Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 07:20 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
A friend of mine is a sales guy at one of these luxury car dealerships and 90% of his business is lease. I wonder how many of these people could actually afford to buy the car out right?
People lease luxury cars, not because they can't afford to buy, but because it's usually smarter financially to lease these types of cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 02:41 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,744,304 times
Actually it is kind of disappointing on what they call "luxury" cars now. Whether it is my Imperial, or a friend's 1967 Rolls Royce or the Mercedes 600 another close friend has, those are luxury to me. The 4 door Porsche or cheap looking Bentley, overpriced Maybach and Maseratis that look like Toyotas just do not have the size or style of the classics. In my view if I wanted a real nice car I would have a Duesenberg and really turn heads. Unlike LA which is another fake city, Miami sadly lacks classic cars.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:46 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,744,304 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG7W1hu3ljs

The drawback is that unlike your run of the mill Mercedes, BMW, Lexus or Maserati if you see someone in one of these there's a pretty good chance its Tallrick. You would NEVER see me driving anything without 8 cylinders and chrome bumpers.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:19 PM

289 posts, read 305,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Actually it is kind of disappointing on what they call "luxury" cars now. Whether it is my Imperial, or a friend's 1967 Rolls Royce or the Mercedes 600 another close friend has, those are luxury to me. The 4 door Porsche or cheap looking Bentley, overpriced Maybach and Maseratis that look like Toyotas just do not have the size or style of the classics. In my view if I wanted a real nice car I would have a Duesenberg and really turn heads. Unlike LA which is another fake city, Miami sadly lacks classic cars.
And yet every one of the cars you listed is really significantly more luxurious, and more expensive adjusted for inflation, than the "classics". There's a reason pre-1990s Rolls Royces and Bentleys in pristine condition are selling for the same as a moderately-apportioned Camry (not counting the limited collectors cars). It's because they largely are terrible. They had massive issues with fit, the mechanical and electrical systems were built by engineers who were obviously very offended at the idea that a car could last longer than two years, the designs were derivative. There are very few luxury cars that haven't gotten better since 2000.

By the way, Bentley makes several large cars. There's a reason the Continental is the most popular, though, and it's not just because it's (relatively) cheap. It's because the large luxuries were built to be driven by someone else. If you're driving your own Maybach or Mulsainne or Rolls anything, you're doing it wrong. The era of the chauffer is over, and the smaller luxuries that are actually enjoyable to drive are a sign of that and a reaction to that.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
And yet every one of the cars you listed is really significantly more luxurious, and more expensive adjusted for inflation, than the "classics". There's a reason pre-1990s Rolls Royces and Bentleys in pristine condition are selling for the same as a moderately-apportioned Camry (not counting the limited collectors cars). It's because they largely are terrible. They had massive issues with fit, the mechanical and electrical systems were built by engineers who were obviously very offended at the idea that a car could last longer than two years, the designs were derivative. There are very few luxury cars that haven't gotten better since 2000.

By the way, Bentley makes several large cars. There's a reason the Continental is the most popular, though, and it's not just because it's (relatively) cheap. It's because the large luxuries were built to be driven by someone else. If you're driving your own Maybach or Mulsainne or Rolls anything, you're doing it wrong. The era of the chauffer is over, and the smaller luxuries that are actually enjoyable to drive are a sign of that and a reaction to that.
I always get a kick when people suggest the "classics" were just so much better. It's kind of cool to see them around, simply because they are old and interesting... but a better car they are not. The fit, finish, and engineering of modern cars lays the classics to waste.

Good points about the cars being smaller now. Never thought of it that way. Though with cars like the Equus, even Hyundai is getting in on the chauffeured buyers.

Also consider that the Sport Luxury segment is possibly the largest market now. Luxury car buyers want sporty and fast, not big and boaty.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:34 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,915,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
Can we drop this "omg leading is stupid lol" bit? It's no more stupid than buying. I get a nice, new car every three years, I don't have to worry about depreciation or maintenance, and I get to keep my capital invested and generating a much higher return than the money u would have saved by buying in cash. Ultimately, it's far more cost effective, unless you plan on driving your car for a decade plus. Which I don't, since I quite enjoy new cars. As do many people.

That's the whole point of making money - to transform it into personally valuable experiences.

I never said leasing is stupid. Just that it's a cheaper way to keep up with the Jones.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:36 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,915,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
A friend of mine who sells for Mercedes said 90% of his business are leases here in Miami.

That makes sense. Cheaper payment.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
I never said leasing is stupid. Just that it's a cheaper way to keep up with the Jones.
Wouldn't it be stupid to get the same car, and go the "expensive way"?

Old 08-07-2016, 07:28 AM

7 posts, read 4,761 times
I have a 1999 mercedes Diesel and in very good shape as I am the second owner. It runs great. I am trading it for a 1959 chevy bel air thats is in very good condition. Personally I would not worry about driving an older car. Most likely the people you see driving these cars are paying through the nose just to be seen driving one. I'll be driving a 1959 bel air and comfortable knowing that it is all paid off.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:53 PM

683 posts, read 853,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
The luxury cars that you see young people (college age) drive usually belong to their wealthy parents.
Hmm. There is definitely some truth to this, but Miami is very materialistic. People "look the part" Too many people I've known will have a car like that and live with parents or several room mates. Essential broke trying to look like they have money. No age limit on this in Miami or South FL in general. Also most of these cars are leased. I was the reverse. I couldn't fathom spending money on some the depreciates like that. I had the nice condo, but not the luxury car.

From my experience Palm Beach is where you probably can bet that they have the house or condo to go along with the car. Not saying that you don't have the wanna be's there either, but it's prevalent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami