker, for example.

Look, I'm all for giving bicyclists tickets for breaking traffic rules, and I'm always trying to anticipate that not all drivers follow the law, but PLEASE don't blame anyone personally for getting hit while riding legally within their rights!!!!! And until 99% of drivers stay within the speed limit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami