Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 01:31 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times

Advertisements

not just Miami...anywhere....unfortunately, I hold people to my common courtesy expectations that were taught (at times, drilled into my head with a slap from my father) such as letting someone off an elevator before you get on, letting someone out of a building before you go in, holding a door open for the person behind you and acknowledging by saying thank you when someone else does the same for you, cleaning up your sweat from a piece of gym equipment when you are through, not texting and taking 5 minutes between sets at a gym when others are waiting for the equipment you are using, asking someone if an unoccupied chair at their table is being used rather than just sitting down without acknowledging them, etc. etc.....I do happen to notice when these acts are not reciprocated more often than when they are....maybe I'm living in the "Father Knows Best", "Donna Reed Show" 1950's of the past and have to revise my common courtesy standards downwards.

as far as being a pedestrian, one definitely needs to pay much more attention when crossing streets in Miami/Miami Beach....it's definitely much closer to NYC from that perspective than, say, California where the pedestrian is king.

Curious as to your thoughts of a scooter......it has been suggested I consider buying one when I move to Miami Beach--however, curious if it's only a matter of time before an aggressive driver mows me down. Do you or do you know of many people who have scooters and how high is the risk factor of being clipped by an aggressive driver in an automobile??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
I think constant fixation on Miamians being 'rude' colors perceptions. You tend to notice rudeness and forget about niceness. Try the experiment, and look for the color 'red', you will notice it in a lot more places than before.

This is an example of how pessimistic people reinforce their misery. Though I will be first to admit that driving in Miami will wear your patience, driving in this city is the single biggest factor on QOL. Best move to a neighborhood where you don't need to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 02:27 PM

one area where they really are super nice is the hotel industry in Miami....there have been 4 hotels that have allowed me to check in early upon arrival from an overnight, redeye flight as early as 6:30AM without charging me extra, pending room availability....that is super nice...granted, I have Platinum status with one hotel chain at 2 of the hotels and am a repeat customer at the other 2....regardless, they have come through when it has not been necessary to do so--let alone without charging me.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:43 PM

892 posts, read 859,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post

Curious as to your thoughts of a scooter......it has been suggested I consider buying one when I move to Miami Beach--however, curious if it's only a matter of time before an aggressive driver mows me down. Do you or do you know of many people who have scooters and how high is the risk factor of being clipped by an aggressive driver in an automobile??
I don't know anyone personally with scooters. I once heard that scooters allowed people who couldn't either get a license or insurance (forgot which) to purchase one because the size of the engine is "small enough." Never researched it.

Personally I view a scooter as a "tourist thing", there are plenty of scooter rentals around the Beach as it's somewhat iconic of Miami Beach. TBH, I don't see many scooters *at all* off the Beach. I'd be scared to take one on the highway, but maybe you're more brave than me

Old 04-11-2016, 08:46 AM

Majami...speaking of nice, as in nice looking Latinas,have you had a chance to check out River Yacht Club yet?...Blue horseshoe loves this place on Friday nights and Sunday afternoons. A little slice of the Hamptons in Miami.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Majami...speaking of nice, as in nice looking Latinas,have you had a chance to check out River Yacht Club yet?...Blue horseshoe loves this place on Friday nights and Sunday afternoons. A little slice of the Hamptons in Miami.
Yes, I'm actually a member but I usually just dock my boat and rarely eat or socialize there. I'm much more active at the yacht club at the Portofino.

As it happens I was at River this Saturday, but just to dock my boat and go to Zuma for brunch. Btw, have you been to Zuma yet? Their brunch is a *must*, I recommended them in some other thread along with many others, so I think you missed that.

Btw, if you're looking for Italian try Casa Tua on the Beach, see if you like that one.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:22 AM

Yacht Club Portifino, as in condos in SoFi?...stayed there for a month in May 2014...great location.

Very familiar with Zuma--did not know about brunch...chef came over to RYC from Zuma...also familiar with Casa Tua--stayed directly across the street at Kaskades Suites this past week...seems like more of a place to bring a date for dinner.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Yacht Club Portifino, as in condos in SoFi?...stayed there for a month in May 2014...great location.

Very familiar with Zuma--did not know about brunch...chef came over to RYC from Zuma...also familiar with Casa Tua--stayed directly across the street at Kaskades Suites this past week...seems like more of a place to bring a date for dinner.
Yup.

It's very romantic and classy when eating outside but inside it's very chic and trendy. It's Miami, I hate to say it, but it's very easy to find a woman to accompany you to a high-end restaurant if you pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami