Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 11:12 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,865,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKeepMoving View Post
You will likely be excluded often. I find that people will continue to only speak Spanish even though they can speak English.

If that is the case then they will be poorly educated and isolated. A poor education is the same as slavery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 05:41 AM

16 posts, read 14,604 times
Just don't go to Miami and you will be fine. But if you have to bring a translator.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:07 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,393,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslhomie View Post
If that is the case then they will be poorly educated and isolated. A poor education is the same as slavery.
Being poorly educated is no way to go through life but it is definitely not equivalent to slavery.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:22 PM

471 posts, read 621,185 times
Quote:
Please learn history. We should all be speaking Italian LOL

Amerigo Vespucci: Facts, Biography & Naming of America
Americo is the Spanish word for Amerigo which is the Italian version of the name. America is a Spanish word and Ameriga would be the Italian version.

Also, Italia did not exist at that time. The conquistadors were mostly Spanish.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Recent car dealership experience. Went in they were blaring music in Spanish. All the salesmen were Spanish. When I spoke to a salesman he spoke English until another salesman came over then they switched to Spanish. Throughout the whole process I felt I was treated rudely because I don't know Spanish. It was total disrespect and when I filled out the survey I let them have it.

This is how Miami operates. I don't think many realize they are doing it but it happens. Some feel more comfortable speaking their language but they don't see the bigger point. In that case it was very rude.

Yes you are in America and you should speak English. The biggest reason is that if you don't then you limit yourself especially when it comes to being informed about what is going on. Even in Miami there are limits to Spanish news and many of them are slanted to only one side. If you only get one opinion on anything then you become indoctrinated.

I listen and watch everything I can before I form my feelings. I allow for them to be adjusted if the information changes. You can't get that if you are only getting supposed facts from only one source.

For the most part I don't think you are treated bad because you don't speak Spanish but in some cases I think they discriminate on purpose.
This is the land of the free and people speak whatever language they want to speak.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
See this response is what I am talking about. Sometimes it's rude and sometimes it's discrimination. This wasn't Spanish Motors it was a mainstream company with dealerships all over the country. I go to Spanish restaurants all the time in Miami. I don't make a big deal of it that sometimes they don't speak English. We find a way to communicate but if I go to a regular place I expect to be treated correctly if it is obvious that they know I don't speak Spanish and they clearly speak English. What they were doing was being culturally insensitive whether they knew it or not.

You show the hostile side of it.
Culturally insensitive? Lol... they communicated with you in English and communicated to others in Spanish. "Spanish" motors is a business and they are targeting all demographics. You need to take business 101.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
Americo is the Spanish word for Amerigo which is the Italian version of the name. America is a Spanish word and Ameriga would be the Italian version.

Also, Italia did not exist at that time. The conquistadors were mostly Spanish.

Listen, for arguments sake you are correct. Can't argue with rocks. Or in Spanish rocas.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
Culturally insensitive? Lol... they communicated with you in English and communicated to others in Spanish. "Spanish" motors is a business and they are targeting all demographics. You need to take business 101.

Well since they sold Japanese cars then they should have spoken Japanese. Nothing Spanish about the place other than the employees. People who are dealing with money are wrong to switch to a language you don't understand in front of you. I told them I would never deal with them again. Adios

Old 07-06-2016, 03:11 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
Are there some restaurants that don't have English-language menus?

Old 07-06-2016, 07:53 PM

874 posts, read 899,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Are there some restaurants that don't have English-language menus?
Yes, but probably none that a tourist would come across. Heck, I bet there are probably a few with menus only in Portuguese as well. Wouldn't stop me.. but I'm definitely an adventurous eater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami