Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 03:24 PM

4 posts, read 4,049 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent college grad and am moving to South Florida with my fiancée. We are in our early to mid 20s. I want to be somewhere around Miami, and I will be looking for a job once I get there. I'm going to have enough saved up by the time we move to do this.

Requirements:
-Must be on (preferably) or near the ocean
-Within 25 miles of downtown Miami (and not south of here)
-$1,800/mo. or less (not precise)
-At least 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom
-Preferably a detached house and not a condo or apartment, but certainly flexible

I've looked online at some listings and there seem to be many that meet these requirements. I don't know which areas to look in and I'm not familiar with the region at all.

We are moving from out of state. If you need to know more about us, let me know!

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 09:18 PM

874 posts, read 900,465 times
Does your fiancee have a job lined up? If not, I hope you have a parent willing to cosign on a lease. Few landlords will rent to a couple with no steady source of income.

But assuming you do have about $40K in income... (because not only will you be paying rent, but electric, phone, internet etc), some popular neighborhoods for young people are midtown, edgewater, brickell, and dadeland. A lt will depend on what sorts of things you like to do in your spare time. Honestly, my advice is to figure out where you'll be working first.. then figure out where to live after that.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:34 PM

604 posts, read 618,672 times
Detached house right on the ocean for 1,800? yes, 1800 per day.

Apartment with bay view, I think you can get a nice one for that price.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:16 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,636,107 times
As oronzous said, you are WAY off with the idea you will get a detached house on or near the ocean. $1800 is low for any single family home in South Florida, regardless of location and especially not near the beach. However, you can get a very nice condo with all the amenities for $1800 with ocean view or bay view.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:27 AM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Sounds like you need to do a lot more planning before coming here. Your expectations are unrealistic

Old 04-19-2016, 09:55 AM

892 posts, read 860,423 times
Miami Beach/South Beach, 1-bedroom/1 bath townhouse no ocean view but within walking distance of the beach.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:47 PM

Everybody calm down! I said within 25 miles of downtown Miami. Not 2.5. I am willing to stretch this a bit as well. My expectations are not unrealistic; I said that I was certainly flexible on whether it were detached or not. I am aware that this region is particularly high in demand for real estate. I saw hundreds of postings south of Ft. Lauderdale that were on the ocean, and met every criteria. I am going to look north of Ft. Lauderdale now. I want a beach vacation town feel as opposed to big city, but I want to be close at the same time. Perhaps somewhere further up the coast between Delray and Pompano.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:05 PM

38 posts, read 65,250 times
Please let me know what you find as I'm looking as well. I think many failed to read your post of 25 miles away....For sure you can get a condo/townhouse for $1800 a month. Have you considered the newest area in Tampa that is 2 miles from downtown? I found Channelside and googled an article of Tampa condo market and read they are planning for much more development for more walkability to shops, restaurants, etc. The market is taking off and is half of what Miami is......You also have views of the bay and can visit St. Peterssburg for the beach.......

Old 04-21-2016, 09:03 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matador92 View Post
Perhaps somewhere further up the coast between Delray and Pompano.
Just hope you don't have to work in Miami if you look that far up. Or get used to being in your car 3 hours a day. What you want may be doable in Broward, but not Miami Dade, especially a non-condo property. That close to the beach (certainly not on the beach) is not easy to find in that price range unless you are talking about a condo/apartment rental.

Why move here without a job lined up? What industry do you work in? Do you guys speak Spanish?

Old 04-21-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgafl View Post
Please let me know what you find as I'm looking as well. I think many failed to read your post of 25 miles away....For sure you can get a condo/townhouse for $1800 a month. Have you considered the newest area in Tampa that is 2 miles from downtown? I found Channelside and googled an article of Tampa condo market and read they are planning for much more development for more walkability to shops, restaurants, etc. The market is taking off and is half of what Miami is......You also have views of the bay and can visit St. Peterssburg for the beach.......

Not really looking to live on the Gulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Just hope you don't have to work in Miami if you look that far up. Or get used to being in your car 3 hours a day. What you want may be doable in Broward, but not Miami Dade, especially a non-condo property. That close to the beach (certainly not on the beach) is not easy to find in that price range unless you are talking about a condo/apartment rental.

Why move here without a job lined up? What industry do you work in? Do you guys speak Spanish?
I don't want to live in Miami-Dade; I don't even want to work there. Broward would be ideal, Palm Beach less so. I have my own source of income and she's going to work a basic job until she's more qualified. No hablamos Espanol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami