Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 08:15 PM

892 posts, read 858,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
Miami isn't a city that works well for everyone. You're constantly immersed in international culture, and you need to have a thick skin and adventurous spirit. Consider staying for a few days in downtown... that way you'll understand how life really is here. Visiting the beach is about as similar to living in Miami as escarole is to spinach, each have their merits, but they don't have much in common.
What does this even mean? I live on the beach, 100k people live at the beach. I doubt even 40k live downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 08:21 PM

892 posts, read 858,874 times
Anyways, just came from the Hamel fashion show, part of Funkshion. Obviously there is a ton to do with with Miami Music Week (MMW), Ultra and upcoming Winter Music Conference, but even now, there are plenty of events besides those.

I cannot think of any city besides NYC, LA and perhaps San Francisco that has as much as Miami has going on at any given time.

I mean what more can you ask from in a city?

Non-stop events? Check.
Great Restaurants? Check.
World Class Nightlife? Check?
Major Sports Scene? Check?
Unlimited water recreational activities? Check.
Great Weather? Check.
Beautiful Beaches? Check.
Thriving International Culture? Check.

Try to find those checkpoints fulfilled in a place like Austin, Atlanta, or the Birmingham suburbs.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:04 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,006,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Entertainment value, yes. But quality of life....... No. I highly disagree.
LOL at someone who lives in Orlando, has previously had their house foreclosed on and filed bankruptcy, complaining about the quality of life in Miami.

Yeah, I'm sure you're an expert on how to live well in Miami.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:22 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,318,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
--major issues with large numbers of homeless people, who think it's fine to live on the street wherever they want.
Yes, they should really just go home.

Oh. Wait.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:23 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Miami is a beautiful tropical city, however very expensive as it has gone through 2 building booms in a decade as foreign investments on condominiums has raised prices as the cost of living is very high. You will want to make a visit to Miami as a necessity and see how you like it. Personally, I love visiting Miami, living there is quite something different as it is fast-paced and high energy, traffic is a nightmare and the humidity is oppressive. We have the cleanest air for a big city as there are nice ocean breezes from the Caribbean that blows the pollutants away. Good luck, there are positive people who can give you more information.
This was also my assessment of Miami. Great if you have a lot of money and can afford to live in the close-in, trendy areas....not so great for the majority of people. It's not there yet, but it looks like it's going in the direction of coastal California in terms of cost of living. As far as traffic goes, it's as bad as CA.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:28 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Have you lived in Miami to disagree?
No but I'm a south FL native. I don't need to live there to know the quality of life there sucks. Glad you like it tho.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKeepMoving View Post
Do not come to Miami. While not as warm overall or tropical, I would suggest Austin, TX, Birmingham (suburbs), Alabama, or Atlanta and surrounding GA.
I agree fully. Also check out the Carolinas. Look into Charlotte and Raleigh if you want big cities. The men's will probably be too cold for you, since you're looking for "warm."

Old 03-19-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Anyways, just came from the Hamel fashion show, part of Funkshion. Obviously there is a ton to do with with Miami Music Week (MMW), Ultra and upcoming Winter Music Conference, but even now, there are plenty of events besides those.

I cannot think of any city besides NYC, LA and perhaps San Francisco that has as much as Miami has going on at any given time.

I mean what more can you ask from in a city?

Non-stop events? Check.
Great Restaurants? Check.
World Class Nightlife? Check?
Major Sports Scene? Check?
Unlimited water recreational activities? Check.
Great Weather? Check.
Beautiful Beaches? Check.
Thriving International Culture? Check.

Try to find those checkpoints fulfilled in a place like Austin, Atlanta, or the Birmingham suburbs.

But this international vibe n culture u love doesn't mean anything to many. The beaches are great and the options are too, but many ppl don't care about that stuff. Rare food at restaurants or shopping g is fine but it's not that important to many ppl. Great weather is highly subjective. I think south FL weather is oppressive for more months than not honestly. But that's a lot of Fal. But down there you may see 85 degrees for weeks on end in January. **** gets old. And fashion shows and Calle Ocho is also not some hing many ppl may be interested in.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
LOL at someone who lives in Orlando, has previously had their house foreclosed on and filed bankruptcy, complaining about the quality of life in Miami.

Yeah, I'm sure you're an expert on how to live well in Miami.
I never said Orlando was great.

Don't care how to live well in Miami honestly. Wouldn't want to. And I chose to leave the house I didn't get foreclosed on. I chose to let it foreclose and then filed so I wouldn't have to pay a deficiency. It was a wise thing to do, just like many other homeowners did in 2007-2010. Don't apologize for it, not ashamed of it either. Yawn.

i make a decent living and would do it again if faced with Unemployment and a neighborhood going to ****.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:33 PM

471 posts, read 620,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovtravel View Post
I live in Omaha Nebraska....but dream of living in a big warm city. My dream will not come true anytime soon because my son loves his school, my husband and I have good jobs....long story short I day dream about this daily. Maybe if I heard the realistic side of living in a big city it would help me face it. What are the cons and pros?
Cons...
Cost of living (Housing only)
Road rage.

Pros...
Latin Americans.
Weather.
Malls.
Restaurants.
Parks.
There is always something fun to do.
Water everywhere... park lakes, residential lakes, canals, plus the ocean.
The sky is blue year round, sunny. Winter is just two weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami