Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 05:57 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,864,725 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have information on the purposed mall to be built near the new hospital at the western edge of Kendall drive? I see the signs for leasing restaurant space but no activity on building anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 10:38 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
The last thing West Kendall needs is more traffic.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:31 PM

823 posts, read 1,125,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
The last thing West Kendall needs is more traffic.
True, but on the other hand, a mall all the way at the end of 88th would keep a lot of people from heading east to do their shopping and eating. It could actually improve traffic a little. (I doubt it, but it's possible)

Old 02-16-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
True, but on the other hand, a mall all the way at the end of 88th would keep a lot of people from heading east to do their shopping and eating. It could actually improve traffic a little. (I doubt it, but it's possible)
But the problem is not those people doing their shopping and eating. It's commuters.

Maybe the should move some offices there. Imagine that. You will fix the traffic in Doral, Downtown and Kendall all at the same time. Build a new expressway around 137-157 ave

Old 02-21-2016, 12:45 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,897,831 times
There is an office building being built next to the assisted living center. There is also construction in the western part of the parking lot of the hospital. Not sure what they're doing there. Directly north of the hospital they are starting construction as well and I think it's for apartments. Nothing so far as far as entertainment/shopping. That part is owned by the Howard Hughes corp. The town center is still listed on their website so maybe they still have plans. The county was also interested in the area for some government buildings.

The traffic here is commuters and ALSO shoppers and eaters. I had to go to Kendall Town & Country or whatever it's called now on Friday night and the traffic was gridlocked. It was so bad at the corner where the shopping center is that cars were backed up into the intersection, blocking the other sides' right of way. There were at least 50 cars honking their horns. This happened through two sets of light changes and probably beyond. People are starved for entertainment out in the burbs. I've never seen it so bad. I can't imagine what next Christmas season has in store if this was on a regular, no holiday shopping weekend.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:52 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
There is an office building being built next to the assisted living center. There is also construction in the western part of the parking lot of the hospital. Not sure what they're doing there. Directly north of the hospital they are starting construction as well and I think it's for apartments. Nothing so far as far as entertainment/shopping. That part is owned by the Howard Hughes corp. The town center is still listed on their website so maybe they still have plans. The county was also interested in the area for some government buildings.

The traffic here is commuters and ALSO shoppers and eaters. I had to go to Kendall Town & Country or whatever it's called now on Friday night and the traffic was gridlocked. It was so bad at the corner where the shopping center is that cars were backed up into the intersection, blocking the other sides' right of way. There were at least 50 cars honking their horns. This happened through two sets of light changes and probably beyond. People are starved for entertainment out in the burbs. I've never seen it so bad. I can't imagine what next Christmas season has in store if this was on a regular, no holiday shopping weekend.
I guess people in West Kendall go stir crazy having to live stacked up and packed in like sardines. There was a time that living in the suburbs meant staying home and shopping centers had family entertainment. Today funny money is thrown at property, bidding up prices to the stratosphere, so developers increase density to make a profit. You get density without the benefits of being in a real city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFk5y5C82tk

Old 02-21-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I guess people in West Kendall go stir crazy having to live stacked up and packed in like sardines. There was a time that living in the suburbs meant staying home and shopping centers had family entertainment. Today funny money is thrown at property, bidding up prices to the stratosphere, so developers increase density to make a profit. You get density without the benefits of being in a real city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFk5y5C82tk
LOL

It's only gonna get worse because they are building apartments everywhere. I don't know who rents in those places, I think the rent prices start at 1,600. For an apartment!!!! Really?!

We really need public transportation. It might not be used by some people but anything that can reduce the number or cars on the roads will be a blessing. It doesn't take that long to build it, I am from Medellin, Colombia and if they can build a metro there with their limited resources, we can do it here too. It's not the 80's anymore. We have more population density, younger people are more open to use public transportation. People need to stop thinking it will be a failure. We need to fix this traffic problem.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:11 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslhomie View Post
Does anyone have information on the purposed mall to be built near the new hospital at the western edge of Kendall drive? I see the signs for leasing restaurant space but no activity on building anything.
The economic collapse of 2008 put a halt on the project and now the possibility of a 2016/17 economic collapse could halt it even further.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:53 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,897,831 times
Miami suburbs aren't like other areas of the country. Here it means MORE traffic, not less. Most areas of the country when you get out to the suburbs it's a lot quieter and less people. Doesn't work that way here.

About the apartments. Plenty of people rent them. I don't know how they afford them. Maybe they have multiple people living in each one, making the traffic even worse. My son was on a waiting list for the place he moved to. He was only able to get it because someone subleased. Most complexes are full or almost full. You can tell when you get home late and can't find a place to park!

Old 02-23-2016, 06:31 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
How many malls in enough?
How many shopping plazas does south Florida actually need?

West Kendall does not need another store or mall.

We need more parks, more bike paths, more open space, more dog parks, more usable public space to just enjoy. Not another mall. Please god...why? why??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami