Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 05:11 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,302 times

Advertisements

Yes I do believe in Global Climate Change and I heard Miami Beach is one of the first places in the US that will have problems with rising oceans. Someone who I respect decided not to buy there for this reason.

Is this true?

Are there ways Miami Beach can protect itself?

Is the entire island vulnerable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 05:49 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
Nobody can answer your question, because nobody can predict the future.

Are there going to be big problems down the road? Sure seems like it based off the scientific reports. Is the area just going to stand idle and get swallowed by the ocean? No, I don't believe so.

I think we're eventually going to see required fill to raise the land height.

If you're truly concerned that nothing will be done, you can always head to Palm Beach County. Most of it is around 20 feet above sea level.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:52 PM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Google it.
They're spending millions fighting it.

Mother Nature will win in the end but it seems the politicians and builders want to squeeze every dime out of Miami Beach while they can.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:02 PM

823 posts, read 1,125,799 times
It won't happen in our lifetime, and while there's been a loss of ice in the north pole, the south pole has increased it's icepack in recent years, possibly balancing itself out.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:05 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,033,761 times
What's worse is the tides. Before the ocean rising enough actually submerges Miami, the high tide is going to flood in on a daily basis, so you'll have daily flooding, King tides, storm flooding, etc.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:33 AM

719 posts, read 1,332,732 times
Absolutely! The effects are already happening now. Good thing is, man is kicking the can back about 50-60yrs. Possibly longer. City of Miami Beach and other local areas are spending tremendous money on pumps and raising sea walls. This is just the natural evolution of tropical South FL....This is also going on in Bangkok and other cities around the world that are flat and low lying. Islands in the Pacific are already moving people to Malaysia or Indonesia and trying to figure out citizenship status due to them understanding they will not be here the next 100yrs.

So the issue is real, and for the USA it's starting 1st in Miami and lowland Maryland. Miami is unique due to the Geography and composite makeup being limestone. So in addition to the water rising, when the level breaks even with the canals , the water will not be able to flow via gravity and will come through the ground causing lots of spot flooding. So it won't just be coastal issues. It will be issues for homeowners inland as well. I am optimistic in this issue and have faith our engineers will come up with something to save billions of dollars for the metropolitan area, but the issues S. FLA has ahead of it are definitely planetary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fPSYLhx7ls

Old 03-28-2016, 10:15 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,193 times
Whether or not the ocean levels rise, Miami Beach is a barrier island, and much of it is fill. By their nature barrier island are shifting sands and left to nature barrier islands migrate and inlets open and close with storms.

IN 2012 Hurricane Sandy opened a new inlet at Mantoloking (one of the wealthiest communities in NJ BTW) There was an inlet there back in colonial times. Hurricanes or big winter storms will open and close inlets all along the east coast.

The next hurricane poses more of a risk than the anticipated raise in ocean levels. I have been hearing about the catastrophic raise in sea levels for over 20 years now. And its been since 1992 since a major hurricane directly hit the Miami area, long overdue.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:18 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,865,706 times
The issue with Miami Beach is not climate but development. For decades development has made changes to the way the beaches develop. Sand is not something that stays in one place. Wind and water move it around so when you block its path it will find another. Spring tides are always very high around here so don't judge a one or two night event on global warming. I remember last year the idiot Gore came during one of those tides and gave his chicken little speech. Not saying global warming isn't real but there are other causes.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:21 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
And its been since 1992 since a major hurricane directly hit the Miami area, long overdue.
Bravo!

It AMAZES me how the realtors, developers, and politicians sell people on the idea that there hasn't been one in years, therefore, the odds are there won't be one.... we're due... unfortunately.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:09 AM

874 posts, read 899,921 times
I feel that the incentives to develop solutions to Global Warming will increase as the problem begins to manifest and wreck economic damage. No government or corporation really wants to shoulder the cost of the solution, but once the costs exceed the damage that will change.

And yes, we're overdue for a hurricane, but I hope we escape again this year.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami