Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 02:11 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Sounds a bit draconian, but perhaps it's time to charge tolls that go up with congestion to discourage unnecessary trips during peak hours. Good old supply and demand.
If the road gets too expensive for some people to drive, traffic will be reduced and flow more smoothly. But a whole bunch of people won't be going where they want to. But MDX and politicians will have full pockets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 01:47 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
If the road gets too expensive for some people to drive, traffic will be reduced and flow more smoothly. But a whole bunch of people won't be going where they want to. But MDX and politicians will have full pockets.
Right now, people can't get where they want/need to go *during peak hours* due to traffic congestion. It's really an inevitable situation when the demand is greater than the supply. Many of us already plan our trips around traffic conditions and still get what we need to do done, and more people would just have to adjust their trips. But for those with low incomes and/or children, one can easily imagine a system of toll rebates and annual plans for commuters, like the Rickenbacker and Broad causeways currently have. Plus MDX can always be required to return excess toll money as they already have done this year.

Besides, the greatest expenses with driving are really the car itself, wear and tear/repairs/maintenance, and insurance. These expenses already make it too expensive, relative to their salaries, for some people to drive. These people currently have no choice but to overextend themselves financially with a vehicle, but they should be able to get around via mass transit or walking/biking without getting killed in the process.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blam View Post
that's cute. here's a map of a real bottleneck in case you are interested. purple means "parking lot"
Good thing we have an urban development boundary and thus have not extended the 836 out to SW 352nd Avenue.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:48 PM

367 posts, read 940,699 times
Doesn't surprise me....

Old 11-30-2015, 06:45 AM

604 posts, read 617,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Traffic will be no better if they ever finish construction. You know that the palmetto expressway has been under continuous construction since it was started in the 1950's. ....
Construction won't finish. They are already widening of 826 between 836 and I-75 in order to cram lexus lanes in it.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:58 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
Construction won't finish. They are already widening of 826 between 836 and I-75 in order to cram lexus lanes in it.
So are they widening or cramming?

Old 12-01-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Quite a few Corollas and old pickups using those so-called "Lexus lanes" on I-95 and I-595.

Incidentally, the MDX chief was on the radio this morning talking about the toll rebates. I wonder if they will apply the express lane tolls as well. $50/year was the number they use as the eligibility criterion, and the average of those getting rebates was around $150/year. This doesn't sound like it would be a fortune for most people, though of course, many people pay several times this. You would think MDX would use the "excess" toll money to expedite the construction process to make things better for the people paying the most tolls, but I guess that would make too much sense...

Old 12-01-2015, 08:46 AM

604 posts, read 617,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
So are they widening or cramming?
looks to me that they are widening just a bit, in order to have more separation between regular and toll lanes. I don't think the number of lanes will increase.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:40 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Quote:
looks to me that they are widening just a bit, in order to have more separation between regular and toll lanes. I don't think the number of lanes will increase.
So, it will be like I-95

Why couldn't they build express lanes like they did on I-595? That's a masterpiece.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:06 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
As long as the Fed keeps interest rates low they can sell bonds for endless construction. Every road is under construction due to easy money. When the easy money gravy train stops so will the construction. Bonds will go bust and tolls will not even start to cover the disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: