Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 11:49 AM

4 posts, read 2,571 times

Advertisements

I live in Miami now and I am transferring to Atlanta. Miami IMO is the most over-rated city I have ever lived in. Hate it here. The rental rate are off the chart! What you can get in Atlanta plan to pay twice as much here. Be very, very careful who and where you are at all times. The crime and traffic is horrific! The people are extremely rude! I have been here 6months and I asked for a transfer after 2 months. Horrible place if you enjoy any type of order or discipline. You're in your late 20's so maybe that is not a problem but it absolutely sucks here to me. I leave in three weeks and can't wait to see it in my rear view mirror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 02:01 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenab48 View Post
I live in Miami now and I am transferring to Atlanta. Miami IMO is the most over-rated city I have ever lived in. Hate it here. The rental rate are off the chart! What you can get in Atlanta plan to pay twice as much here. Be very, very careful who and where you are at all times. The crime and traffic is horrific! The people are extremely rude! I have been here 6months and I asked for a transfer after 2 months. Horrible place if you enjoy any type of order or discipline. You're in your late 20's so maybe that is not a problem but it absolutely sucks here to me. I leave in three weeks and can't wait to see it in my rear view mirror.
A 3 -poster that complains about traffic and crime, you'll get the same in Atlanta except like you said the rent will probably be less. You can have that landlocked, somewhat polluted city. Very suspicious post. Decatur ain.t that great either. You have to think outside of the I-285 loop unless it has spread then it might be I-675, the north side is safe but expensive.

Buckhead and other parts of Midtown is another option but expensive there also as far as the City of Atlanta goes.

Last edited by perry335654; 10-26-2015 at 02:10 PM..

Old 10-26-2015, 05:21 PM

179 posts, read 325,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
A 3 -poster that complains about traffic and crime, you'll get the same in Atlanta except like you said the rent will probably be less. You can have that landlocked, somewhat polluted city. Very suspicious post. Decatur ain.t that great either. You have to think outside of the I-285 loop unless it has spread then it might be I-675, the north side is safe but expensive.

Buckhead and other parts of Midtown is another option but expensive there also as far as the City of Atlanta goes.
How long has it been since you lived in Atlanta? There's plenty of safe neighborhoods within the Perimeter, and a bunch more that are very quickly gentrifying and that I wouldn't hesitate to live in. Grant Park, Candler Park, Inman park, Druid Hills, and Virginia Highland are all very nice neighborhoods, and much more attractive than most of what you'll find down here. Reynoldstown, Kirkwood, Cabbagetown, and Edgewood are all gentrifying very quickly, and property values are going up, up, up. East Atlanta is turning into a very hip neighborhood, as well, and so is the Old Fourth Ward. And the actual area within the city limits of Decatur is very nice.

You remind me of one of my old coworkers when I was first moving to Atlanta. She would go on and on about how terrible Atlanta was, how the neighborhoods were all dangerous and scary. Turns out, she hadn't lived in or even been to Atlanta since the early 2000s or so. I didn't have the heart to tell her that in the proceeding 10 years, the "terrible neighborhood" that I was moving into was now lined with $600K+ restored Craftsman bungalows and that if someone wanted a house under $400K, they'd have to get very lucky and find one of the very few remaining unrestored houses that needed gutting.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:10 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
palm trees dont count as trees. lol.

those are nice tho up above. i like to see trees along the road way.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:32 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
A 3 -poster that complains about traffic and crime,....
Regardless of how many posts she has, ,I have no problem with the OP complaining about Miami and saying she is moving because she doesn't like it. Miami's not for everyone. It makes a helluva lot more sense than the trolls we have here who do nothing but complain about every aspect of Miami, from the weather, to the people, to the traffic, etc., etc., etc., but still choose to live here.

I hope the OP finds what she's looking for in Atlanta.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Regardless of how many posts she has, ,I have no problem with the OP complaining about Miami and saying she is moving because she doesn't like it. Miami's not for everyone. It makes a helluva lot more sense than the trolls we have here who do nothing but complain about every aspect of Miami, from the weather, to the people, to the traffic, etc., etc., etc., but still choose to live here.

I hope the OP finds what she's looking for in Atlanta.
No, I am saying that she is jumping from the frying pan in to the fire when she speaks of traffic and crime, especially traffic. I just get suspicious with a low count poster that it might be someone who was previously banned and just wants to bash. But if it is real then yea, I hope she is happy about the move, Atlanta has its good points, just not my cup of tea.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldl5112 View Post
How long has it been since you lived in Atlanta? There's plenty of safe neighborhoods within the Perimeter, and a bunch more that are very quickly gentrifying and that I wouldn't hesitate to live in. Grant Park, Candler Park, Inman park, Druid Hills, and Virginia Highland are all very nice neighborhoods, and much more attractive than most of what you'll find down here. Reynoldstown, Kirkwood, Cabbagetown, and Edgewood are all gentrifying very quickly, and property values are going up, up, up. East Atlanta is turning into a very hip neighborhood, as well, and so is the Old Fourth Ward. And the actual area within the city limits of Decatur is very nice.

You remind me of one of my old coworkers when I was first moving to Atlanta. She would go on and on about how terrible Atlanta was, how the neighborhoods were all dangerous and scary. Turns out, she hadn't lived in or even been to Atlanta since the early 2000s or so. I didn't have the heart to tell her that in the proceeding 10 years, the "terrible neighborhood" that I was moving into was now lined with $600K+ restored Craftsman bungalows and that if someone wanted a house under $400K, they'd have to get very lucky and find one of the very few remaining unrestored houses that needed gutting.
Yea, I have to admit it has been a long time since living there, I had heard they had razed a lot of the slums, projects in the city of Atlanta. I remember being in Cabbagetown area a long time back as a friend said she had once lived there. It was pretty rough looking back then, I believe Cyclorama was shut down for being in such a rough area. I heard they improved Underground Atlanta as that area was dangerous back in the late 70's.

When one thinks of Atlanta one thinks of urban sprawl. I know Gwinnett County had a humongous boom and is still growing, the fastest growing county. I used to live in Clayton County off of Riverdale Road and I-285. The northside of I-285 and Riverdale Road they razed most of that area just to expand the airport. I think I heard they finally might be getting a bus system in the county, that will be nice.

So, I apologize for my ignorance, I was envisioning it way back and thought it to growing outward but not inward.

Last edited by perry335654; 10-27-2015 at 09:09 AM..

Old 10-27-2015, 06:51 PM

463 posts, read 559,575 times
I grew up in Atlanta as well. To be honest I am biased against the city only because it was my hometown and I didn't really enjoy living there growing up and wanted a fresh start somewhere else.

For someone looking to relocate, Atlanta really can't be beat in terms of cost of living and job opportunities. Many companies have their headquarters or regional offices setup in ATL. Housing is much cheaper than Miami. The food and dining scene is solid.

Like Miami, everything is spread out and you pretty much need a car unless you plan on living/working/playing within the Buckhead-Midtown-Downtown corridor which is accessible through Marta.

I found Atlantans as a whole to be more settled and socially conservative compared to other large urban areas. Especially South Florida. I think its the presence of so many corporations and churches which create a generally restrictive social environment.

Miami OTOH is every neat freak, morality warrior, and organized stickler's worst nightmare, so I can see why it inspires so much bashing and frustration. There really is not a whole lot of rhyme and rhythm to the way the city functions. But people really know how to party and enjoy themselves down here, way less of the uptight vibe which I got in ATL.

Miami is the place to be if you're young single and still not ready to settle down. Atlanta is great to start and raise a family.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:06 PM

463 posts, read 559,575 times
The one thing about ATL which drove me crazy was the constant rain and wild swings in temperature. Miami gets rain too, but its usually just a torrential downpour which lasts for about 30 mins and then its sunny again. ATL gets the miserable damp drizzle and overcast which can last for days.

Wild temperature swings outside of summer are also a pain. During winter, it can be mild as can be one day and then the next day a deep freeze and then back to being mild. The best way to describe ATL weather is schizophrenic.

I enjoy the year-round weather in Miami since that means less clothes I have to buy and less having to check the weather forecasts to make sure I don't forget my hoodie.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:30 PM

719 posts, read 1,332,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post
The one thing about ATL which drove me crazy was the constant rain and wild swings in temperature. Miami gets rain too, but its usually just a torrential downpour which lasts for about 30 mins and then its sunny again. ATL gets the miserable damp drizzle and overcast which can last for days.

Wild temperature swings outside of summer are also a pain. During winter, it can be mild as can be one day and then the next day a deep freeze and then back to being mild. The best way to describe ATL weather is schizophrenic.

I enjoy the year-round weather in Miami since that means less clothes I have to buy and less having to check the weather forecasts to make sure I don't forget my hoodie.

I 2nd this, and it's getting on my nerves!!! Ever since our summer about 3yrs ago where we "had no summer, and all it did was rain" I've noticed this. When it rains it can linger for a week. Grey, rainy depressing weather.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami