Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:51 PM

70 posts, read 243,594 times

Advertisements

well I am assuming if you make 80-100k a year or more...than the problems of south florida really won't affect you much because you're living in the nice spots of south florida enjoying the times of your life.....like weston,parkland,etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 02:56 PM

551 posts, read 3,122,782 times
I disagree. I'm not making $80K and enjoy Miami. I live comfortably, but am not wealthy.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:56 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
To tell you the truth...yes...there are a lot of problems in urban areas, and South Florida is no exception and in fact this effect tends to be exaggerated here. Thats why people insulate themselves in urban areas. It's also not like Weston and Parkland are the only areas where you don't wake up to gunshots and don't sit in non-stop bumper to bumper traffic 24-7...it's also not like every lower income person has to force themselves to live in any particular spot they feel uncomfortable in. A very good friend of mind is what you could consider "working class" and he actually really likes Hollywood and feels comfortable there. I'm not saying you or anyone else will (personally I wouldn't lol I think I would rather be someplace else in that situation), but it's all subjective, and he hasn't been mugged or anything. In fact I have suggested him to move and seek a better life somewhere and nope, he really likes it. Also, somebody in the less-than-50,000 bracket could try going to school, looking for a better job, leaving for a cheaper metro with more jobs (Houston, Dallas, Atlanta come to mind), etc...

I think the only people that enjoy living in any city are those who live comfortably, but living comfortably does not necessiarly mean living with a high income. There are a lot of miserable people with high incomes in Boca Raton whereas there are a lot of happy lower income people in North Miami Beach. I'm not going to say that it's wholly in your mind, but your mind does certainly play a role in leading yourself into other successes in wherever your location is.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:28 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohope View Post
well I am assuming if you make 80-100k a year or more...than the problems of south florida really won't affect you much because you're living in the nice spots of south florida enjoying the times of your life.....like weston,parkland,etc...
my house hold falls into those price ranges you named and we don't like it here. Its just not for us, to each his/her own.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:35 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,022 times
I'm not sure there's a "one size fits all" answer to the original poster's question. For one thing, if you are single, or a couple without children, making $80,000-$100,000 a year here, you're probably comfortable financially as long as you live within your means. A few children on that same income would alter that -- some of my neighbors fall into that category, and I hear their stories on an almost daily basis.

There's also the "money can't buy happiness" part of the equation that the last few posters have alluded to. I've met people here who are quite secure financially but want to leave for nonfinancial reasons -- they want better schools for the kids, miss the change of seasons, don't like hurricanes, whatever. On the other hand, there are people like one of my wife's best friends. She owns a small, struggling business and is having trouble making ends meet, but she loves the weather, the beach and her friends and has no interest in leaving South Florida. Her approach is, "I've just got to work harder, bring in more revenue, then I'll be more financially secure."

Old 02-04-2008, 04:07 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
I don't agree, sorry it doesn't matter how much you make in South Florida you can still not like it. For instance I had friends that lived in Pinecrest, made a good living, drove nice cars, and still they didn't like South Florida. Another example, friends that lived in the nice part of Coconut Grove, made a good salary (over 100k) still didn't like it either any more (as South Florida has changed for the worse in the last 10 years, its really sad), both couples have left the state. And are so happy they left South Florida.

So it doesn't matter what you make in South Florida, you still can be unhappy here with all the other issues of South Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohope View Post

Old 02-04-2008, 04:18 PM

672 posts, read 905,330 times
Default Count me in on the that

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
I'm not sure there's a "one size fits all" answer to the original poster's question. For one thing, if you are single, or a couple without children, making $80,000-$100,000 a year here, you're probably comfortable financially as long as you live within your means. A few children on that same income would alter that -- some of my neighbors fall into that category, and I hear their stories on an almost daily basis.

There's also the "money can't buy happiness" part of the equation that the last few posters have alluded to. I've met people here who are quite secure financially but want to leave for nonfinancial reasons -- they want better schools for the kids, miss the change of seasons, don't like hurricanes, whatever. On the other hand, there are people like one of my wife's best friends. She owns a small, struggling business and is having trouble making ends meet, but she loves the weather, the beach and her friends and has no interest in leaving South Florida. Her approach is, "I've just got to work harder, bring in more revenue, then I'll be more financially secure."
We make over $100,000 and have good jobs and a nice home. I cannot wait to get out of here. I would rather be struggling and be where I wanted to be, near my kids, have the 4 seasons, be in a "blue state", than have the material things that money buys. I have lived on both sides.

Money cannot buy you happiness.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:39 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
Money cannot buy you happiness.
I totally agree.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:41 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,134,209 times
I would say yes to your question. I think the bigger caveat though is owning something, a condo, house etc. If you rent here and earn the median wage, you will be miserable. Unless you earn WELL above the local average wages for your profession, you won't like it here. Money does not buy happiness, but it does buy you a house in a dafe neighborhood which in turn raises your opinion of South Florida.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:46 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
I don't think anyone likes living here. Only me. I'm clearly lacking in sanity and have some perception issues, and I probably look down on people and am very rude and snobby (and Hispanic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami