Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 01:47 PM

4,861 posts, read 2,672,101 times

Advertisements

a car should be used and looked at as a tool..nothing more..drive the most mundane, blend in with the landscape type of car you can get..being only concerned with it's reliability and safety and forget about 'keeping up with the Jones's'..work to save money for real things in life like financial security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 02:28 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Because old cars usually rust away before 2016, especially Dodges.... So it's rare to see one. I'd probably point and take a picture, too.

Wouldn't it make sense that cars have only gotten better over the last 45 years?
Personally I think cars are uglier and more boring than they were. The electronic gizmos do not impress me either. My only regret is how unsafe many older cars are due to poor structural design. While a hellcat Charger can outrun my 1969 with its 440 engine it just is an ugly duckling looks wise.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:28 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
a car should be used and looked at as a tool..nothing more..drive the most mundane, blend in with the landscape type of car you can get..being only concerned with it's reliability and safety and forget about 'keeping up with the Jones's'..work to save money for real things in life like financial security.
That's what they told us in USSR.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:46 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Personally I think cars are uglier and more boring than they were. The electronic gizmos do not impress me either. My only regret is how unsafe many older cars are due to poor structural design. While a hellcat Charger can outrun my 1969 with its 440 engine it just is an ugly duckling looks wise.
The hellcat is one faaast car.... but ugly. We could definitely agree on that. I would never buy one. But I do very much like the electronic gizmos and I tend to lean towards cars that have a lot of technological advancement. Drivers assistance tech is a game changer when it comes to safety. In the next 5 - 10 years, it's going to save a ton of lives.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:39 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Challengers aren't ugly. Dunno what you all are talking about.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:35 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
I think all the Dodge cars are hideous. But they still sell some of them, so not everyone agrees. I don't personally like American cars at all. Except for Ford trucks. Everyone should have a Ford truck in the driveway.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:47 AM

289 posts, read 305,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
If luxury cars are so great, why is it that my used cars get so much more attention? Driving my 1969 Charger, Imperial. even the 1970 truck attracts people who look, take pics and ask questions.
For the same reason people stared and asked questions when I restored a 1998 Sony Vaio laptop and had it on the desk in my lobby. It's an antique, hence a curiosity. It's not better in any way than anything made this decade (actually worse in pretty much every measurable way), but it's uncommon enough that people are curious.

As a side note, people stop me and ask questions about my Mini all the time as well, and it's not even a rare car. People have attractions to weird cars, and some people have goofy preferences.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:05 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
I had some coworkers who spent outrageous money to rent big shot cars just for a weekend.
Just to be seen in them.

My ex wanted to buy me an Audi to replace a Ford Escape that I was perfectly happy with.
I refused. It just seemed the biggest waste of money.
Personally I'm just not a car person except I do like old classic cars.

Defining yourself on what kind of car you drive is pretty pathetic.
(I'm not saying anyone on this thread does.)

It's not like when someone drives by in a nice car anyone thinks, "omg! That person is so cool!"
They think the car is cool.

But South Florida is what it is

Last edited by cfbs2691; 05-28-2016 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 05-29-2016, 03:31 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Some of my Hispanic coworkers explained to me that there is also competition among some of the immigrants arriving in the US to look as though they have achieved prosperity, or wealth, so to that end they drive expensive cars, wear designer clothes and flashy jewelry whatever they can to show their real, or imagined wealth.
That's a total copout. The exact same behavior is rampant in Latin America. This behavior is in their DNA and in their culture.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:10 PM

289 posts, read 305,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
A lot of people do both. Not everyone, obviously, and not everyone can afford to, but a lot of people have incredible financial security AND nice things.

And ultimately, what's financial security worth if you live in self-imposed monasticism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami