Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 05:25 AM

68 posts, read 97,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
haha u should practically be banned for the wrong information you give. We're trying to help this person here...not lie to them and tell them Miami has this and that when it actually doesn't.

Do a quick search on zillow for a home by the water for $150K..... Nothing. The best one is going to do for that price is a 800 foot 2 bedroom apartment in some dumpy apartment building from 1965 on west Flagler.... no, thanks.
Quote:
OP, allow me to be blunt and honest with you.
Miami is the most unhippie/unbohemian city I've ever been to. There is quite literally NO hippie scene here, like out in California/Oregon... It's not a place known for it's progressive politics, green-living, etc... There's really no cute little alternative towns with holistic shops, organic eating, counter-culture styles.

Also, Miami is very fast-paced and hectic. Miami culture is definitely an "all about me" culture. The culture IMO is one of clones. . Desinger (often tacky) clothes, big cars, flashy stuff, shopping, dining out, and just generally living beyond your means is the norm. Not that everyone does that, but there's a pervasive culture of that. ... the person living in the hood with a cheap honda civic, only to be wearing a Hermes belt and a loius Vuitton hand-bag..

Anyway, perhaps towns north like Deerfield or Delray Bch might have a bit more of what you're looking for, but overall, there's not much of a hippe/granola culture in south FL
I think you should be banned if you're going to throw around bans like that! At least the other poster substantiated his claim, which I agree with btw, although I don't think it can be as easy for an out of towner to find those deals as maybe a local.

And you're dead wrong about there being no place with the kind of lifestyle they are looking for - Coconut grove definitely comes to mind as a place that resembles what she wants, not to mention some of those qualities are found in the palmettobay/maybe deep suburban west Kendall (I'm thinking horse country). Now, the ony thing is - those areas are not cheap. So it would take some real digging to find a good deal, if any exist, but that's a different matter.

My advice? Explore the redlands. You may be able to find something in the outer suburbs for that cheap and the redlands can be a bohemian, green living kind of place. It's certainly very eclectic and much unlike the more fast pace of the city, but close enough that you're not too far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 06:04 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,865,706 times
Try Ft. Pierce. Its a changing town.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:21 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
South Florida is not Asheville, NC
Thank God! Asheville is awesome and my suggestion for the OP. S Fla is not the place.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:22 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,130 times
You would absolutely hate Miami. It is the opposite of everything you're looking for. There is nothing hippie or really even hipster about Miami at all. Yes, there is some organic and yoga stuff for the mega wealthy, but it's meant to be a trend, and expensive, not for the reasons you're likely into it. Ft. Lauderdale on the other hand will have a bit more of what you're looking for, with some job opportunities and in some places more affordable living.

Miami culturally is pretty much the opposite of Portland, OR, and it sounds like you're looking for Portland with palm trees. The Lower Keys would fit that a little bit, but the prices are sky-high and there are almost no jobs here to support the real estate costs, plus the average age is like 55.

Have you seen Florida on the news in the last few years? It is not known for young, liberal, issue-conscious people. I wish it were, but it's not. There is a reason Rick Scott is the governor of FL, and that Marco Rubio comes from Miami. They're popular in Miami because there are a lot of people who think just like they do. Miami is extremely materialistic, full of traffic, fairly fast-paced, and the most conservative major city I've ever lived in - it's not at all hippie friendly.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:34 AM

72 posts, read 76,869 times
You will be miserable here.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:06 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,105 times
Coconut Grove would be the closest place to fit your bill in Miami with the exception of price. It is expensive to live there, overpriced in my opinion.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:21 PM

387 posts, read 356,292 times
Quote:
haha u should practically be banned for the wrong information you give. We're trying to help this person here...not lie to them and tell them Miami has this and that when it actually doesn't.

Do a quick search on zillow for a home by the water for $150K..... Nothing. The best one is going to do for that price is a 800 foot 2 bedroom apartment in some dumpy apartment building from 1965 on west Flagler.... no, thanks.
For homes sure....but your can find plenty of condos for 130-200k.....The OP specifically said condos so that is what she is looking for.....For a generally expensive city Miami has some surprisingly affordable condos even in nice areas......

Old 01-24-2016, 06:01 PM

393 posts, read 360,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
You would absolutely hate Miami. It is the opposite of everything you're looking for. There is nothing hippie or really even hipster about Miami at all. Yes, there is some organic and yoga stuff for the mega wealthy, but it's meant to be a trend, and expensive, not for the reasons you're likely into it. Ft. Lauderdale on the other hand will have a bit more of what you're looking for, with some job opportunities and in some places more affordable living.

Miami culturally is pretty much the opposite of Portland, OR, and it sounds like you're looking for Portland with palm trees. The Lower Keys would fit that a little bit, but the prices are sky-high and there are almost no jobs here to support the real estate costs, plus the average age is like 55.

Have you seen Florida on the news in the last few years? It is not known for young, liberal, issue-conscious people. I wish it were, but it's not. There is a reason Rick Scott is the governor of FL, and that Marco Rubio comes from Miami. They're popular in Miami because there are a lot of people who think just like they do. Miami is extremely materialistic, full of traffic, fairly fast-paced, and the most conservative major city I've ever lived in - it's not at all hippie friendly.
Exactly

but Portland is undergoing a major influx of people and is getting very, very expensive. They wrote an article about it on CNBC

but probably more what you are looking for

although it is still a bit white-supremacistish, in parts that will change as more outsiders move in

Old 01-25-2016, 01:44 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
Sonoma area of California

All kinds of little hippie towns.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,665 times
Thanks guys, this has helped a lot. Very appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami