Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 08:23 AM

779 posts, read 928,048 times

Advertisements

How's the public transportation in Miami?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 09:19 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,747,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
How's the public transportation in Miami?
Is this a joke?

Miami doesn't really have public transportation other the metro rail and bus system. Hence why folks need a car here and traffic it really bad almost all of the time.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:28 AM

779 posts, read 928,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
Is this a joke?

Miami doesn't really have public transportation other the metro rail and bus system. Hence why folks need a car here and traffic it really bad almost all of the time.
Hmmm, I thought I remembered reading something about Miami having one of the better public transit systems, especially for being in the south.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:05 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,941,918 times
If you can stick to the Metrorail and Metromover lines or stay on the Beach, Biscayne below 79th, Little Havana, Downtown Coral Gables if you're adventurous, it's "usually" ok. You can manage if you have patience. Apart from that, you're talking about long bus rides on unreliable busses that get stuck in traffic and often break down which really, really sucks and is not recommended. 70% of the County bus fleet is beyond it's useful life time! No GPS tracking of busses either. You can usually use Citibike, Car2Go, or Uber as a backup plan and/or for weekends and evenings.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,942 times
Pitiful.

I ride my bike from North Miami 8 miles to the Overtown Metro-Rail Station and then take the train to South Miami where I work. 90 minutes all together.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami ant View Post
Pitiful.

I ride my bike from North Miami 8 miles to the Overtown Metro-Rail Station and then take the train to South Miami where I work. 90 minutes all together.
Yeah, NE Dade is pretty underserved...it's only busses up there, and they're always getting stuck in traffic, not to mention many routes are convoluted and run infrequently. Our bus system has actually gotten worse after we voted for the half penny tax back in 2002... On top or that, there are no bikeways or bike paths in NE Dade!

Old 07-29-2015, 07:50 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Its Eh at best. People say its horrible. But people need to remember this is the U.S. not Europe. Most cities don't have good transit.

If you live and work downtown or along a metrorail line its actually decent. Anywhere else you need a car.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:43 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami ant View Post
Pitiful.

Why do you bike it? I used to take the bus from North Miami on NE 6th. Ave all the way to downtown Miami.
By the way if you want to know why NE dade doesn't have Metrorail up US 1 / Biscayne Blvd.? You can thank paranoid cities like Miami Shores & Biscayne Park who don't want "undesirables" being transported through their cities.
Sort of like when Miami Beach mayor Dermer said the same thing and ruined the chances for Baylink a decade ago even though Miami Beach residents were in favor of BayLink.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Why do you bike it? I used to take the bus from North Miami on NE 6th. Ave all the way to downtown Miami.
By the way if you want to know why NE dade doesn't have Metrorail up US 1 / Biscayne Blvd.? You can thank paranoid cities like Miami Shores & Biscayne Park who don't want "undesirables" being transported through their cities.
Sort of like when Miami Beach mayor Dermer said the same thing and ruined the chances for Baylink a decade ago even though Miami Beach residents were in favor of BayLink.
It's a huge misconception too. Just look at Merrick Park which is right along the Metro line. Even has a free trolley if you don't want to walk the 7 minutes. Nope, not many undesirables there. Meanwhile...many undesirables in some parts of North Miami and North Miami Beach which just have bus routes which just kind of exist as lines on paper but not much else.

Neighborhoods go up and downhill based on other factors--having mass transit is pretty irrelevant.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:04 AM

604 posts, read 618,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Miami Beach has its own crop of undesirables, however I think their opposition was fueled by the fear of the beach hotel industry being displaced by Miami hotels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami