Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 07:49 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamigirl0416 View Post
Is it worth to relocate to Miami to Teach ? I'm thinking about going into teaching and looking at several Florida areas in which to relocate and go into teaching? Is it worth it to go to So Florida? What about activities for prek/k kids? Is it worth it?
1. save up so money

2. make SEVERAL trips down here during key times of year (dead of "winter", "spring" and dead of summer)

3. Make sure you rent a car when you get here. Drive around, make sure you are out at 12 in the afternoon, 8 in the morning and 5/6 in the evening.

4. Go to the malls, local restaurants, movie theaters. Hit the down town areas, south beach, the flea markets. Basically do LOCAL things (not tourist things).

5. Start reading local news papers online (miami herald and sun sentinel).

After all that, with about a years worth of research, make your decision. Go into it with no preconceived notions or ideas. Just take it for what it is. Then ask yourself, what you want out of life and what you expect in the form of quality of life, out of a city. If this place has what you want then go go go go. If it doesn't, then as the saying goes "fall back".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 06:03 AM

53 posts, read 416,244 times
Absolutely not!!!!!! Teachers get paid poorly and can barely survive in this city unless you take on another job. I have a relative that is a teacher and is currently back in school to try and get a better job. I have another friend who is a teacher and he has up to 3 different jobs to try and help ends meet. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the school system in S. Fla suxxxx!!

Old 02-05-2008, 09:24 AM

36 posts, read 131,835 times
thanks for all your opinions... I'm still considering my options !I will take it into consideration. Teaching is a noble profession and the important thing is to help the kids learn . I just want to find the right place for me and my little one. A place to teach and raise my family. I was born in Mia so I have some idea but wanted more insight. I'm currently out of state! Thanks

Old 03-20-2008, 02:54 PM

36 posts, read 131,835 times
Wild Style I like your idea. Taking a year to think about things. Saving and taking trips till I can see. I'm still looking at Teaching.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:04 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Is it worth to relocate to Miami to Teach ? I'm thinking about going into teaching and looking at several Florida areas in which to relocate and go into teaching? Is it worth it to go to So Florida? What about activities for prek/k kids? Is it worth it?
I posted yesterday about I memo I read sent out by Miami's area super intendant. Umm lets just say the prognosis is not good for Dade county school board right now. Lay offs-o plenty. Hasn't hit teachers yet but thats the next step.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:40 AM

314 posts, read 1,037,067 times
so science teachers are in demand. is this just in bad/poor areas? are the salaries the same in places like hialeah compared to places like miami beach and coral gables? Dade county teachers don't make more due to the high cost of living?

Old 07-16-2008, 10:03 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
Quote:
The moment I read the title of this thread, I gasped.
I respect teachers the same way I respect veterans. You really touch students lives forever (if you're a good teacher). Its an honorable career, but I couldn't do it. Out of my respect, I must tell you that DO NOT move to FLORIDA if you plan on staying teaching.

Every single teacher I know in Florida is unhappy with their job or has stopped teaching. I even witnessed, while in a lab, two college professors (at BCC) talking to each other about how they were suppose to get a raise already but didn't. I couldn't believe they were speaking about this in a room full of students, but hey, I can't blame them.

Miami may be one of the worst places to teach since public education here does not seem like its held in high regard. Please, make sure your spouse or family make a lot of money if you do come down. Switch careers if you must must must live in Miami. Here are some links to check out:

Teachers Protest Pay Raise Renegotiations - Education News Story - WPLG Miami (http://www.local10.com/education/16744278/detail.html - broken link)

State: Low pay drives teachers out of state

Old 07-16-2008, 10:28 AM

483 posts, read 1,544,830 times
Right now would be about the worst time to even consider Miami to teach in public schools, the whole state is in a big dillema with tax cuts and its leading to other cuts. Just a bad idea right now.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:28 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I posted yesterday about I memo I read sent out by Miami's area super intendant. Umm lets just say the prognosis is not good for Dade county school board right now. Lay offs-o plenty. Hasn't hit teachers yet but thats the next step.
You can predict the future!

Old 07-16-2008, 11:30 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Please, take the wise advice of the other postings here and do not come to south Florida. Wait until after the real estate bubble bursts and the economy melts down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami