Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 05:31 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Yup, that cooler weather could be just around the corner. It HAS been a warm fall here in SW Florida, it's generally a bit cooler by now, but that really varies from year to year.

What gets me sometimes is the snowbirds here that make their way back from "up north" in September and early October ( and why they come that early is a mystery to me), and then complain that the weather is still too hot. That is a given in Florida in September, and often till the end of October.
For real! If there's anytime yer gonna be up north, it's gotta be October, that's when the leaves are gorgeous! I don't get why anyone would head down and miss that. I love snow but even if I didn't, I wouldn't wanna miss the autumn leaves either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 08:19 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
This is due to global warming. CO2 heats up when hit by electromagnetic waves and oxygen isn't. There is people that refuse to get rid of their old cars, contributing to global warming.

Humans release CO2 (7 billion people), cows release a lot of Methane (Cow fart), and factories and vehicles also release CO2 when burning fossil fuels. All that CO2 in the atmosphere gets heated by sunrays. The world is changing so rapidly that future generations will never experienced Earth as we know it today. The only process that transforms CO2 into Oxygen is photosynthesis and I see no one planting trees.

Also, Miamians do not have mass transit, that contributes to global warming, lots of residents with pick up trucks and Hummers.
Carbon Dioxide has much less effect on warming than water vapor. Most of carbon dioxide is consumed by plants, as it is only .04 % or less. Very very little can make it up to the upper ranges of the atmosphere where it can increase warming. There is something else going on in south Florida. For some strange reason the Miami area is being blocked from all but the strongest weather systems. You can see how fronts literally evaporate over the south Florida area but in Cuba they are getting normal rainfall. Puerto Rico has had long term droughts, but much of the Bahamas has been normal in rainfall. Either this is some made made geoengineering or more likely it is a hot or cool spot in the Atlantic that is constantly pushing towards the south Florida area. I just wish there was more research into the real cause of this horrible weather.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:58 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Well, it was beautiful last weekend. I was out at Tropical Park and the weather was wonderful. Normally train out there and the usual June-October[save one weekend in Oct] was horrendous. But that experience is part of building stamina and heat tolerance.

Season has changed for sure. We should expect much nicer. If the heat bothers you then: 1.You are overweight 2.You have poor cardio 3.You are not acclimiated to the South. Low BF and good cardio types are less affected by the heat/humidity.

Then again, I do recall it was much cooler when I lived in Davie for a year in 2009. Much more grass and tall trees and open areas to allow air currents to circulate. Down in Miami-Dade it really is lotsa concrete/asphale and towhnomes/zero lot line type to block airflow. Well IMHO.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:46 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Supposedly there is a front coming this weekend which will drop the temperatures down to more "normal" South Florida November levels.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:29 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Well, it was beautiful last weekend. I was out at Tropical Park and the weather was wonderful. Normally train out there and the usual June-October[save one weekend in Oct] was horrendous. But that experience is part of building stamina and heat tolerance.

Season has changed for sure. We should expect much nicer. If the heat bothers you then: 1.You are overweight 2.You have poor cardio 3.You are not acclimiated to the South. Low BF and good cardio types are less affected by the heat/humidity.

Then again, I do recall it was much cooler when I lived in Davie for a year in 2009. Much more grass and tall trees and open areas to allow air currents to circulate. Down in Miami-Dade it really is lotsa concrete/asphale and towhnomes/zero lot line type to block airflow. Well IMHO.
Being overweight makes little difference, I know fat people who take the heat better than me. I am 6'7" and 225, hardly overweight. Even when I was a skinny kid and we had a heat wave in 1986, I suffered greatly. This weekend I was climbing trees at mom's place to trim them, and was soaked in sweat in 15 minutes and the rest of the day till my shower. Was born and raised in Miami and never got used to the heat. Thankfully there was great weather from October-April as late as the 2000's.

You are right though about the concrete. While most people think of Hendry county as hotter than Miami, it is actually cooler, especially at night. The same where a friend lives in southwest ranches, and also in loxahatchee. We also got more rain this summer than the Miami area. But in the end it all comes down to air conditioning. After a long day on the farm or around Miami, it's time for a shower and food, then relaxing under the 70 degree air conditioning. By the way, if I sit near the thermostat I can see the temperature go up one or two degrees. High metabolism maybe?

Old 11-09-2015, 06:44 PM

389 posts, read 662,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
You are right though about the concrete. While most people think of Hendry county as hotter than Miami, it is actually cooler, especially at night.
I worked in Stuart for two years, commuting back home to Fort Lauderdale on weekends. Low temperatures in Stuart were usually at least five degrees cooler, often more. Yeah, it's 75 miles farther north, but that couldn't have made much difference. I always figured it was because Broward has almost 2 million people and is built up with heat-retaining concrete and asphalt. Martin County's population is 150,000, with virtually no development west of I-95 and the Turnpike.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:33 AM

31 posts, read 52,709 times
I can't take this heat anymore niether and less the damn humidity

Old 11-10-2015, 10:38 AM

31 posts, read 52,709 times
I was telling my wife the same thing about Halloween and the weather lol. sucks man but you either take it or leave it and I am planning on leaving it buddy. I'd lived down here all my life and as you get older you get tired of it. Plus there isn't really much to do down here anymore

Old 11-10-2015, 11:06 AM

389 posts, read 662,717 times
Raised this point a few years ago on another thread. Something I've noticed on local TV is that many of the forecasters refer to these unseasonably warm temperatures as "mild" instead of "hot." It's almost like they're afraid to offend the local tourism bureaus or something. C'mon, man -- it's hot!

Old 11-10-2015, 11:37 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Looks like we are back to the heat and no rain for relief. In the past we had cool weather for halloween. But as in the last 5 years it's November and 90 degrees. Will the air conditioner ever be able to shut off again? Not sure about the rest of you but I for one am fed up with sweating every time I go outside. Before 2010 it was not unusual for the central air to be turned off in November and not having to be restarted till April. Anyone remember those days? Growing up in the 70's it was very common to see dead branches where freezes killed them off. But there has not been a freeze since 1990 if my memory serves me right.
I've lived in south Florida 7 years and remember a freeze a few years ago where crops had to be watered at night so they would not freeze. There have also been some really cold nights in the past few years where I needed a space heater.

It will cool of it's only the beginning of November. By January we will have cold nights. I don't mind, I love the heat and hate the cold. Never noticed that it was much hotter this year. I always expect summer to last 10 months, and use AC at least a few days in January and February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami