Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 07:59 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabi0 View Post
From Boston.
When I say overpriced I mean comparing it to what you get.
For example, renting an apartment in downtown Boston is crazy expensive (like SOBE or slightly more), however you can have a nice place outside Boston proper and still have subway/train/bus, shops, restaurants, etc. Also the towns are arranged differently, not just houses and malls. It is pretty walkable in Boston area.
Food is not cheaper either for the same quality i.e. comparable (when not the same) supermarket chain.
Add the higher avg. salary in MA and you get the picture.
Florida has no income state tax, however other things are far more expensive. Just to give you an idea, I pay about $ 1,000 / year more down here for auto insurance. Same car and coverage.
I relocated to Miami 2 years ago for a job and I too want to move.
I find Miami to be completely overrated. With it's vast swaths of cheesy-looking housing and strip malls literally EVERYWHERE... It's utterly mundane and rather boring.

Of course the beaches are beautiful. The water phenomenal. But for a busy working professional it's rare to actually enjoy those beaches. I do however, try and get to the FL keys as much as I can and really enjoy that. They are really beautiful. But Miami is very meh to me. I would move in a heartbeat/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 08:41 AM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabi0 View Post
I fly frequently to Bogota, and when it takes less than 3 hours, it is because of DST (Daylight saving time). Colombia does not use DST, so it takes say 2h30 minutes to go there, and about 4h 30min to come back.
An airplane is not like a switch (on / off), it has to accelerate (from 0 mph) to cruising speed and decelerate (to about 140 mph) to land.
It does not follow a straight line either, but several line segments, especially during take off and approach to land.
Thanks for the info. The poster you were responding to is big on exaggeration.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:43 AM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I relocated to Miami 2 years ago for a job and I too want to move.
I find Miami to be completely overrated. With it's vast swaths of cheesy-looking housing and strip malls literally EVERYWHERE... It's utterly mundane and rather boring.

Of course the beaches are beautiful. The water phenomenal. But for a busy working professional it's rare to actually enjoy those beaches. I do however, try and get to the FL keys as much as I can and really enjoy that. They are really beautiful. But Miami is very meh to me. I would move in a heartbeat/
Optimus: I thought you were from So. Fla. Where did you relocate from?

Fabi0: Thanks for replying. Ok, Boston certainly isn't cheap either.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:23 AM

28 posts, read 23,494 times
I'd love it if I had the money

Old 02-03-2016, 10:22 AM

426 posts, read 393,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
As I said, it's on you. You made the choice to not assimilate, complain, complain, and complain. I am not surprised you are having trouble with your love life. Personally, I had no problem dating in Florida. I dated very beautiful women and had meaningful relationships. I eventually met my wife and we have 2 children together now. I live very comfortably, I enjoy the water, even fly airplanes. And don't tell me it's because we don't understand, there were a TON of Caribbean people learning to fly when I was learning and enjoying it immensely. Heck, I have a friend with a flight school in the Bahamas.

I can't relate to anything you are saying, at all. But I know people just like you. You take absolutely not a shred of ownership for your life not working out. It can't possibly be you... it's Miami, it's the stupid girls here, it's this, it's you know, Europeans or something... nobody understand the "Caribbean Lifestyle"... blah blah blah. Quite frankly, you are insulting Caribbean people.

You seem very obsessed with women and dating. Has it occurred to you that maybe you aren't putting out a product that women want? With your negative attitude and the way you type here, it seems that way. Don't take that as an insult or anything, but you need to look in the mirror and do something better with your life and stop blaming everyone (and everyplace) for your issues.

By all means, go back to DR, sounds like a blast. You aren't happy here. You should go.

There was this Jewish barman from New York that worked at the bar of the Omni, back then everything was entirely new and fantastic. He was a philosopher. He was always saying that "Miami is the place were nobody wanted to be". He went to explain that as the city was at the end of the strainer or maze, received many strange people like himself looking for a "new frontier" that were professional bashers and kvetchers.

He said that he loved Miami, but he knew that eventualy B.S would start to pile and he would end hating the place. He said that he just came from Phoenix, he described the city as a new version of the third reich.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:48 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodill View Post
There was this Jewish barman from New York that worked at the bar of the Omni, back then everything was entirely new and fantastic. He was a philosopher. He was always saying that "Miami is the place were nobody wanted to be". He went to explain that as the city was at the end of the strainer or maze, received many strange people like himself looking for a "new frontier" that were professional bashers and kvetchers.

He said that he loved Miami, but he knew that eventualy B.S would start to pile and he would end hating the place. He said that he just came from Phoenix, he described the city as a new version of the third reich.
Sounds like this barman is a fan of hyperbole...

Old 02-05-2016, 12:00 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
Sounds like this barman is a fan of hyperbole...
No doubt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami