Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 07:20 PM

892 posts, read 859,006 times

Advertisements

Everyone says Miami people are rude, don't even acknowledge you on the street, don't make small talk and make you feel special.

Now listen to this perspective, my cousin (from Serbia) has been visiting since early March. Today I finally had some time to chat with her on her impressions of Miami. She said many things, but one of the things she complained about was that Americans were too fake nice, always saying things they didn't mean just to be polite, making unnecessary chit-chat. Since her only experience with America is Miami, she is basically saying Miami residents are overtly polite.

I almost burst out laughing, and she looked at me a bit weird. I was laughing because I remembered all the posters on CD complaining, endlessly about the opposite.

Maybe it's an European thing, I notice many Europeans love Miami and the Americans who particularly didn't like Miami happen to be from the midwest or the south. I can only imagine what she'd say if she visited those places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 11:04 AM

874 posts, read 899,259 times
Miami definitely has a reputation problem. A good part of it is that for the average 40 year old, they watched Miami Vice and remember the Cuban rafts arriving in the 1990s. The fact that time has past is irrelevant, those are their memories. The fact that many people in Miami speak Spanish as their first language really doesn't help either. But really, Miami is fast becoming a major world city again, despite any lingering doubts.

(And I suppose I should note, I'm midwestern raised, my family has been in the country over 150 years, grew up English only, etc. I'm the exception to the rule).

Old 03-28-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
Miami definitely has a reputation problem. A good part of it is that for the average 40 year old, they watched Miami Vice and remember the Cuban rafts arriving in the 1990s. The fact that time has past is irrelevant, those are their memories. The fact that many people in Miami speak Spanish as their first language really doesn't help either. But really, Miami is fast becoming a major world city again, despite any lingering doubts.

(And I suppose I should note, I'm midwestern raised, my family has been in the country over 150 years, grew up English only, etc. I'm the exception to the rule).
I said this before but Miami to me is the most European-culturally influenced city in the USA. To my shock, I noticed Miami-locals (not FOB immigrants) exchange kisses on the cheeks as a kind of greeting only common in Europe and Latin America.

Keep in mind that Cubans are very European influenced as they're largely Spaniards transplanted to that island. They absorbed some influences from the indigenous locals and African slaves they brought to the island, but culturally they're closer to Europeans than in many ways Americans, well Americans are culturally more northern European whereas Cubans are more southern European culturally.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:25 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Miami is so nice they named it twice. Wait, no. That's some other place

Old 03-28-2016, 02:40 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
To my shock, I noticed Miami-locals (not FOB immigrants) exchange kisses on the cheeks as a kind of greeting only common in Europe and Latin America.
Who are the Miami locals and who are the FOBs?

Old 03-28-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Who are the Miami locals and who are the FOBs?
Very simple,

FOB = "Fresh off the Boat" = recent immigrants (not born in the USA)
Miami locals = those born in the USA and Miami specifically.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:25 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Very simple,

FOB = "Fresh off the Boat" = recent immigrants (not born in the USA)
Miami locals = those born in the USA and Miami specifically.
What am I then?

I came to the US in 1990, but ended up in NYC. Then moved to South Florida in 2000. Am I still an FOB ?

Old 03-28-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
What am I then?

I came to the US in 1990, but ended up in NYC. Then moved to South Florida in 2000. Am I still an FOB ?
Grey area. Don't know really, but strictly speaking if I see you greet people by kissing them on the cheek, I wouldn't be surprised. You came from Europe, so you're European culturally. But when I see locals (born and raised do it) I'm surprised, that means European culture is dominant in Miami.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:35 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
I spend the winter months in the FL Keys in a RV Park. My experience is not very positive with Cubans who come down here with car loads of kids, who are rude, loud and disrespectful not only to others but their own parents. Some Cuban families are very nice but the majority of them pay absolutely no attention to rules or respect of others property. I am from the northeast, not the midwest or south. It is not only my opinion but many who stay at the same place. In fact there are older Cubans who complain about the kids lack of control and respect.

On the morning and evening news there is a constant barrage of violent crime in Miami. I am not impressed with Miami at all.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:20 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,202 times
My experience down here has been quite good actually. One of the notable qualities of the Miamians I have met is that they have been very HELPFUL. They give you a heads up if there's something you should know, and as far as rudeness that I have encountered, it has been mostly a driving thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami