Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 07:32 AM

426 posts, read 390,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Big Cuban Cigar collector and salsa fan......Cuban Cigars still not legally available in US; annual Habanos cigar event....why do wine collectors go to Italy and France?

Dates of the 18th Habanos Festival to be held in 2016 | Habanos s.a - Sitio Oficial

The US is flooded with fake Cohibas, and the cream of the crop is sold in New York, Switzerland, London and Kyoto.

As to the Annual Habanos..a propaganda event. You can find much better Cuban cigars in Spanish tobaconists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 08:25 AM

892 posts, read 851,709 times
There are already cheap options, the Bahamas, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, Jamaica. Beautiful weather and more consistent in January/February than Miami, beautiful beaches, your airplane ticket will be about the same to these places as it's Miami but you will spend far less on hotels and food.

I think people fail to realize that Miami has a niche on the kind tourism it attracts. It's just not a warm/beach getaway. It's also an international scene with some of the best nightlife in the world.

And there, Cuba will never make a dent. I mean for Canadians, they can already go to Cuba and already do, but they also still come to Miami.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:26 AM

7,375 posts, read 6,429,894 times
Well aware of the fakes in the US, which is why my sources are from Cuba, London, Hong Kong, Mexico and Geneva. I am also close and personal friends of the owner of 4 LCDH franchises who has direct and frequent access to the execs at Habanos SA--with whom I spent 3 days at the end of last year ("Innocente", President of Habanos S.A. and Carmen, Director of Worldwide LCDH).

Have you even been to the Habanos event?...great event with specially/limited produced humidors and cigars as well as visits to El Laguito (Cohiba factory) that is otherwise closed to the public. If it's such a waste of time, as you claim, why would 1200 of the top Habanos distributors, experts, aficionados and collectors from around the world bother to come each year and drop up to $352,000--whicha Cohiba humidor fetched this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodill View Post
The US is flooded with fake Cohibas, and the cream of the crop is sold in New York, Switzerland, London and Kyoto.

As to the Annual Habanos..a propaganda event. You can find much better Cuban cigars in Spanish tobaconists.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-24-2016 at 09:48 AM..

Old 03-24-2016, 08:32 AM

I am not into scuba diving, but my friends who are and went raved about the diving near the Bay of Pigs (the ocean drops about 1000 feet 25 feet out from the shore) as well as Isla de la Juventud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotsen View Post
The Cuban beaches are more beautiful than Miami beaches(way more, believe me, I grew up in the island. The sand is whiter than it is here and the water is extra blue and clean), also, you don't get shark attacks, I used to go to Varadero Beach on a daily basis cause I lived near there and I would swim pretty far from the shore to the point where I could not touch the bottom with my feet and never got bitten by sharks. I am under the impression that when Cuba opens its doors to the world and american corporations start settling down in places like Varadero, Miami will have to work hard to attract americans from up north.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Well aware of the fakes in the US, which is why my sources are from Cuba, London, Hong Kong, Mexico and Geneva. I am also close and personal friends of the owner of 4 LCDH franchises who has direct and frequent access to the execs at Habanos SA--with whom I spent 3 days at the end of last year ("Innocente", President of Habanos S.A. and Carmen, Director of Worldwide LCDH).

Have you even been to the Habanos event?...great event with specially/limited produced humidors and cigars as well as visits to El Laguito (Cohiba factory) that is otherwise closed to the public. If it's such a waste of time, as you claim, why would 1200 of the top Habanos distributors, experts, aficionados and collectors from around the world bother to come each year and drop up to $352,000--whicha Cohiba humidor fetched this year?

Why do people go to that event? Because they have to, the Cuban government exhorts them to go and is a pre-requisite to be a distributor, whatever.. and all of them take a picture of themselves with the son of Castro. Just one of the many fetish that exist in Cuba.

That event is POLITICAL, as everything in Cuba.

People are mythomaniacs, they also shell whatever amount of money to have dinner with politicians or freaks.

Habanos, Imperial or whatever is a front, but the cream of the cream of cigars, don't ask me names, is handled by a Cuban group, the family.

El Laguito is a posh neighbourghood, the fact that they place a cigar factory there is just surreal.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
There are already cheap options, the Bahamas, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, Jamaica. Beautiful weather and more consistent in January/February than Miami, beautiful beaches, your airplane ticket will be about the same to these places as it's Miami but you will spend far less on hotels and food.

I think people fail to realize that Miami has a niche on the kind tourism it attracts. It's just not a warm/beach getaway. It's also an international scene with some of the best nightlife in the world.

And there, Cuba will never make a dent. I mean for Canadians, they can already go to Cuba and already do, but they also still come to Miami.

Really, Cuba as a capitalistic "normal" country would bust Florida and the rest of the area.
Perhaps in the 22th century.
Canadians are not tourists, but "customers of roach hotels" as Castro himself said, awful tourists.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:06 AM

it's a nice event, though the annual Partagas event in November is much smaller and more intimate without as much hoopla....if you have contacts then I am sure you can gain access, as I do, to some cigars not available to the general market.

El Laguito is in a lovely area, though a bit too far removed for my tastes....for years, my favorite place to stay was Casa Gladys (though it's called something else now) in Miramar on 1ra Avenida directly on the ocean right next door to the Acuario Nacional.

Quote:
Why do people go to that event? Because they have to, the Cuban government exhorts them to go and is a pre-requisite to be a distributor, whatever.. and all of them take a picture of themselves with the son of Castro. Just one of the many fetish that exist in Cuba.

That event is POLITICAL, as everything in Cuba.

People are mythomaniacs, they also shell whatever amount of money to have dinner with politicians or freaks.

Habanos, Imperial or whatever is a front, but the cream of the cream of cigars, don't ask me names, is handled by a Cuban group, the family.

El Laguito is a posh neighbourghood, the fact that they place a cigar factory there is just surreal.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-24-2016 at 11:28 AM..

Old 03-24-2016, 11:25 AM

Many years ago, I used to smoke a lot of Cuban cigars and I even had them rolled.
But buying "legal" in Cuba (gov't shops) is dangerous as they switch boxes, and those cigars not available appear everywhere.
If you know A LOT you might get quality fake cigars, but if you loose control and information...they are going to swindle you, as usual.
I used to buy in Barcelona at a very old estanco..the best...and sometimes you could find fake cigars.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:32 AM

speaking of Barca, somebody claimed on the Cigar Aficionado forum that Gimeno has closed--which I would find hard to believe...can you confirm or deny?....not a bad place, though Estanco Casa Fuster, smaller, was my preferred spot when I last visited a few years ago.....re: Cuba, I fully trust Leo who manages the LCDH at Club Habana and have known him for many years. YMMV and it depends whom one knows and trusts. I would NEVER buy anywhere but a LCDH....best custom rolled cigars I've had was from the late Taboada--extra ligero = extra strong.

Quote:
Many years ago, I used to smoke a lot of Cuban cigars and I even had them rolled.
But buying "legal" in Cuba (gov't shops) is dangerous as they switch boxes, and those cigars not available appear everywhere.
If you know A LOT you might get quality fake cigars, but if you loose control and information...they are going to swindle you, as usual.
I used to buy in Barcelona at a very old estanco..the best...and sometimes you could find fake cigars.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:03 PM

892 posts, read 851,709 times
Quote:
Really, Cuba as a capitalistic "normal" country would bust Florida and the rest of the area.
Perhaps in the 22th century.
Canadians are not tourists, but "customers of roach hotels" as Castro himself said, awful tourists.
I highly doubt it. Let's face it, no Caribbean city is even near Miami. Miami has it's own appeal based on being a glamorous warm city with beaches and nightlife. No Caribbean city can give you all of that - they give you hookers, grungy nightlife, and ofc, even more beautiful beaches? But glamorous nightlife? No, only during certain key events do some of the spots there attract the rich and famous. The rest of the year it's just cruises and people wanting a beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami