Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Moving to miami from NY
Public schools information for autistic children 2 40.00%
Apartments information 3 60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:44 AM

44 posts, read 238,454 times

Advertisements

Lisi, what kind of a price range are you looking for and what will your work situation be? We do have areas wherein you can live without a car (though not as easily as in NYC) but what I would suggest will differ depending on your specific needs

Victory School is a specialized school for autistic children, and many of the public schools have excellent programs too. Here is a list of resources for Miami-Dade (and Florida) and I would also suggest contacting the University of Miami. I don't know if this is the correct number (http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/1,1770,2593-1;48999-3,00.html - broken link), but it's a place to start. Also, the web link for the Autistic Child Advocate Association (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 05:09 PM

230 posts, read 666,739 times
Check out the Dan Marino Children's Center in Weston,(Broward County). People drive and fly in from all over the country.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 8,999 times
I wanted to thank you for your time and the reply. Your information helps a lot.
God bless, thank you

Old 08-27-2008, 11:16 AM

4 posts, read 12,643 times
Default Or even way far north !

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiliz View Post
...Also do not be afraid to look into Broward County. In my opinion only, Broward does better when it comes to Social Services. I think this is a direct result of a lower population and a little higher taxation.
I left Homestead last year for NE Florida. Much better and Jacksonville area has some fine schools including for your particular needs.

Miami has some of the worst traffic in America according to ratings. Miami is not what it used to be...hot, air quality not always up to par due to traffic. Poor bus reliability. The Metro does run pretty well but very limited route.

Nothing is close to anything else...you would do a lot of driving almost any place you were in Miami. Stay off the roads mornings and evenings!

Better yet...avoid SE Florida and look into NE Florida. Anything North of Orlando will be much nicer and more laid back and less expensive.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:20 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reelectnoone View Post
I left Homestead last year for NE Florida. Much better and Jacksonville area has some fine schools including for your particular needs.

Miami has some of the worst traffic in America according to ratings. Miami is not what it used to be...hot, air quality not always up to par due to traffic. Poor bus reliability. The Metro does run pretty well but very limited route.

Nothing is close to anything else...you would do a lot of driving almost any place you were in Miami. Stay off the roads mornings and evenings!

Better yet...avoid SE Florida and look into NE Florida. Anything North of Orlando will be much nicer and more laid back and less expensive.
------------

I find the Metro fine but your so right limited and in my case getting to Metro from Doral took 2 buses and a 3 hour wait .

I took it when I went to VA center other than that I drive .
Public transportation here is a real disgrace but the average Miamian isn't concerned .

Old 12-21-2008, 08:02 PM

294 posts, read 1,149,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reelectnoone View Post
air quality not always up to par due to traffic.
Actually, air quality in Miami is consistently rated best in the country for a city of its size.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,462 times
Well there is a school called biscayne elementary it's located on 79 street on miami beach, fl the phone number is 305 868 7727 i know because that is where I took my son for special classes they do have a autistic class room if anything call me at 786 3480823 My name is Valerie call me if you have any problems I can give you all the info you need because I have a child with autism as well.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:17 PM

5 posts, read 7,107 times
Hi befriend,

I am moving to Miami by June and I have a 5 year old autistic son. Did you find a good school for your kids? please let me know.

thank you

Old 02-16-2012, 03:59 PM

3 posts, read 19,707 times
I am a south florida resident with a 5 yr old son that has autism. i don't know what school to put him in. the schools in my district don't have classrooms that cater to his needs. does anyone know where i can go in broward county or push come to shove, west palm beach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami