Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 04:54 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
If you're around at the right time and you enjoy mangoes, Fairchild's Mango Festival is in July. It's hot and busy, but people from around the world come to it. You can taste many rare varieties of mangoes, eat everything you could possibly imagine could be made with mango (and other things like chocolate), and also buy fruit and fruit trees. If you're looking for things unique to Miami, that is definitely one of them. Homestead/Florida City and West Kendall areas are where you can find a lot of the agricultural business, with many farms and nurseries dedicated to tropical fruit. To escape the crowds but learn about the kinds of fruit here (and get to taste test rare fruits and ice cream), take a free tour at Fruit & Spice Park the same weekend everybody else is at MangoFest.
Great festival. Fairchild's International Mango Festival is the second weekend in July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 06:10 PM

874 posts, read 900,101 times
I recently made a list of recommendations for a friend coming down from DC.

- Everglades are not close, but it's good to fit a little nature into your trip. But July will be hot and most of the critters will be hiding.
- Wynwood arts district. Go and wander around during the day, or enjoy the nightlife. Great restaurants and bars, and tons of really interesting murals.
-Coral Gables Unique venetian pool, fed by groundwater. Also the elegance of the Biltmore hotel. Even if you don't want to stay there, go and have lunch, or enjoy the weekly Tango Class (Alma de Tango)
- South Beach fun architecture and fabulous people watching.
- Calle 8 there's a lot of cultural stuff along here. Also, great Cuban restaurants. I prefer people watching at Versailles but the food at La Carreta.
- Have drinks or dinner at a rooftop bar in Brickell or South Beach. It won't be cheap, but it may be magical.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:33 PM

892 posts, read 859,928 times
On the subject of festivals, Mercedes Benz Swimsuit Fashion week is in July (Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Miami | MiamiandBeaches.com). The Mango festival sounds cool though, never been so I might just go check it out.

I'd suggest in July you take advantage of our water activities. I don't mean just laying on the beach and swimming, but diving the reefs and going fishing. You can even rent a boat and go leisurely lounge on the bay, people watching (their boats). To me that might give you a taste of Miami lifestyle - I know you want to move here if I remember right.

A lot of people on this board probably told you to come during July because it's hotter, but there is an upside of July, it's quieter. Parking, traffic, prices, are all way down from March or December (our peaks). March is probably the busiest with Spring Break, Calle Ocho, Ultra, Winter Music Conference, Funkshion Fashion Week etc

July is best spent on the water, March best spent in the city.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:19 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
- Everglades are not close, but it's good to fit a little nature into your trip. But July will be hot and most of the critters will be hiding.
Not the mosquitoes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post

July is best spent on the water, March best spent in the city.
Agreed.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:22 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I love mangos so that festival sounds perfect. My price point is around $250 a night. Again, we don't have to be on the beach (it is preferred, though) but a 2-5 minute walk is fine or a 30 minute drive. I like the suggestions to rent a boat and to snorkel. I also want to check out the art district, business district and the art deco along south beach. My new concern is being able to get it all in! And, for the record, I'm a huge fan of Cuban food!

I expect it to be hot, but I actually enjoy the heat (hence, living in Phoenix!). Mosquitoes will take some getting used to again, but my Avon "Skin so Soft" should help with that.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:58 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Unless you will spend most of your time in South Beach and Brickell, you probably want to rent a car to get to places like Venetian Pool and south Dade/Everglades, as it's a bit far for an Uber ride. One thing to keep in mind if you rent a car is parking and the traffic in the immediate vicinity of the hotel. Many places don't include parking and, in fact, only have valet parking at the hotel. Getting in and out of Brickell and the tourist part of South Beach with a car can be a pain. This can be a hassle if you're making multiple trips a day! One place I know of that's relatively central and easy (though not free) parking is the Coral Gables Holiday Inn across from UM.

FYI, I tend to tell people go to Ocean Drive if you want to see the place, but don't eat or drink there as there are plenty of better alternatives--even just up on Lincoln Road.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:20 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
Here is a link to more information about Fairchild Tropical Garden's Mango Festival.24th Annual International Mango Festival

Old 03-07-2016, 06:13 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
There is a number on the MangoFest website that you can call to ask about parking when it gets close to the event. Often it gets so full people have to start parking on green spaces along the road on the way in. Just make sure you're doing it right so you don't get a ticket or tow. There is also availability for special arrangements for disabled visitors so you don't have to park a mile away.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:57 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Ok, I have been researching a few hotels there amd need your opinions. Please feel free to chime in if you ever stayed in one of them.
1. L Hotel Miami Beach
2. The Mimosa (condo rental)
3. The Hall, a Joie de Vivre hotel
4. San Juan Hotel
5. Hilton Garden Inn South Beach
6. The President Hotel Miami Beach

Old 03-09-2016, 04:45 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
check out The Gale....nicer than The Hall, should have deals in July--especially on a stay of 3 nights or more. I also like The Redbury (check their site for specials--also gives you access to facilities at their sister Raleigh and free/no wait admittance at SLS Hotel).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami