Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 09:00 AM

400 posts, read 515,443 times

Advertisements

^^^^
Well...the Pharmacy is close to several apartment buildings, so I guess many customers just walk, and probably won't want to change.
It was the Holiday weekend so I imagine the bilinguals at the counter may have been on vacation.

The next guy in line, no English either, but his little girl did the translation; so everyone was happy. Not entirely true that if one of the parties does not speak the others' language there's going to be rudeness or cultural rejection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 09:06 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,396,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boert View Post
He was not. He was not being commercial. He should have a Spanish-speaking Pharmacist if many customers speak Spanish. .

Old 01-04-2016, 04:26 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,282 times
Have any of you watched the news today? Miami mayor Tomas Regalado was discussing the now-8,000 Cubans stranded in Costa Rica, and he said that "No local government is prepared for this". The city does not have the resources to house the thousands of Cubans potentially headed toward Miami. He also said "This is Mariel but in slow motion". Even the mayor recognizes the burden that these people would be, and he's Cuban himself. And yet, the Cubans on this forum are calling people "racist" for speaking out against this issue.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:31 PM

35,679 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Git Her Done View Post
Agreed 100%.

I agree 100% because sadly Cuban Immigrants are treated better than our beloved wounded, amputated and paralyzed War Veterans!

and whose fault is that the Cubans?

Old 01-04-2016, 04:38 PM

35,679 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I love cultural diversity, but I strongly believe that English should be the official language of the United States, not a second language. I realize it's not easy, especially when someone is working and trying to support a family, but at least an effort should be made to learn the language of any country you call home. If I moved to a Spanish speaking country, I would take classes, since what I remember from college would only get me to the airport bathroom.

do you know many do not even get past 5th grade? and some cannot read or write-- people just have NO idea-- BUT i will tell you I knew a physicist- she was from Cuba her mom died on the way here --and so forth --she never ever picked you the language, understood it -but could not speak it-- if you were in college you should know language is harder and harder the older you get for MOST people
Why It's Hard To Learn A New Language As An Adult - Business Insider

Old 01-04-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Have any of you watched the news today? Miami mayor Tomas Regalado was discussing the now-8,000 Cubans stranded in Costa Rica, and he said that "No local government is prepared for this". The city does not have the resources to house the thousands of Cubans potentially headed toward Miami. He also said "This is Mariel but in slow motion". Even the mayor recognizes the burden that these people would be, and he's Cuban himself. And yet, the Cubans on this forum are calling people "racist" for speaking out against this issue.

Holly Macro, I posted 6,000, NOW they are close to 8,000!! They reproduce so fast!

That is bound to be a human tragedy. Assume that Mexico will give them an in transit Visa, and will ALL the land border US posts bordering from South West California to South East Texas going to accept - anyone - with a Cuban passport. Just the fact that from about 2,000 stranded in Costa Rica, in a matter of weeks became 6,000 and now 8,000 may tell a little on, perhaps how easy is to, hmmm purchase a Cuban passport.
Without being too paranoid, it is a matter of National Security...just com'on in, yer feets are dry, in a matter of many weeks, months, we'll check ya and see if Ya'll actually them Cubans... ... Oh crap, all the addresses they gave after we let them in don't exist and now we can't finde them, hee, hee, tricky buggers.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:20 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,282 times
^When you've got the mayor of Miami saying that the city isn't prepared to handle all these incoming people, then that is some f'ed up crap.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:34 PM

The alleged 8,000 Cuban Citizens heading this way, will start with 180 as a pilot program, chosen because they are families with children. The 3 Central American Countries willing to get involved are only granting a transit Visa. The costs of airfare, bus and Visa fees to the Southern Mexican border will be entirely up to the migrants. Mexico will allow them to cross their border with Guatemala; but from there and on it is to the migrants to find their way to a US crossing point. But no mention of any special safeguards.
Looks like they will be left to their own resourcefulness and exposed to the perils of anyone else trying to reach a US border.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:32 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Really? Have you been there or are you getting this from something you read on the Internet? Do you know that over 20% of Israeli citizens are Arabs and have full voting rights, their own political parties, serve on the Israeli Supreme Court and hold diplomatic positions? Do you know that Israel welcomes gays who would otherwise be persecuted or murdered in their countries of origin?

Yes, discrimination against Arabs exists in Israel, but I don't understand the comparison. Sounds as if you're condoning antisemitism in Florida and saying Jewish citizens don't have the same rights as any other group in the United States.
LOL, this sounds like you are just reading off of the standard playsheet.

80% of the Palestinians don't get to vote despite living under Israeli authority. Israelis know and quite openly discuss the benefits of giving a small number of the Palestinians the right to vote. They have no influence on the political scene due to their numbers and due to the hostility Israeli Jews exhibit towards Christians and Muslims. But letting them have a token vote allows propagandists to tout Israel's "generosity".

Old 02-01-2016, 03:25 AM

4 posts, read 2,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Git Her Done View Post
I agree. I also have tons of friends from Mexico, Colombia, Brazil and Russia-All living LEGALLY in the USA and those friends get very angry when they hear or see about some dude that just walked across the border poor, broke and maybe even a hard core criminal in the country he running from.
Your Mexican, Colombian, Brazilian, and Russian friends don't come from communist countries where the monthly wage is $15-20. They also don't come from a country where their house, car, and any valuable assests are taken away from them by the government prior to leaving the country, where freedom of speech lands you in jail or possibly dead. That makes it almost impossible to come to a new country with money like most legal immigrants do. Cubans come to America with little to nothing, we may have a few bad apples like all ethnicities but don't be so little and generalize. For the most part we are a very friendly and successful bunch looking for nothing more than to contribute to the society. I mean we've gotten as far as having TWO Cuban presidential candidates at the very moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami