Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2016, 08:53 PM

6 posts, read 5,086 times

Advertisements

Hi! This is my first post so I apologize in advance if its too long. My hubby and I are both from different parts of FL, have been living in Denver Colorado for the past four years, and are looking to move closer to our families. My company has a small office in downtown Miami and have offered to let me work there, so we are planning a move to the Miami area as soon as our lease ends. Despite both of us being Floridians we have never been to Miami and a month into my apartment search I am feeling incredibly overwhelmed.
Here are a few things about us:
I will be keeping my salary but my husband is an EMT and will be enrolling in paramedic school once we get situated so we are relying on my income only. Therefore our max budget is a FIRM $1400/month. I will be working from home 1-2 days/wk so I will need a 2br apartment, but can tolerate a longer commute. We are both 26, have no kids, but have a 15lb dog. We also do not intend to visit the area first, we plan to lease something online (friends/family in the area can vet it for us).
I have friends who highly recommend Miami Lakes and it is right in our budget. However, the proximity of Hileah scares me. Is Miami Lakes a safe, middle-class neighborhood?
I love Fort Lauderdale area but I am not sure how realistic the commute is and what the affordable, safe neighborhoods are.
If you have any suggestions on where to find a safe, pet friendly 2br apartment for under $1400/month please let me know! And if you have general advice about living in Miami (activities, parking/tolls, the language barrier etc.) please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 09:28 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb07m View Post
Hi! This is my first post so I apologize in advance if its too long. My hubby and I are both from different parts of FL, have been living in Denver Colorado for the past four years, and are looking to move closer to our families. My company has a small office in downtown Miami and have offered to let me work there, so we are planning a move to the Miami area as soon as our lease ends. Despite both of us being Floridians we have never been to Miami and a month into my apartment search I am feeling incredibly overwhelmed.
Here are a few things about us:
I will be keeping my salary but my husband is an EMT and will be enrolling in paramedic school once we get situated so we are relying on my income only. Therefore our max budget is a FIRM $1400/month. I will be working from home 1-2 days/wk so I will need a 2br apartment, but can tolerate a longer commute. We are both 26, have no kids, but have a 15lb dog. We also do not intend to visit the area first, we plan to lease something online (friends/family in the area can vet it for us).
I have friends who highly recommend Miami Lakes and it is right in our budget. However, the proximity of Hileah scares me. Is Miami Lakes a safe, middle-class neighborhood?
I love Fort Lauderdale area but I am not sure how realistic the commute is and what the affordable, safe neighborhoods are.
If you have any suggestions on where to find a safe, pet friendly 2br apartment for under $1400/month please let me know! And if you have general advice about living in Miami (activities, parking/tolls, the language barrier etc.) please let me know.
Miami Lakes is very nice, and Hialeah is not a bad place.

Opa Locka on the other hand...

Old 03-11-2016, 09:45 PM

Thank you! What is Opa Locka? Also, do you know what the commute into downtown Miami would be like from Miami Lakes?

Old 03-12-2016, 12:56 AM

167 posts, read 246,409 times
Opa locka is a ghetto suburb for the most part. But you don't really have to worry about living adjacent to a not really nice city unless you're living right on the border.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:47 AM

874 posts, read 899,259 times
Miami has some of the highest rental rates in the country, particularly when compared with average salary. It will be very difficult to find a safe, pet friendly 2br apartment for under $1400/month. Even for a 1 bedroom, that's kind of a minimum budget in a lot of areas. You might want to consider 1 bedrooms that are in buildings that have a business center that you can use to telecommute.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:06 AM

Hi everybody, thank you for your input. After weighing the pros and cons of moving to Miami, we have decided against it.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:42 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb07m View Post
Hi everybody, thank you for your input. After weighing the pros and cons of moving to Miami, we have decided against it.
If you change your mind - Miami Lakes is an upscale community that is well buffered from the less desirable areas of both Hialeah and Opa Locka. However, the drive downtown is a b*tch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami