Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 06:51 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,926,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Anyone who rides a bike anywhere except for a protected bike lane is tempting fate.
It's definitely true, although arguably, anyone who drives on our highways is tempting fate, especially late at night. Unless, I suppose, you're driving a semi truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 639 times
you can ride a bicycle anywhere. I ride from Barry University to Downtown Miami which takes me about 45 minutes. You just need to have COMMON SENSE, which is lacking in this city as you can see from the posts.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:07 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,859,457 times
No the victims are the drivers who come upon these unsafe idiots on bikes. My wife was sitting at a light once waiting for it to turn green and a kid on a bike came roaring across the intersection out of nowhere and slammed into the side of her car. Guess who's fault it was? Not the kids even though she was not moving and not in the crosswalk the rider always has the right of way but no responsibility. That is why these idiots use the law in their favor. They know that if hit they have no responsibility or liability.

One example was the Fox news reporter who's husband lost control of his bike, crossed the center lane and was killed by an oncoming car in Virginia a couple of weeks ago. Very tragic but preventable.

As for the causeway going to Key Biscayne you come over the hill and a bike is not in the bike lane and you have to slam on the breaks in order to keep from hitting them. They even have lanes but fail to use them.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:11 PM

182 posts, read 510,873 times
lol, yes, no, maybe so lol. I don't know what to think at this point!!!

I live in NYC and bike all over, I consider it to be fairly safe except for a few points. Can anyone compare it to biking in NYC?

Old 10-03-2015, 02:09 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,413,674 times
I would say the people of NYC are much more used to seeing people biking through the city, so they're more aware or at least much more open to sharing the road with cyclists. Drivers in Miami are not used to sharing the road with cyclist in my opinion.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslhomie View Post
No the victims are the drivers who come upon these unsafe idiots on bikes.
Don't try and change the topic here. When a bicyclist is riding fully within his or her rights and gets hit, they are the victim--period, end of discussion.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:16 AM

56 posts, read 133,737 times
If you came from Portland, I would say no but you're from NYC so why the hell not

Old 10-06-2015, 07:42 PM

32 posts, read 34,345 times
I go on weekend bike rides all over the Miami area and have never had any issues or felt unsafe. Now, would I attempt rides during rush hour? I don't think so.

Stick to the non-rush times and you should be okay. Find the less "arterial" roads to get around on. A lot of times you can cut through a residential area and deal with a lot less traffic than if you were on, say, US 1 or NW 2nd Ave. It's especially easy to do this east of I-95, where the street grid is regular and not full of dead ends like it is further out west in the suburbs.

One of my favorite scenic places to ride in the entire area is Coral Gables/Coconut Grove. Lots of quiet side streets you can get around on, lots of tree cover to keep the blazing sun off you and not as much traffic. Here's a link to a recent ride I did. Notice the heavy use of side streets to avoid stressful traffic.

Cyclemeter - Cycle - Oct 3, 2015, 6:16 AM

Old 10-07-2015, 10:13 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,859,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Don't try and change the topic here. When a bicyclist is riding fully within his or her rights and gets hit, they are the victim--period, end of discussion.
I agree but you need to go back to school and learn reading comprehension skills.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
I consider myself an oblivious to danger cyclist, however I'm not brave enough to cross the bay on the MacArthur.

To the OP: Yes you can bike most of those places. And November is one of the best months to do so. (less rain, less humidity).
I would add to your list riding trough key Biscayne up to the beacon.
Actually with the new rumble strips and additional foot of space and the 45 mph speed, the main stretch of the MacArthur isn't *that* much more perilous than the Rickenbacker any more (yes, people unfortunately do speed and use the right lane to pass on both causeways...). Especially the part of the Rickenbacker after the new bridge where the road curves and there are shadows from the trees and the bike lane narrows. Nevertheless, I stick to the separated walkways on the bridge portions of the MacArthur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami