Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2015, 07:58 PM

17 posts, read 20,929 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to Miami in near future but as I am moving from New York, I am really used to good public transportation. I see there is no really good public transportation network but I've seen there is a service called Metromover which seems to provide good connection to people living in Wynwood/Downtown/Brickell.

I would like to hear some opinions is this service reliable and can somebody rely on it if he works in Brickell and lives in Wynwood? That's just example. And how safe it is? Which stations should be avoided? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 08:31 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirlo View Post
I am planning to move to Miami in near future but as I am moving from New York, I am really used to good public transportation. I see there is no really good public transportation network but I've seen there is a service called Metromover which seems to provide good connection to people living in Wynwood/Downtown/Brickell.

I would like to hear some opinions is this service reliable and can somebody rely on it if he works in Brickell and lives in Wynwood? That's just example. And how safe it is? Which stations should be avoided? Thanks.
Well there is no driver on Metromover, it is pretty good service until it derails and there is a 20-50 foot drop depending on what area of the track you are on because it is obviously all elevated but I don't see this happening anytime to soon. It is free to use, it is safe until you get mugged but this rarely happens and it goes to all the places you stated except for Wynwood and believe me you will know when you are there it is one big mural painting part of town. Brickell you have to watch for cranes not hitting you on the head as there is a building boom going there, this rarely happens, the cranes hitting you on the head is what I am talking about. Have fun though and may the metromover stay on track Jack or whatever your name is.

Last edited by perry335654; 10-21-2015 at 08:56 PM..

Old 10-21-2015, 09:12 PM

604 posts, read 617,742 times
No metromover in Wynwood. It works as a local circulator in downtown and brickell only.

During daytime is safe. Never used at night.

Some drawbacks:
It is very slow. It stops every three blocks and stays there for like half a minute, provided that no hot chicks arrive. In that case somebody will hold the door for another 30 seconds. But hey, is that my colleague? let me hold the door another minute, so we can chat.

Small cars. It takes one smelly person to make it unbearable.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:39 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Metromover is :

1: Free
2: A 4.4 Mile elevated circulator system with 21 stations spread apart about 2 blocks.
3: A 3 Loop system, The Inner Loop (downtown) ,The Omni Loop (closer to Wynwood but does not serve it) and the Brickell Loop (serves everything in Brickell).There is a free trolley/bus that serves the WynWood/Edgewater area to the North.
4: one of the most successful automated People Mover systems in the world carrying a average of 35,300 passengers a day.
5: the circulator that connects with Miami's Heavy Rail system called Metrorail at the Government Center & the Brickell station which also connects with the Tri-Rail Commuter Rail line that takes you to Ft. Lauderdale & W. Palm Beach in addition to taking you to MIA.
6: Relatively safe! It don't have no "Ghetto" rats dragging pizza up the stairs like you do in NYC!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metromover

Last edited by Bobdreamz; 10-22-2015 at 08:55 AM..

Old 10-22-2015, 08:42 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,891 times
The inner loop is quite reliable and useful, it's the outer loops that are often delayed or broken down. Used to wait 3-5 minutes after just missing a train, they must have cut it back because now it's often 7 minutes or more, which makes it get crowded since they only run 1 car trains on the outer loops. Annoying when your destination *should* be ten minutes away and you know the inner loop is running two car trains every 1-2 minutes. Extremely annoying if that makes you also miss a Metrorail train and the next one is 10-20 minutes away (and if you were trying to transfer to a bus that runs every half hour, like you would if you work in Wynwood, then you're just screwed...). So yeah, unless my destination is sweat-sensitive, I usually just walk or use Citibike (and I keep a spare shirt at the office just in case). For such a dated and unreliable system, it's remarkable how much ridership it does get.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:13 AM

17 posts, read 20,929 times
So conclusion is that it's relatively safe but not so reliable to use it every day for work. I would definitely like to avoid using car every day as I was doing it my whole life. I prefer public transportation and cycling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
6: Relatively safe! It don't have no "Ghetto" rats dragging pizza up the stairs like you do in NYC!
And that's not all

https://youtu.be/suqVVums-sU
https://youtu.be/vFGEJMESr7s

Old 10-24-2015, 06:50 PM

604 posts, read 617,742 times
While the system is 4.4 miles long, the actual distance between the extreme stations (school district to Finance District) is just shy of 2 miles

Old 10-25-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
While the system is 4.4 miles long, the actual distance between the extreme stations (school district to Finance District) is just shy of 2 miles
One reason why it's so slow...it's far from a direct route.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:10 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
One reason why it's so slow...it's far from a direct route.
Car traffic in downtown Miami is also slow! Metromover will also get you there since it basically stops every 2 blocks but in a car you also have to park it.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Car traffic in downtown Miami is also slow! Metromover will also get you there since it basically stops every 2 blocks but in a car you also have to park it.
This is definitely true. And then you still have to walk from the parking spot to your destination!

But still, I mean, after riding Metrorail just 15 minutes all the way to downtown, it really shouldn't take another 15-20 minutes just to get to Omni terminal a mile and a half away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami