Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 01:52 PM

79 posts, read 313,430 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are planning to head to Key West for our honeymoon in September. I've checked on some of the B&Bs in Key West and some of them are so pricey! Does anyone know of a nice B&B that is reasonably priced and still in a pretty good location to see the sights around Key West? Or do you have any suggestions of any reasonably priced lodging in the area?

Also, any suggestions of things we should definitely do while we're down there? I haven't been there since I was a kid and my fiance has never been... so we don't want to miss out on anything!

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 04:29 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
Courtney's place B&B is really nice. Off of the main drag but just a short walk to where the action is. They have rooms and cottages.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:19 PM

518 posts, read 2,225,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Courtney's place B&B is really nice. Off of the main drag but just a short walk to where the action is. They have rooms and cottages.
And I thought Courtney's was our little secret! My wife and I visit Key West annually and have stayed at Courtney's since 2000. The location is close to everything but just far enough away from Duval Street's noise, and the prices are reasonable -- there are usually some offseason deals available in September. The cottages are spacious and will give you a degree of privacy.

We've also heard good things about the Ambrosia House, and probably the only reason we haven't tried it is that we've become so well-established at Courtney's.

If you don't mind blowing the budget (about $200/person), one thing I'd recommend is the flight from Key West to Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas. The flight is spectacular and the snorkeling around the fort is the best we've ever experienced.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:17 PM

9 posts, read 75,317 times
Here's something I wrote back when.

Places to Stay
If you want to know about decent guesthouses and/or B&B's then my advice would be to contact the Key West Innkeepers. Just google that and you'll find contact info.

What to Eat
First things first and that would be breakfast. I recommend Ricky’s Blue Heaven at 615 Petronia Street. Just a note, get there early for breakfast as you will wait. I recommend the lobster Benedict (when in season) or pecan pancakes. Then there is Camille’s, a local’s favorite. Originally located on Duval they now own their own location on upper Simonton Street. Just look for the pink building across from First State Bank. Known for their “fun” food and festive menus Camille’s is a great place to dine. Both of these restaurants are a great choice for lunch and dinner as well.

For lunch and some of the freshest seafood to be found I suggest the ½ Shell Raw Bar located at the foot of Margaret Street on the historic seaport. This is the only place I eat fresh seafood in Key West. Their Grouper Po Boy’s are great! Also I believe the ½ shell has the best key lime pie on island. And if you love seafood but your spouse can’t stand it, they also have one of the best burgers on the island as well. If seafood isn’t your dish but barbeque is, then The Meteor Smokehouse located on Southard Street has some of the best Memphis barbeque that I’ve found. I recommend the Memphis baby back ribs and a ½ order of their “island sized” onion rings. Yum! If you want something healthier than their pulled pork Caesar salad will do just fine. If “people watching” is your thing then Fogarty’s on Duval Street is the place to do it. Located directly across from The Bull, on the corner of Caroline and Duval, Fogarty’s offers and extensive menu at reasonable prices. All of the above I would recommend for lunch and/or dinner as well.

Now it’s on to dinner. One of the best kept secrets is located on Southard just off of Duval Street called “The Café, A Mostly Vegetarian Place”. Offering a moslty vegetarian menu one my favorites is their homemade veggie burger with sweet potato fries and key lime curry sauce, something to experience first hand even if you are a meat lover. Other favorite places to wine and dine in Key West include The Café Marquesa located on the corner of Fleming and Simonton Streets (part of The Marquesa Hotel).This bistro style restaurant is oh so good and comes highly recommended. In addition, be sure to try the A&B Lobster House located on the historic seaport. With outside seating overlooking the historic seaport this restaurant has the best Oysters Roc to be found anywhere. On the other side of the island you will find Louie’s Backyard. Louie’s features terraced seating overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. The atmosphere at Louie’s makes this one of the most sought after dining experiences on island. In addition some other favorites are 915, Alices, Michaels, Cafe Med and Antonia’s. I have dined at all the above establishments and all are good choices. However, you can only eat so much in a few days.

What to Do
Snorkel trips and more
I suggest Captains Corner dive shop. This boat get’s you out to the reef and visits two locations to snorkel. Captains Corner also offers the most affordable “resort course” on the island. For $100 you can learn the basics of diving and be out to the reef before noon. If sailing to the reef with music and cold sodas and beer (afterwards) are your thing, then the “Floridays” is the way to go, Key West Activities - Floridays Water Adventures - Key West Snorkeling, Sunset cruises, & sailing charters, weddings. This 60ft. sailing vessel is the perfect boat to get away from it all on. With a capacity of approximately 22 people, enjoy a leisurely sail out to the reef and back. Although a bit more costly than other means of transportation out to the reef, it’s much better than being on a catamaran with 100 other people that you hardly know.

Another great way to get out on the water is with Danger Charters Welcome to Danger Charters - Key West's Finest Kayaking, Snorkelling & Sailing Fleet. Danger offers a combination snorkel/kayak trip to the Florida Keys National Wildlife Sanctuary, aka the “back country”. Out of all the trips that I have been on this is one of my favorites. With one of the most attentive crews Danger at 60’ LOA and Dangers’ Prize at 65’ LOA offer either a ½ day or full day trip. In addition, their Wind and Wine Sunset sail is the best evening trip on island…or in this case, off island.

One more thing that I would recommend is a trip to the Dry Tortugas and Ft. Jefferson National Park. Located 70 miles west of Key West there are two ways to get there. For getting there by boat I recommend the Yankee Freedom Dry Tortugas National Park Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas Ferry Key West Dry Tortugas Yankee Freedom. A large catamaran with air conditioning which offers breakfast, lunch and snorkel gear all included in the price of your ticket. Although the boat cost less, Seaplanes of Key West Seaplanes of Key West Florida are not that much more and you’re there in 45 minutes instead of 2 hours and 45 minutes. Also the trip via seaplane affords the opportunity to spend the rest of your day in Key West and not on your way back. Regardless of how you arrive, Ft. Jefferson is truly a site to see. Bring your snorkeling gear or use gear provided. First snorkel the mote wall surrounding Ft. Jefferson. Also be sure to check out the pilings on either side. Rarely explored by visitors, I’ve seen green sea turtles in and around these. After spending time in the water enjoy your lunch and then relax on the beach. Before leaving be sure explore the historic civil war fort. Either way, this trip is well worth the expense and if you have the time take it.

A Day at The Beach
If you’re not out on the water or in a bar then a day at the beach may be just the thing. Although Key West is not known for it’s beaches, Fort Zachary Taylor State Park has the best swimming beach on the island (when the wind is out of the north) Be sure to bring your snorkel gear. Just 40 minutes north of Key West is Bahia Honda State Park. Bahia Honda’s Sandspur beach was rated the best beach in the Continental US by Conde Nast Traveler. For more info visit Bahia Honda.

Exploring Key West
If the beach isn’t for you then be sure to visit places like The Ernest Hemmingway Home and Museum, The Key West Butterfly Conservatorium, Mel Fishers Maritime Museum, The Southernmost Point in the United States, The Harry S Truman Little White House and the Key West Lighthouse. In addition, the best way to get a quick overview of the island is the Conch Tour Train or the Old Town Trolley. Last but not leas, the must see and do is Mallory Square for one of Key West’s world famous sunsets. If the crowd at Mallory Square is not your thing you can always catch a peaceful sunset at Fort Zachary Taylor State Park or atop the Crown Plaza La Concha while listening to the acoustic music.

Nightlife
Lower Duval Street is the Mecca for door to door entertainment in Key West. Bar’s like the Hogs’ Breath Saloon, Capt. Tony’s, Sloppy Joe’s, and Irish Kevin’s just to name a few, can keep the party going for hours on end. However, it’s not the only place to find great live music while visiting. The Schooner Wharf on the historic seaport offers live entertainment in the afternoon and evenings. Vergilio’s on Applerouth Lane offers a variety of music throughout the week including jazz. And last but not least and voted one of the best bars in America as well as the most eclectic places to visit on island is the Green Parrot. This open air bar features some of the best blues acts touring throughout the south.

So, now that you have the info on where to stay, what to eat and what to do, put in your leave slip and take three to four days to do it all in. Not only does this afford one the opportunity to become part of the magic known as Key West, it all can’t possibly be done in one weekend.

Hope all that helps!

Mikel Lee

Old 02-25-2008, 03:52 PM

923 posts, read 3,093,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eadams2 View Post
My fiance and I are planning to head to Key West for our honeymoon in September. I've checked on some of the B&Bs in Key West and some of them are so pricey! Does anyone know of a nice B&B that is reasonably priced and still in a pretty good location to see the sights around Key West? Or do you have any suggestions of any reasonably priced lodging in the area?

Also, any suggestions of things we should definitely do while we're down there? I haven't been there since I was a kid and my fiance has never been... so we don't want to miss out on anything!

Thanks in advance.
Check ---www.vrbo.com or Vacation Rentals .com - #1 rated site for Vacation Homes, Beach Houses, Condo Rentals and Villa Rentals sometimes you can get a condo for as much as a room. I do this all the time but, never in
Key West.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:10 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,668,324 times
Mikel's suggestions are great! I want to add that if you want reasonably priced, authentic Cuban food that is walking distance to Duval Street / Old Town, go to El Siboney on Virginia Street. Best Cuban food in the Keys! The most beautiful beach in the area is Bahia Honda, which like Mikel said, is a 45 minute drive from Key West. It's worth it!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:49 PM

147 posts, read 190,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Mikel's suggestions are great! I want to add that if you want reasonably priced, authentic Cuban food that is walking distance to Duval Street / Old Town, go to El Siboney on Virginia Street. Best Cuban food in the Keys! The most beautiful beach in the area is Bahia Honda, which like Mikel said, is a 45 minute drive from Key West. It's worth it!
I would go as far as to say that Bahia Honda, pronounced Bay-a-honda by locals, is the nicest, cleanest, most pristine beach on the east coast of florida. It is definately the "southernmost beach" that is also a state park, so a lot of the foliage, animal life etc. there is stunningly tropical. More so than anywhere on the mainland.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:26 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
Here is a link to Courtney's B&B. Key West Bed & Breakfasts Courtney's Place Key West Bed & Breakfasts
For a honeymoon, I think it would be great, as it is off the beaten track yet close enough so you can walk to Duval. You also get to use the beach at a hotel near there, or at least they use to have that as part of staying there.

You can find cheaper motel rooms but be further away and have to drive and park to be near the action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami