Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 09:53 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
You won't find good Chinese in South Florida other.
not true. There is a AMAZING and I mean AMAZING place in Coconut Grove, on Grand Ave and Mary (I think thats the street the Elementary school is on). It is inside the bodega. The owners are I think Japanese and Chinese or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 06:14 PM

874 posts, read 899,259 times
Has no one else in this discussion been to Black Brick? Seriously, you all need to try it.

Menu

Old 03-06-2016, 07:26 PM

29 posts, read 66,283 times
haha thanks guys, but I wasn't really just talking about food, i just gave that as an example. it could be anything that was different from your hometown.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:50 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickques View Post
haha thanks guys, but I wasn't really just talking about food, i just gave that as an example. it could be anything that was different from your hometown.
Water from tha faucet is often light yellow. But that's normal.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:20 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Quote:
That's not normal!

Old 03-06-2016, 08:22 PM

892 posts, read 859,006 times
Los Angeles <-> Miami

Traffic is better here, but getting on/off Miami Beach is atrocious, Miami-Dade is no walk in the park but Miami-Dade is small, by the time you get to Broward and especially Palm Beach it's a lot better. The express lanes help a lot. There is no such help in LA, traffic there just stops and stays that way, everywhere.

Traffic maybe better, but the drivers here are more aggressive, abide by the rules far less. One thing I especially noticed is lack of courtesy for pedestrians, in places like Santa Monica you hop in front of a car and they'll come to a stop and apologize for nearly hitting you. Here, they will honk at you even though the light is green for you and red for them - just because they're so accustomed to driving through a red.

Everything is so green here, and so brown in LA. I forgot just how different it is and then I return to LA - brown, brown, brown everywhere. Dusty cars. Eh.

Warm nights, I'm starting to get acclimated though. What once would be lovely - now goes the light jacket. Back in LA, I freeze even as late as April.

Azul waters - water color only fit for a postcard. Clear warm waters - no more of that ice cold, murky and brownish-blue LA pacific water.

Water out of the tap tastes so much better here! In LA it was always sparkling water, here everytime I get lazy to go to my kitchen and grab a Pellegrino, I drink from my bathroom tap. And it tastes fine, not like it was recycled 50 million times.

Rain that you like. Thunderstorms. I still get scared, and I move from my balcony windows to an interior part of my place hoping the lightning won't kill me When it catches me out on my boat though, maybe I won't list it as a positive

Living in a high-rise condominium. In LA if you want a view, live in the hills. Here there are man-made hills with even better views and I'm writing from one of them

I eat less burritos/tacos/pho/Bulgogi and I eat more empanadas/arepas/ceviche/pizza by the slize/cuban sandwhiches (not the ones with ham but the huge variety with cuban bread)

Taking a nap, waking up and going out at 3am. LA fix your late call.

Feels smaller. At the end of the day Miami feels smaller, I sort of view it like a nice small city.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:31 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Los Angeles <-> Miami

Traffic is better here, but getting on/off Miami Beach is atrocious, Miami-Dade is no walk in the park but Miami-Dade is small, by the time you get to Broward and especially Palm Beach it's a lot better. The express lanes help a lot. There is no such help in LA, traffic there just stops and stays that way, everywhere.

Traffic maybe better, but the drivers here are more aggressive, abide by the rules far less. One thing I especially noticed is lack of courtesy for pedestrians, in places like Santa Monica you hop in front of a car and they'll come to a stop and apologize for nearly hitting you. Here, they will honk at you even though the light is green for you and red for them - just because they're so accustomed to driving through a red.

Everything is so green here, and so brown in LA. I forgot just how different it is and then I return to LA - brown, brown, brown everywhere. Dusty cars. Eh.

Warm nights, I'm starting to get acclimated though. What once would be lovely - now goes the light jacket. Back in LA, I freeze even as late as April.

Azul waters - water color only fit for a postcard. Clear warm waters - no more of that ice cold, murky and brownish-blue LA pacific water.

Water out of the tap tastes so much better here! In LA it was always sparkling water, here everytime I get lazy to go to my kitchen and grab a Pellegrino, I drink from my bathroom tap. And it tastes fine, not like it was recycled 50 million times.

Rain that you like. Thunderstorms. I still get scared, and I move from my balcony windows to an interior part of my place hoping the lightning won't kill me When it catches me out on my boat though, maybe I won't list it as a positive

Living in a high-rise condominium. In LA if you want a view, live in the hills. Here there are man-made hills with even better views and I'm writing from one of them

I eat less burritos/tacos/pho/Bulgogi and I eat more empanadas/arepas/ceviche/pizza by the slize/cuban sandwhiches (not the ones with ham but the huge variety with cuban bread)

Taking a nap, waking up and going out at 3am. LA fix your late call.

Feels smaller. At the end of the day Miami feels smaller, I sort of view it like a nice small city.
Thanks for these comparisons. I have to agree, especially about the traffic! I have had my share of making new neighbors on the 405 and I-5!!!!!! Love Santa Monica, Laguna, San Diego and La Jolla. However, I'm looking forward to being able to enjoy the water at the beach again.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:24 AM

29 posts, read 66,283 times
Quote:

Old 03-07-2016, 07:52 AM

72 posts, read 76,844 times
We moved here in August from the Hartford, CT area. Before that we lived in Birmingham, AL and San Antonio, TX. Traffic is really bad here, especially during the busy hours. Drivers are aggressive, but more than aggressive they tend to be just really thoughtless and many are on their phones. Get used to panhandlers on most corners. They will walk right up to your car and hold their signs in your windows. Also the homeless on/under the bus benches. People are overall not particularly friendly. There are beautiful beaches though and we get to hem every chance we get.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:06 PM

892 posts, read 859,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
Has no one else in this discussion been to Black Brick? Seriously, you all need to try it.

Menu
I was running some errands in Miami proper today, and I looked up Black Brick thanks to your recommendation - with it being just off the 195 on the way back to the Beach I decided to try it.

I ordered the spicy mala chicken and the pork-shrimp Hong Kong style soup. I was imagining all the servings would be small since everything was so cheaply priced.

Man they were huge! I'm in a food coma right now. I also enjoyed the food, it's a great alternate to Hakkasan and Mr. Chows when you want something more low-key and of the every man. I loved their appetizers they brought out - the flakey dough, fried in some sauce. Never had that before at any Chinese restaurant but I liked it.

All in all, a net positive. Thanks for the heads up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami