Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 10:53 PM

471 posts, read 621,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
Throughout the US there are people who will criticize those who speak other languages by saying "This is America, we speak English". I'm wondering if it's the same in Miami except it would be more "This is Miami, we speak Spanish". Do people who don't know Spanish get hostile treatment?
Lol...

No. This city is bilingual.

America is a Spanish word FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 11:10 PM

27 posts, read 28,913 times
To be honest, and I am surprised no-one has mentioned this, you wont be treat with outright hostility if you speak English, but you will be treated better if you speak in Spanish generally

Old 10-25-2015, 10:05 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical1987 View Post
To be honest, and I am surprised no-one has mentioned this, you wont be treat with outright hostility if you speak English, but you will be treated better if you speak in Spanish generally
Agreed, though not something you need to really worry about in some parts of town.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:09 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
No, it's not, FYI.

You might want to research its etymology before making any additional erroneous pronouncements.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:50 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampliment View Post
Lassie

I see many Scotts getting across their message without needing Spanish, very expressive, lovely, gentle and communicative people. Why Cubans or Hispanics should have any grudge against Scotts from Scotland? You are no "gringo" in a spaghetti movie, but Scott.
I never said they did. As I said, this happened to me very few times in all the time I lived in Miami, and the folks who did it were strangers I never saw again. And as I also said, their reasons for doing so were best known to themselves. IMO it was never worth even thinking about after it happened, let alone spend any time assigning motives. It certainly was not the norm, as I mentioned in my post.

What do Scots from Scotland have to do with any of this?

Old 10-26-2015, 03:45 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
Throughout the US there are people who will criticize those who speak other languages by saying "This is America, we speak English". I'm wondering if it's the same in Miami except it would be more "This is Miami, we speak Spanish". Do people who don't know Spanish get hostile treatment?
On the contrary, I have experienced the opposite. For instance, when I want to be treated with respect or get something accomplished it is usually english only. It seems that when you speak english most people are not in their comfort zone so they don't get too comfortable, complacent, disrespectful or unhelpful.

Example: If I am going to return something or complain about something it is usually english and I have noticed a difference. But if I am going to haggle on a price I want people to feel comfortable so I will negotiate in spanish most of the time.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:44 AM

212 posts, read 208,936 times
Just one thing I remember from government offices, post offices years ago. Maybe now is different.

There were always three or four very fat "tokens" whose English or Spanish was not proficient at all, and there was always some American women in her forties that was the only person in the entire office that knew what was going on.

If you spoke directly to that women, you could save hours of "ugg", "donno", "you forgot the cheese", etc.

And I agree with the previous post, if the employee looks like somebody that loves novelas, long conversations, gossip and has her nails painted in different colors...better to speak English.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:30 PM

471 posts, read 621,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
No, it's not, FYI.

You might want to research its etymology before making any additional erroneous pronouncements.
Enlighten us then. How America is not a Spanish word?? Lol..

Old 11-02-2015, 06:44 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,866,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
Lol...

No. This city is bilingual.

Please learn history. We should all be speaking Italian LOL

Amerigo Vespucci: Facts, Biography & Naming of America

Old 11-02-2015, 08:39 AM

72 posts, read 76,873 times
You will likely be excluded often. I find that people will continue to only speak Spanish even though they can speak English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami