Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 12:54 AM

7 posts, read 12,022 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! Looks like I'll be heading to Florida once again, this time Miami. I will be relocating this fall, with a projected move date of October 2015.

A bit about me.
Not a Floridian but I have lived in Central Florida for a few years while working on my Bachelor's and Master's program. I ended up buying a condo and selling (big-mistake) after relocating to Queens, NY for a job out in Long Island. I know Central Florida very well(DAB/ORL/TAP), but never venture out to Miami on a personal level. Other than South Beach, Miami Airport, and driving thru to get to the Keys - I know nothing about it.

I'm 29 - Single - Male -
Salary USD 85K/Year + bonus -
Fluent in Spanish -
Office is in Brickell

Major Debt at the moment
Student loans Approx. USD 400.00/month
Car- USD 350.00/month
Rent- USD 1,400.00 for a studio (550sq ft) with minimal misc bills, and trying to invest/save as much as I can for the time being.

What areas would you guys recommend, not recommend, apt apps to research on, realtors if any? Like to live close to the action and mingle, but dont need to live on top of the action.
Looking for at least a 1 bedroom apt (near the water preferably), but would like to pay what I'm paying now to 1,600.00/month max, as Ill like to buy within 3 years.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 03:15 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodcord View Post
Hi Everyone! Looks like I'll be heading to Florida once again, this time Miami. I will be relocating this fall, with a projected move date of October 2015.

A bit about me.
Not a Floridian but I have lived in Central Florida for a few years while working on my Bachelor's and Master's program. I ended up buying a condo and selling (big-mistake) after relocating to Queens, NY for a job out in Long Island. I know Central Florida very well(DAB/ORL/TAP), but never venture out to Miami on a personal level. Other than South Beach, Miami Airport, and driving thru to get to the Keys - I know nothing about it.

I'm 29 - Single - Male -
Salary USD 85K/Year + bonus -
Fluent in Spanish -
Office is in Brickell

Major Debt at the moment
Student loans Approx. USD 400.00/month
Car- USD 350.00/month
Rent- USD 1,400.00 for a studio (550sq ft) with minimal misc bills, and trying to invest/save as much as I can for the time being.

What areas would you guys recommend, not recommend, apt apps to research on, realtors if any? Like to live close to the action and mingle, but dont need to live on top of the action.
Looking for at least a 1 bedroom apt (near the water preferably), but would like to pay what I'm paying now to 1,600.00/month max, as Ill like to buy within 3 years.

Thoughts?
close to the water and living near the action and work in Brickell? sounds like Brickell is perfect for a young professional like you or downtown Miami

Old 12-26-2014, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,204 times
I don't know about your rental budget because I live way down in Homestead and own a house for half that montly. Traffic in Miami is horrible. Try living close to work if possible. You should be able to find a brickel/downtown condo for in your budget. You could also look at Coconut grove. Very cool area with a eclectic night life. Coral Gables is also nice but may be too pricey. Dadeland is a nice area south of downtown but traffic may drive you crazy. It really bottlenecks there. Your main roads are US-1 (east) 826 (highway that runs north and south from north miami to Kendall). Trunpike (west). Good Luck and Welcome.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:15 AM

Thank you Jack / Ace,

So Downtown Miami has the best access to the main roads? Can you take the metrotrain into Brickell? Thoughts on Midtown/Edgewater Area?

Old 12-26-2014, 11:31 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,432,497 times
OP-Do not move to homestead if you are looking to be in the action. It's far from Brickell and boring. Look into Brickell where you'll be working. It will exactly what you are looking for. Also you can sometimes negotiate on rent prices.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:13 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodcord View Post
Thank you Jack / Ace,

So Downtown Miami has the best access to the main roads? Can you take the metrotrain into Brickell? Thoughts on Midtown/Edgewater Area?
yeah Brickell u can take the metromover around in downtown and Metrorail to the airport or Kendall (Mall). Take a taxi to the Grove etc.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:22 PM

Thank you all- when would it be a good start to start looking for an apt.
Here in NYC Rentals dont last 30 days in the market, pretty much you have to be ready to make an offer when looking at the unit. I lost a couple of opportunities at other rentals because I waited a day or two before making a decision. Is the market like that down in Miami? Also should I deal with a realtor/broker as they are common in NYC? or would you guys reccomend just dealing with the leasing office directly?

Many Thanks!

Old 12-29-2014, 08:28 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Since you are out of state I would use a realtor. Makes it an easier process

Old 12-29-2014, 01:43 PM

56 posts, read 69,051 times
The key to happiness in Miami is living very close to your workplace, otherwise the traffic will suck the life out of you! The Brickell area seems the best option for you, though not sure if you can get a 1 bedroom with your budget, probably a nice studio is more likely. Coconut Grove and the north end of Coral Gables are also not too far from where you'll work and very nice areas, and probably will have more housing options within your budget. Midtown/designer district is still too iffy for me, but you may want to look into it as well. Remember: try to find a place no more than a 30 minute drive from where you will work. Good luck!

Old 12-30-2014, 07:34 AM

50 posts, read 60,492 times
Brickell or Downtown definetly. Use a realtor as it's no cost to you.
Budget will be tight but doable TODAY but rentals have been going up
Buy Rent 31 Se 5 Street Unit - yellowkeyrealty.com
or you can have a roommate as 2bds are good sized, not like NYC.
Market is not so competitive as NYC so you have days to think about it.

I made the move from Manhattan 2 years ago and love it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami