Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 09:36 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,751,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I think OptimusPrime69 is correct that people hate it due to it's overly latin culture. I don't see anything wrong with disliking it for that reason, though.
I agree with that. I'm Hispanic, and whenever I see white people in Miami I think, how do they cope with living in such an overly-Hispanic city? I don't know how they do it. What is the appeal of Miami to these people? Not that there's anything wrong with them being here. I'm happy that they're here. But I'm curious, why do they choose to live in this city instead of, say, anyplace in Broward?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 09:58 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,386,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
I agree with that. I'm Hispanic, and whenever I see white people in Miami I think, how do they cope with living in such an overly-Hispanic city? I don't know how they do it. What is the appeal of Miami to these people? Not that there's anything wrong with them being here. I'm happy that they're here. But I'm curious, why do they choose to live in this city instead of, say, anyplace in Broward?
Because Broward County is boring. From a non-Hispanic white guy who could easily live in Miami, but has minimal interest in Broward and most other parts of Florida. Actually, Broward would be my second choice within Florida.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:27 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,677,995 times
I think Broward strikes that balance.... you've certainly got diversity within the county culturally, however it does not feel completely Hispanic...or completely gringo or completely one way or the other. There's actual diversity.... Miami is like a Latin city and that's it. And for many, that is a huge appeal. For others? Not so much. It al depends, but the good thing about Broward is if you want the feel of Latin city, you drive 20 to 30 mins down the road and you've got it.....if u dont want it then dont go to Miami. Simple.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:19 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,959,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
I was in Miami this weekend and loved it despite the horrible drivers, traffic and rude people. I am sure that many people think it is a crap hole compared to other cities that are more quaint and conservative.

What is your perspective on this matter?
It depends on your culture. If you are some conservative there is no reason to like Miami. There are plenty of places to choose from in this state like small coastal towns if you are retired or work from home. Of course the main issue is usually jobs so most people have to live close to big cities. Conservatives can live in some suburbs like Northern Tampa, Jacksonville and some areas of Orlando.

If you are a liberal, I definetely would only consider South Florida or Orlando. Maybe St Pete if you are really desperate.

Of course part of the reason why so many people don't like Miami is because there are too many hispanics here. Some don't even speak fluent English. Some non-hispanics get frustrated with the language barrier. Others, many who have never even lived in Miami, enjoy putting down other ethnic or racial groups. It probably makes them feel better about themselves. That's just human nature.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:53 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,726,118 times
I know a few people who left Miami for Jacksonville, Tallahassee and Ocala. They tell me that most of their friends have a poor view of Miami. Since Miami is one of the mist predictable areas of Florida, it can be boring to those of us born and raised there. The "Hispanic" culture at times is frustrating, but it is not the reason why Miami is third world. Many Spanish speaking people, even the poor from central America are honest and hard working, but since Miami was built on funny money from prohibition to the cocaine cowboy era, and now to Fed free money "investments" the area has the largest divide between rich and poor with the lowest opportunities for innovators. Even I do not hate Miami but I hate the trajectory it has been on since the 1970's. The end result will be disaster but in the meantime the ignorant go for the ride and hope to get rich before Miami returns to its roots.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:37 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,892,569 times
Why would anybody living in Miami care what someone outside of Miami thinks?

Old 02-23-2016, 02:00 PM

22,299 posts, read 29,361,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post

Mostly for one because we were born here way before it became over-hispanic. At least that's my case and because it's what I know

Old 02-23-2016, 02:19 PM

27,105 posts, read 43,780,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Usually it's the central and northern Floridians that hate on Miami. "too much traffic" "it's north cuba" "It's a 3rd world country" and on and on . . . . when in reality, Miami makes them uncomfortable because culturally it's not white or "american" feeling to them. That's the real reason they hate on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I think OptimusPrime69 is correct that people hate it due to it's overly latin culture. I don't see anything wrong with disliking it for that reason, though. It has a culture that is unique to itself and different from other places. People have preferences and it's all good. There is no doubt that much of Miami is dirtier and more 3rd world feeling than it's neighbors. It has it's stunning areas, of course, but a much more stark contrast between the good and bad.
Much of the rest of the state has that view of Miami and find the racism is more or less unique to the Cuban and Puerto Rican cultures. Interestingly enough one doesn't hear that griping about other ethnicities who have settled elsewhere (i.e. Asian or Eastern European) so not sure if it's a Florida thing in terms of lack of tolerance for other cultures or in fact solely anti-Hispanic. Either way it's ignorant and speaks to a certain level of education (or lack thereof) this state is becoming a bastion for. It's not a good direction and certainly sets the tone for keeping many well-educated and tolerant individuals from wanting to move here.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:21 PM

27,105 posts, read 43,780,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
It depends on your culture. If you are some conservative there is no reason to like Miami. There are plenty of places to choose from in this state like small coastal towns if you are retired or work from home. Of course the main issue is usually jobs so most people have to live close to big cities. Conservatives can live in some suburbs like Northern Tampa, Jacksonville and some areas of Orlando.

If you are a liberal, I definetely would only consider South Florida or Orlando. Maybe St Pete if you are really desperate.

Of course part of the reason why so many people don't like Miami is because there are too many hispanics here. Some don't even speak fluent English. Some non-hispanics get frustrated with the language barrier. Others, many who have never even lived in Miami, enjoy putting down other ethnic or racial groups. It probably makes them feel better about themselves. That's just human nature.
St Pete beats the pants off of Orlando, which has become majority-minority with a good deal of "angry white men". One doesn't get that feeling in St Pete.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:48 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,610,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Why would anybody living in Miami care what someone outside of Miami thinks?
I certainly don't! Miami-Dade county is one of America's most unique metros. The only hate I think Miami gets is from the crazies in Government from Tallahassee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami