Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 08:27 PM

21 posts, read 29,085 times

Advertisements

Why is that many(If not most)people nowadays think that all people Latin American descent are nonwhite?I can understand if they have significant Amerindian and/or Black Admixture(As is the case with most Mexicans and Dominicans),but how can person reconcile saying that an individual like this Cuban-American gentleman(Who's phenotype is of pure Southern European inspiration and clearly Mediterranean*)or this woman(Who is also of Cuban descent and is obviously Nordic)below is not Caucasian(White)with their logic?I mean has the erroneous notion that Hispanic is a race become so embedded in the American psyche that people have completely lost touch reality?

Mediterraneans

Nordics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 04:56 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,301,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokpikr999 View Post
Why is that many(If not most)people nowadays think that all people Latin American descent are nonwhite? I can understand if they have significant Amerindian and/or Black Admixture(As is the case with most Mexicans and Dominicans),but how can person reconcile saying that an individual like this Cuban-American gentleman(Who's phenotype is of pure Southern European inspiration and clearly Mediterranean*)or this woman(Who is also of Cuban descent and is obviously Nordic)below is not Caucasian (White)with their logic?I mean has the erroneous notion that Hispanic is a race become so embedded in the American psyche that people have completely lost touch reality?
It's not just nowadays. It goes back a long time, probably to the 1800s.

Better to ask why do US Census and other official documents at all levels of US, state and local governments impose questions about, categorize and divide individual human beings along those lines, or any lines?

Some countries, like France, forbid such official policy. For better and for worse.

Good Luck!

Old 05-22-2016, 07:55 AM

400 posts, read 515,575 times
Anyone informed person, by school, research or observation, will know that ethnicity and race are separate things. So people who assume a race just based on ethnicity are misinformed.
Just like the picture samples given, I've met white and very dark skinned people, both Caribbeans.
Or other regions, Argentina for example where the population is influenced by European migrants from Centuries ago, all Hispanic, White.
And some, maybe difficult to interpret, situations, like Asians from India who migrated generations ago to say England or Sweden, technically they are European, Asian.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:49 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,967,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuito View Post
Or other regions, Argentina for example where the population is influenced by European migrants from Centuries ago, all Hispanic, White.
That's not totally correct. Plenty of Argentinians are mixed, there is plenty of Amerindian descent and some African too. It was the other way around, a lot of white immigrants moved to Argentina in the late 19th and early 20th century and they whitened the country

Hopefully this topic will get shut down. This topic has been discussed a million times. No one cares. As long as you have a Latino last name, an accent or your skin tone is type III or above you will never be considered a "white person" in this country. Get over it.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:33 AM

977 posts, read 1,010,894 times
Well ethnically/ racially they are white. I'm not sure how people could not see that?

Old 05-23-2016, 03:00 AM

122 posts, read 113,238 times
Goes back to the "Black Legend". When Spain was the largest empire on earth and was fighting against protestants, Dutch, English, the Dutch printers wrote a pamphlet against Spain accusing the empire of the worst atrocities.

In those pamphlets, Spanish were described as swarthy looking, not properly white, etc. As the US is still in many ways anchored in the 17th century, many protestant denominations are inspired by the Black Legend. Irish, as Spanish allies, were also targeted and they were also called all sort of names.

Still today, English are the only ones in the continent that call themselves "white" in contrast to the continent.

The same type of pamphlets have been used against Americans, calling them Indian scalpers, Gangsters, Jewboys, Corrupt, Heathenish scoundrels, etc. White people on Latin America call them "white indians".

Old 05-23-2016, 03:21 AM

122 posts, read 113,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuito View Post
Anyone informed person, by school, research or observation, will know that ethnicity and race are separate things. So people who assume a race just based on ethnicity are misinformed.
Just like the picture samples given, I've met white and very dark skinned people, both Caribbeans.
And some, maybe difficult to interpret, situations, like Asians from India who migrated generations ago to say England or Sweden, technically they are European, Asian.

Latin America is just the same than the US but MUCH OLDER.
There are ethnic/racial ghettoes everywhere, but there's also a class that does not exist yet in the US called "criollos"...as the modern term.
Criollos do not belong to any race in particular, they are the "people of the country".
The US does not have "criollos" and maybe the country will fall apart before such thing happens.
Argentina is 60 percent ethnically European and 40 percent criollo/indian/andean.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:14 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,865,135 times
I think it is strange that so many people dwell on the 3% of our bodies that make us different. People start wars over the margins of what our bodies look like on the outside. I like the old saying "Don't judge a man at first glance. It's better to get to know him because you may find a lot more things to hate about him"

"Latin America is just the same than the US but MUCH OLDER." I love this because it shows ignorance. Think about it.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:14 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,743,113 times
I have a friend who has Cuban parents and is a very good looking blond haired man. As far as I know I have a Spanish ancestor and I am 6'6" tall. Personally I am against the "Hispanic" classification as it has no meaning in a mixed world.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:09 PM

14 posts, read 23,470 times
I don't like how people try to compare the races. We are ALL just human and it has always been that way. I have a fam member who can be really racist and he talks about blacks in Africa and how they are still underdeveloped. HELLO? That's because the Europeans who colonized the land took all their resources and sold them into slavery.

He is actually pretty smart, but ignorant in so many ways. Its gotten to the point where I can't talk to him anymore and I don't invite him over for holiday dinners because he disrupts everyone's peace. Why can't we all just get along? It's 2016!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami